Tim Irvin snapchatting wads of cash

Advertisement
For the guys talking about recruits getting paid, how many guys is it on every roster? Football may be a billions of dollars industry, but I highly doubt the schools are funneling any of this money directly. It is all through boosters and they have a finite amount of money to spend per year (you have to be incredibly wealthy for $150k not to matter on top of what you are already spending giving directly to the school), so I can't imagine this happens for more than a few top guys at each school every class.

Additionally, you need access to the kid and his people. Easier for kids from tough backgrounds.

The point is, we may lose a few recruits to bagmen, but it is not every player or even close to the majority. Good recruiters do exist and they are just like good salesmen/businessmen. They build relationships and get kids excited about the school. As evidenced by Florida, you don't have to win (but it helps), you just need momentum to sell. If we have selling points we can still close really good classes in spite of not being able to pay.

A kid comes back from a school visit and flashes wads of cash? Why do you need access to the street agent or bagman? Or these guys even on the trip with the kid? It seems that there is probably some very discreet encounter, perhaps just one-on-one, during the trip. Of course, this might just be an installment, since it only looks like hundreds or a few thousand dollars in his hands. He probably has a commitment of future payments down the line.

In the future, they'll probably give the kids some instructions, like don't post online on twitter, snapchat, etc. Don't deposit on the bank, etc. The government used to get reports of all $10K or more transactions. Maybe they still do, maybe the amount has gone up.

It would be nice if the NSA could provide this info to the NCAA.

I was more referring to big payouts. I understand that slipping kids some walking around money is probably pervasive, but is that really enough to get someone to commit? Maybe so, depending on the kid's background. Just tossing someone tens of thousands of dollars requires a little finesse, though, and the complicity of an adult.

I imagine if Tim were getting a big break-off Cedric would get wind of it and shut things down. Unless you are a sure-fire pro, why risk the exposure you need to make millions on $100k? I realize it is different for families in tough situations, but this is not that type because a) Tim isn't that good, and b) his family is in a relatively good position. It's not the money that sent him to Auburn, that is just an added benefit.

or maybe he saw the light that he didn't have to go all the way to texas to play for a 6-7 team that gets blown out in bowl games

the florida 5 baby

UF hired a new coach and so far they still have a little more of a handful of 3 star commits whats going on?

or maybe he saw the light that he didn't have to go all the way to texas to play for a 6-7 team that gets blown out in bowl games

the florida 5 baby

UF hired a new coach and so far they still have a little more of a handful of 3 star commits whats going on?

They forgot how to pay or something cause you know Florida is known to pay and stuff. My friend who has a friend that knows UF's athletic director says they pay.

Brock I think we know some of the same people. I know exactly what Bama did this year and the amounts. They play big league recruiting, we play waffle ball.

I live in Georgia and I know what they got a recruit from here 2 years back.... Fsu, I have heard someone tell me that they had a nephew that worked in the athletic department at Florida state before and he said they were a very dirty program....

If you have proof of what Alabama was paying and who they were paying, you should post it online. Why would you let them get away with that? ***** them over as hard as you can.

No reason the rules should apply to everyone else but not Alabama.

You don't think SBB and Ridley are getting paid?

Why should he? I just got an indirect threat of violence from another poster if I did the right thing, by reporting to the IRS or NCAA. And it was from somebody who claims to have some kind of relationship with the family of the recruit.

Maybe I should ask the FBI to look in on this board, just in case anything happens to me.

Try to keep up here tough guy. The person switching would be me. The person getting stitches would be me. If you were going to call the Fbi....it would be for my safety.

I have no interest in you getting stitches.

I wish somebody would look into this stuff--as a UM fan we've been getting screwed by this kind of stuff for years.

