Time To Laugh: An Excerpt From Al's End Of Year Letter To

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
the players

2014, for a variety of reasons, was a difficult year for all of us. Truth is none of that matters today. None of it. The only thing that matters is that we learn and grow from it. A year ago at this time TCU was 4 & 8 and did not have the benefit of participating in a bowl game. This year, #6 TCU faced #9 Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl! Those same TCU Horned Frogs. Same Weight Room, Same Playbook, Same Uniforms….Yet a Much DIFFERENT TEAM!

So what changed?

A TEAM is reborn every year. And what makes the difference from year to year is a team’s leadership, being great teammates (Squashing 3rd Parties and hidden agendas) and it’s volition - what team and team members are willing to give up to achieve shared goals! You cannot be a great leader, great teammate or a Championship Team without giving something up. Last year our volition (as determined by the unity council) boiled down to 5 simple values:
1. UNSELFISH – Contribution to others and encouragement; Form of appreciation and Gratitude. No energy Vampires!
2. FOCUSED – Eliminate thinking about the next level. Ignore the Noise (NFL/AGENT/MEDIA). Let go of the outcome. Put Team First!
3. UNIFIED – More team unity; no separation among us (mix more offense and defense). Be a Great Teammate!
4. COMMUNICATE – See it as more of a partnership. Matter of Trust! Let go of agenda. Be solution oriented. Tough Teams Talk!
5. ACCOUNTABLE – Overcome fear of conflict. Be authentic with others. You job is to never get discouraged with the responsibility to hold each other accountable. We need great leaders!

Interesting. This kind of highlights what a fat, stupid, mouth-breathing moron he really is.

It's pretty convenient he lists all these stupid *** reasons that aren't tangible, but he seems to leave out one key part: Gary Patterson completely overhauled his offensive system.

He fired his offensive coordinator and the offensive underwent a complete makeover in terms of scheme and philosophy. That is why they improved from 4-8.

More specifically:

For years, TCU stuck to an offensive philosophy built around trying to out-physical foes and trick them with play action. That style won the Horned Frogs five conference titles while in the Mountain West and Conference USA. They have not won many Big 12 games.

After two years in his new league and a 6-12 record in Big 12 play, TCU coach Gary Patterson knew it was time for a new approach.

[+] EnlargeGary Patterson
Kevin Jairaj/USA TODAY Sports
TCU coach Gary Patterson brought in new coordinators Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie to change the team's offense.
“We’re going to a style of offense that I thought evened the playing field,” Patterson said.

He went out and landed a pair of offensive coordinators who know Big 12 ball to design a hybrid Oklahoma State-Texas Tech scheme that Patterson says will still have “some of the old TCU” in the run game.

But this is the new TCU. No playbook, no huddle, no looking back.

So folks, this is what we are dealing with. Al Golden is not a great football mind. He is a wonderful p.r. guy that believes if you buy into a few buzz words that don't mean jack shlt, everything will come up roses.

He is an infomercial host, not a big time football coach.

When you need to close out FSU in a big time road game on national television, superior coaching and talent is going to get you over the hump, not "unity" or "deserving victory" or any other stupid phrase that doesn't mean jack shlt.

Read the whole letter in this spoiler below: (courtesy of Canespimp433)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I’m so fired up for THE 2015 MIAMI HURRICANES so I wanted to share this with you the moment I woke up on New Year’s Day!!!!!!

Yesterday, I read a book on New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin, who as you all know beat the undefeated Patriots 2 years ago to win the Super Bowl! The Book is entitled “Earn the Right to Win!” Not as catchy as Deserve Victory, but you get the idea!

Anyway, when I read books I rarely read the Foreword. I get right to the meat of it and see what I can use to help our team. However, when I was done with this book I just happened to glance at it. I’m glad I did and I’ll share with you why then ask you to read it (below).

2014, for a variety of reasons, was a difficult year for all of us. Truth is none of that matters today. None of it. The only thing that matters is that we learn and grow from it. A year ago at this time TCU was 4 & 8 and did not have the benefit of participating in a bowl game. This year, #6 TCU faced #9 Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl! Those same TCU Horned Frogs. Same Weight Room, Same Playbook, Same Uniforms….Yet a Much DIFFERENT TEAM!

