Timing is everything

RivercityCane

Banned
Banned
The great debate right now amongst fellow Canes fans is, inarguably, whether Mario or Lane should be the next coach of our beloved Hurricanes. I have witnessed great cases/arguments made in support of each candidate’s bid for the gig.

It basically boils down to (3) main points of contention; 1). Tenure/“program building”. How long will each coach stay? 2). Recruiting. Who’s the better recruiter? Who can stack the type of talent needed to take the next step? And 3). Coaching. Quite simply, who’s the better game day, X’s and O’s guy? When listening to the arguments either way, I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone is basically correct? The main thing causing the rift amongst us is “timing”. Both of these coaches will, I believe, do very well at Miami, but at different times.

To the first point, tenure/program building, the general consensus has been that Mario would have a longer tenure here, thereby providing stability and build up the program via recruiting and the like. Conversely, the general consensus has been that Kiffin is more of a journeyman and will only stay a few years before he’s off to the NFL. Ok. Here’s the complexity regarding this particular point. 1). Will Mario feel comfortable leaving his kids and what he’s built at Oregon before his vision has reached fruition? Will Mario feel comfortable prematurely leaving a program that has seemingly given him everything he’s needed to compete? It’s both a question of loyalty and accomplishment of personal and professional goals. Conversely, there’s no complexity when it comes to Kiffin. He will probably be at Miami for a maximum (4) years and bounce for a better opportunity. But that would almost certainly mean that he’s had success at Miami. Kiffin is eager to return to south Florida and take a very sharp weapon to the collective throat of cfb. His mind is clear and there’s no vacillation of any sort.

To the second point, recruiting. Again, the general consensus is that Mario is the better recruiter. I think the fan base is correct on this point also (although Kiffin isn’t exactly a slouch in this department). I, too, believe Mario will get better players (and more of them) to commit to the Canes. But I, and many others here, also subscribe to the fact that winning is actually the BEST recruiter and point of recruiting has a natural correlation to point (3)-coaching. Again, comes down to timing. Who’s the better game day coach? General consensus? Lane is definitely a better tactician on the sideline. Some believe Mario does less with more (out recruited his competitors, yet struggles with inferior competition) and Kiffin has proven that he can do more with less (see last nights results in relation to this season). So what does all of this have to do with timing? Most of you guys are super smart and already see where I’m going with this- BOTH coaches need to be hired to coach here…but at different times.

Lane needs to be our next coach. Period. Why? Because of point 1). Tenure. While Mario will stay and build up the program, he is not a game day savant and will need exceptional talent to bridge the gap in coaching acumen. He will need time…and WILL drop games early on that he should win. We are an impatient bunch and simply are out of patience after what we’ve endured over the last 15 years or so. As soon as he loses to one of the Tobacco Road teams, the “mopes v. Slurpers” schism is instantly reconstituted and it’s on and poppin’, lol. “Mario’s a corch!” and we are, once again, cobbling together funds to fly banners. Bad timing. But Lane will win RIGHT AWAY. We will NOT drop games to lesser comp and by year 3, I solidly believe we will be a lethal, legit team and in the playoffs. We return to the top and recruiting takes off…but so does kiffin- but only after we have #6 in the trophy case. Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest, Mario has honored his commitment to both himself, and the Oregon program. After continuing to cut his teeth on the PAC 12, he has since become a better game day coach, and has come to the realization that he simply can’t win it all at Oregon. He is watching what Lane is doing at Miami. Lane leaves for the NFL and Mario, without any consternation or regret, finally comes home to a program abuzz AND a stacked roster. This will enable Mario/Miami to maintain success and respectability (i.e. not dropping games to any sh1tty ACC teams not named Clemson) while he continues to grow as a coach and stack talent on his way to building another Canes dynasty. He doesn’t instantly have this insane pressure to win big right away because we, as a fan base, will be still be somewhat satiated by just having won it all couple of years earlier and thus, we don’t “eat our own”. Mario is able to ease into the job and the energy of the program is just…right.

Timing is, indeed everything. Lane first. Mario second. We all win.

