Tim Williams commits to Alabama

One of the few instances where I'd say "I just don't think the kid was that good"...

Interested in your view. What didn't you like? He flashed surprisingly solid lateral movement at the all-star game, which was unexpected. Other than that and that he was much lighter than I imagined, the rest was about what I expected.

Advertisement
don't think this kid is in it for the education... why take hard classes if you're only counting on making it to the NFL?

Advertisement
Mom wanting kids to stay closer to home for most regions save for south fla seems to be the norm

Tuscaloosa ain't really all that close to Baton Rouge. It's a 5 hour drive at least. Not many people taking 5 hour drives too regularly.

This Mama stuff is insanely stupid, mama should have let him go to a quality school education wise.

I don't buy any of that "he wanted to be close to home" nonsense. 5 hour drive is NOT close to home. You can't pop in and see moms or your kid whenever you want. And once you start flying, it doesn't matter if it's a 1 hour flight or a two hour flight.

Mom wanting kids to stay closer to home for most regions save for south fla seems to be the norm

Tuscaloosa ain't really all that close to Baton Rouge. It's a 5 hour drive at least. Not many people taking 5 hour drives too regularly.

This Mama stuff is insanely stupid, mama should have let him go to a quality school education wise.

I don't buy any of that "he wanted to be close to home" nonsense. 5 hour drive is NOT close to home. You can't pop in and see moms or your kid whenever you want. And once you start flying, it doesn't matter if it's a 1 hour flight or a two hour flight.

You are correct. I went to college 5 hours by car from home and I only went home a couple of times/year. 5 hours is a long ride.

You are correct. I went to college 5 hours by car from home and I only went home a couple of times/year. 5 hours is a long ride.

what these dude said. LSU is close to home, the rest is a good **** ride

Im sure Corch Golden is telling Williams the exact same stuff you guys are saying. Whether or not he will listen is a different story

Advertisement
One of the few instances where I'd say "I just don't think the kid was that good"...

Interested in your view. What didn't you like? He flashed surprisingly solid lateral movement at the all-star game, which was unexpected. Other than that and that he was much lighter than I imagined, the rest was about what I expected.

LSU really had no interest in him, either, which might be my key cause of concern. We aren't talking about Randy Shannon's Miami Hurricanes where that staff misevaluates local talent all of the time...LSU usually has Louisiana on lockdown and they are usually on point with their evaluations. If Tim Williams was legit the top end in Louisiana and a top prospect, I think LSU (who has taken 7 defensive linemen this year - 4 defensive ends - 2 from in-state) would have been on him, and considering his situation, kept him in the loop at least until around signing day.

Secondly, he was really small, so I question whether or not THAT was why LSU passed on him...he's not the type of defensive linemen they trot out there. His highlights and All-Star game play are ok.

The Alabama offer and commitment maybe reaffirms that he's a good player, but they run a completely different scheme in comparison to Miami and LSU...so maybe they see a rush linebacker...while here and at LSU, he would have been playing on the line and I just saw limitations for him playing there in this scheme and at LSU. I once said "Andrew Smith"...not as a comparison...but Smith was kind of small and while talented, the size limited him a lot here.

who cares we got AQM

this. and Matt Thomas

THis attitude is what gets you 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 7-6. You stack up talent, especially when it comes to pass rushers. Make no mistake, it sucks to not get Williams. Thomas and AQM are better prospects in my opinion, but we need as much help as we can get when it comes to knocking the QB in his ***.
Completely agree, you can never have too much talent, look at Bama, they have 3 monster rbs coming in this class, and they're still hard on Alvin kamara

LSU really had no interest in him, either, which might be my key cause of concern. We aren't talking about Randy Shannon's Miami Hurricanes where that staff misevaluates local talent all of the time...LSU usually has Louisiana on lockdown and they are usually on point with their evaluations. If Tim Williams was legit the top end in Louisiana and a top prospect, I think LSU (who has taken 7 defensive linemen this year - 4 defensive ends - 2 from in-state) would have been on him, and considering his situation, kept him in the loop at least until around signing day.

Secondly, he was really small, so I question whether or not THAT was why LSU passed on him...he's not the type of defensive linemen they trot out there. His highlights and All-Star game play are ok.

The Alabama offer and commitment maybe reaffirms that he's a good player, but they run a completely different scheme in comparison to Miami and LSU...so maybe they see a rush linebacker...while here and at LSU, he would have been playing on the line and I just saw limitations for him playing there in this scheme and at LSU. I once said "Andrew Smith"...not as a comparison...but Smith was kind of small and while talented, the size limited him a lot here.

I think you could have used him as a rush LB here as well and not necessarily relegated him to putting his hand on the ground. I think Lu's statement about lateral movement lends a little bit of credence to that.

However, he wouldn't have been ready for at least a couple years, and in a year with limited scholarship availability AND taking two rush LB hybrids, a guy like Williams - to me at least - was more of a luxury than a necessity.

Advertisement
Bama is bringing in Williams as a LB. After a redshirt year and 12 months in that strength program, he is going to look like a typical Bama monster LB.

I think you could have used him as a rush LB here as well and not necessarily relegated him to putting his hand on the ground. I think Lu's statement about lateral movement lends a little bit of credence to that.

However, he wouldn't have been ready for at least a couple years, and in a year with limited scholarship availability AND taking two rush LB hybrids, a guy like Williams - to me at least - was more of a luxury than a necessity.

I don't think we are in a position to not take **** pass rushers...but, I don't know how you use this kid here, even as a rush linebacker.

Advertisement
Back