So what changed?

A TEAM is reborn every year. And what makes the difference from year to year is a team’s leadership, being great teammates (Squashing 3rd Parties and hidden agendas) and it’s volition - what team and team members are willing to give up to achieve shared goals! You cannot be a great leader, great teammate or a Championship Team without giving something up. Last year our volition (as determined by the unity council) boiled down to 5 simple values:
1. UNSELFISH – Contribution to others and encouragement; Form of appreciation and Gratitude. No energy Vampires!
2. FOCUSED – Eliminate thinking about the next level. Ignore the Noise (NFL/AGENT/MEDIA). Let go of the outcome. Put Team First!
3. UNIFIED – More team unity; no separation among us (mix more offense and defense). Be a Great Teammate!
4. COMMUNICATE – See it as more of a partnership. Matter of Trust! Let go of agenda. Be solution oriented. Tough Teams Talk!
5. ACCOUNTABLE – Overcome fear of conflict. Be authentic with others. You job is to never get discouraged with the responsibility to hold each other accountable. We need great leaders!

So, how did we do? I think it’s safe to say that, while we made progress in many of these areas, we didn’t quite achieve 100% buy in from everyone in our organization. Yes, I said organization. Right now players are thinking staff; Staff is thinking players….WE ALL NEED TO BE THINKING TEAM! Every single one of us!

So today, Jan 1st, 2015 I’m asking everyone associated with the Miami Hurricanes to think differently. To make a fresh commitment to our standards, leaders and to each other - becoming better teammates! To be Unselfish, Focused, Unified, Communicate and Accountable. To be part of the solution; not the problem. Moving forward, our volition doesn’t need to change, we need to change our commitment level to it! If we can get 100% buy in on these 5 very basic values we will be unstoppable. ALL OF US! Starting with me.

The following Foreword to Tom Coughlin’s book was written by NFL Hall-of-Famer, Michael Strahan. I truly believe it was put in front of me for a purpose and I believe it will get you to view things differently from your vantage point. Most Importantly, I hope it will inspire YOU to take the first step in improving YOUR area and being part of the “cure”; not the “disease” in 2015! In the end, we all want the same thing…to be the 2015 ACC CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM!

Wishing you and yours a Healthy & Happy 2015! I can’t wait to see all of you on January 11th!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Highly doubt any of the players cared to read that. I don't think many did actually. Good for them.

I'll vouch this is 100% legit and not a WTH troll job. Several players let this out. They don't respect this clown.

Unity council, hidden agendas what kind of man thinks that way and writes crap like that. Fat Al is a whinny little *****, looking for excuses everywhere rather than holding himself accountable.

Advertisement
Using words like volition when talking to his own players, garuntee half the team had to google that ****

He spent the entire letter blaming players for having an "agenda" and blaming their effort and focus.

first, you dumb ************, if they aren't focusing and have "agendas" by year four, it's your fault.

Second, blaming your players for having "agendas" is the dumbest **** ever. These guys are worried about the NFL and outside stuff because they know they can't win **** here. Simply doing what Al says isn't going get them to the league, so good for them.

Last, **** you Golden you soft piece of ****.

Advertisement
the players

So what changed?

The U.F.U.C.A?

Oh great, the same playbook will be back next year. You know, that 6-7 playbook from last year that got us embarrassed multiple times sh*tt*ng the bed on national TV over and over again.

Advertisement
Al Golden is a liar, a football chick, a conman and a ******* coward.

He is a despicable human being that does not belong in a position of authority over anyone.

I wonder how much time Urban Meyer spends writing love letters to his players instead of recruiting 3 weeks prior to signing day.

Advertisement
The pats/giants suberbowl was not two years ago. The ******* has a factual error right at the start. He really seems to have dedicated himself about 45%.

Basically one giant letter blaming everyone but himself.

Unity Council, dodgeball, an ice cream truck at practice, a hybrid carnival/spring game -- the Miami football program has turned into a ******* summer camp for middle school girls.

I'm convinced the Oklahoma drill will be replaced with trust falls this Spring.

Advertisement
Back