Advertisement
If Aranda stays with Baylor would anyone be surprised if they circle back to lane?
I see lane going back to SoCal before going to hog town.

Mario, the recruiting savant vs Lane, Offensive Coordinator Savant.

I think Lane wins more quickly as has been said by LCE. I think the guys driving the money will put their strongest commitment behind Mario not failing as that’s their guy and that matters in its own right too.

I hope we hire Tom Jurich or someone of similar Athletic Department intellect and they make the decision. Either way, as long as the right AD is in place, we’re about to be better off than we’ve been and that’s reason to be happy about things.

Pray for the right AD above all else and the chips will fall in a better direction.

Advertisement
If Aranda stays with Baylor would anyone be surprised if they circle back to lane?
I see lane going back to SoCal before going to hog town.
It’s been reported, and before that, said to me and now on the board by someone who knows Aranda, that he’d be interested in the UM job, though it’s now been reported that he’ll sign an extension in the coming weeks.

Guys, regardless, this is a great moment potentially - Mario, Kiffin, Aranda (if tapped before an extension) - possibly Stoops (high buyout) all interested at least - and the money to properly equip them with staffing and recruiting.

If we are thinking smartly here, this is the way. And another point I’ll add quickly. Hiring Lane first allows us to save money that can/will be better served elsewhere? Right now, if we hire Mario first, we are going to pay out of the nose because we would be effectively paying to tip Mario’s mental scale in our favor when weighed against his conscience when thinking of ditching those kids and that program right now. Why? Let him honor his commitment, and in 3/4 years or so, maybe he doesn’t command what he’s asking for/ worth right now? Moreover, to those that say Lane is effectively his own OC and doesn’t need a high profile guy in that position, thus he can splurge on a top flight DC (for those of us worrying about Kiffin’s defenses), you’re right…great point. Timing and money…

Some well thought out points. But we are getting Mario now or probably never. I don't think you are going to pass him up a third time and he will sit there waiting for you again....unless he spectacularly starts to fail at Oregon, at which point why would we want him. This shouldn't sway the decision but should be considered. I generally want Mario to come here cause i think he can be a badass recruiter and make up for the deficiencies, much like Butch was on his way to doing. Lane, however, intrigues me for what he can do with our offense. I just think he is always looking to leave every job and people who think he wants to be in Miami long term are delusional.

Advertisement
We’ve recruited pretty well given our performance the last 15 years. If you can win here, the brand recruits for itself. That’s why I’m all in on Kiffin. He has a tendency to win fast. He did it at FAU, he did it at USC, and he did it at Ole Miss. Miami is a brand, a true sleeping giant. If you win, the rest takes care of itself. And with TVD at his disposal with the rest of the weapons we have, Kiffin will win 10 games his first year in this weak conference, guaranteed!

Some well thought out points. But we are getting Mario now or probably never. I don't think you are going to pass him up a third time and he will sit there waiting for you again....unless he spectacularly starts to fail at Oregon, at which point why would we want him. This shouldn't sway the decision but should be considered. I generally want Mario to come here cause i think he can be a badass recruiter and make up for the deficiencies, much like Butch was on his way to doing. Lane, however, intrigues me for what he can do with our offense. I just think he is always looking to leave every job and people who think he wants to be in Miami long term are delusional.
That’s the thing…I don’t think Mario really wants to leave Oregon right now? I think the most important thing here is to let Mario know that there is a “new sheriff in town” and that we want him. Let him know that he is really our first choice, but that we understand and respect his commitment and dedication to the Oregon program, that we understand that he has a desire to finish what he started, but that- make no mistake- “Mario, you are our native son and we love you and want you to come home”…”but come home when you feel comfortable coming back home, son”. Let him know he’s both loved and wanted. Maintain a great relationship and when Lane bounces, Mario comes home, riding on a donkey with palm fronds layed in the streets of Coral Gables. There is a way to do this right….

Truly feels like a win-win scenario. Both guys would succeed here, it just depends on what you'd prefer. As has been stated, Mario would give us seemingly more long term stability, build up the trenches, recruit well, be a good fit culturally, etc..... Lane would be able to maximize what we have currently at a quicker pace, have our offense humming in no time, instill that "jerk" mentality we've been missing for a long time, etc...

I'm team Mario currently but if we land either guy, I will be absolutely ecstatic.

Advertisement
That’s the thing…I don’t think Mario really wants to leave Oregon right now? I think the most important thing here is to let Mario know that there is a “new sheriff in town” and that we want him. Let him know that he is really our first choice, but that we understand and respect his commitment and dedication to the Oregon program, that we understand that he has a desire to finish what he started, but that- make no mistake- “Mario, you are our native son and we love you and want you to come home”…”but come home when you feel comfortable coming back home, son”. Let him know he’s both loved and wanted. Maintain a great relationship and when Lane bounces, Mario comes home, riding on a donkey with palm fronds layed in the streets of Coral Gables. There is a way to do this right….
You make this sound way too easy. They are going to recruit both to come probably and end up with who they end up. There is no hey we want you later but are taking this guy now. You don't worry about 3 years from now, now. Who knows where we will be and who the hot coaches will be then. They are gonna put the full court press on Mario and if that doesn't work, since its the safer bet, then go to a second guy and i'm not sure that will ever be Lane. Not in line with how the Canes think.

If we are thinking smartly here, this is the way. And another point I’ll add quickly. Hiring Lane first allows us to save money that can/will be better served elsewhere? Right now, if we hire Mario first, we are going to pay out of the nose because we would be effectively paying to tip Mario’s mental scale in our favor when weighed against his conscience when thinking of ditching those kids and that program right now. Why? Let him honor his commitment, and in 3/4 years or so, maybe he doesn’t command what he’s asking for/ worth right now? Moreover, to those that say Lane is effectively his own OC and doesn’t need a high profile guy in that position, thus he can splurge on a top flight DC (for those of us worrying about Kiffin’s defenses), you’re right…great point. Timing and money…
I think you touched on something important. There is going to be a big time commitment to the program if mario is hired, but is the same true for lane?

Advertisement
Mario, the recruiting savant vs Lane, Offensive Coordinator Savant.

I think Lane wins more quickly as has been said by LCE. I think the guys driving the money will put their strongest commitment behind Mario not failing as that’s their guy and that matters in its own right too.

I hope we hire Tom Jurich or someone of similar Athletic Department intellect and they make the decision. Either way, as long as the right AD is in place, we’re about to be better off than we’ve been and that’s reason to be happy about things.

Pray for the right AD above all else and the chips will fall in a better direction.

Kiffin and Jurich seem to fit hand and glove. I think the money people want Mario but if they let a guy like Jurich do his thing I could see him go after Kiffin in a heartbeat.

You make this sound way too easy. They are going to recruit both to come probably and end up with who they end up. There is no hey we want you later but are taking this guy now. You don't worry about 3 years from now, now. Who knows where we will be and who the hot coaches will be then. They are gonna put the full court press on Mario and if that doesn't work, since its the safer bet, then go to a second guy and i'm not sure that will ever be Lane. Not in line with how the Canes think.
Well…I don’t think it’s that difficult either. It’s like being in love with an “involved” woman. You let her know that she’s the one, but you respect the fact that she is committed to her family. You both are just waiting on her kid to graduate high school before she leaves dude with a clear conscience… In the meantime…she knows I gotta do me, but this chick is just a “meantime in between time” situation…

I think with Lane if he got to a place where he wanted to be and was paid well, he would stay for a long time.

After USC he needed to rebuild his reputation and has done that well. He has made solid moves and has done well at all stops. The man loves South Florida and if paid well would be in no hurry to leave. All the moves he made he did for a job like this.

I think with Lane if he got to a place where he wanted to be and was paid well, he would stay for a long time.

After USC he needed to rebuild his reputation and has done that well. He has made solid moves and has done well at all stops. The man loves South Florida and if paid well would be in no hurry to leave. All the moves he made he did for a job like this.
If that ends up being the case (Lane is happy and staying put)- Miami STILL wins. Now we have our own “UF version of Spurrier”…with better athletes and fan base😎

Advertisement
Back