It was our athletic director, Sam Jankovich, who was apparently very ****ed over our having lost some recruits. One of them, ironically, was a playmaking WR to University of Texas. He was the son of a former NFL star who apparently fell into financial problems. The irony of this was, the father reportedly owed a lot in taxes. We also lost two or three very desired recruits from Chicago to the University of Illinois. The story I heard was, when asst. coach Hubbard Alexander walked into the house at 9 a.m. to sign one of them (it was done differently back then), he found the Univ. of Illinois assistant already there with the kid's signature on the LOI. The assistant coach for Illinois later became our assistant coach, Bob Karmelowicz. Bob later told me it was a "very tough recruitment." I only remember one of the three names, Frank Hartley. They were all LBs or DLs. I also heard later from a friend, that Bob would not have a bundle of cash when he was recruiting for UM. One of the kids who I believed was involved was the late Mel Agee. I know the name of one other, but I'd prefer not to mention him, since he's still alive. (Agee and Karmelowicz) are deceased.

I happened to look at Agee's wiki, and there was a former NFL agent who said he paid Agee "several hundred dollars" while he was still at Illinois. That sucks.

If you're going to cheat, at least do it to make it worthwhile. Why jeopardize your college career and your school's football program for spending change. At least do it big time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Agee

I remember Sam publicly commenting, in a very bitter way, about how this stuff was going on, and how the IRS should look into the unreported income. I'm sure there was a great deal of frustration because we were not doing it. Unfortunately, we've been hurt more from this stuff than we've benefitted. If we were able to buy players to the extent that the big cheaters do, than I think I'd probably begin to lose interest in college football entirely. I have to an extent, because it's become a filthy enterprise.

I understand the plight of the kids who play the game now, coming from relatively poor and maybe very poor backgrounds. They are being exploited by the universities to a great extent, even though they are getting an expensive education. I know a lot of the kids take that seriously and take advantage of it. Some don't. I just know a few of our biggest stars since the 1980's did not get degrees. Ray Lewis, fortunately, eventually went back to school and got his degree, but it was at a different UM. The University of Maryland.

Advertisement
we have no proof that that snapchat is indeed from Irvin.

also, let's not accuse Auburn of paying recruits because it can get them to investigate us and who knows what kind of dirt NCAA may find and what kind of cloud THAT might regenerate

That might be why schools don't report. It's something I've noticed for years. I've never understood why schools who are being hurt by this practice don't report the wrongdoers. Still, against Auburn, I'd like our odds. The only problem is, I think the U has always been a favorite target of whomever likes to hate us: the media, the other schools, all the holier-than-thou people who support schools like Penn State and Notre Dame. I'd love to know what skeletons are in Notre Dame's closet. There must be some.

For the guys talking about recruits getting paid, how many guys is it on every roster? Football may be a billions of dollars industry, but I highly doubt the schools are funneling any of this money directly. It is all through boosters and they have a finite amount of money to spend per year (you have to be incredibly wealthy for $150k not to matter on top of what you are already spending giving directly to the school), so I can't imagine this happens for more than a few top guys at each school every class.

Additionally, you need access to the kid and his people. Easier for kids from tough backgrounds.

The point is, we may lose a few recruits to bagmen, but it is not every player or even close to the majority. Good recruiters do exist and they are just like good salesmen/businessmen. They build relationships and get kids excited about the school. As evidenced by Florida, you don't have to win (but it helps), you just need momentum to sell. If we have selling points we can still close really good classes in spite of not being able to pay.

A kid comes back from a school visit and flashes wads of cash? Why do you need access to the street agent or bagman? Or these guys even on the trip with the kid? It seems that there is probably some very discreet encounter, perhaps just one-on-one, during the trip. Of course, this might just be an installment, since it only looks like hundreds or a few thousand dollars in his hands. He probably has a commitment of future payments down the line.

In the future, they'll probably give the kids some instructions, like don't post online on twitter, snapchat, etc. Don't deposit on the bank, etc. The government used to get reports of all $10K or more transactions. Maybe they still do, maybe the amount has gone up.

It would be nice if the NSA could provide this info to the NCAA.

I was more referring to big payouts. I understand that slipping kids some walking around money is probably pervasive, but is that really enough to get someone to commit? Maybe so, depending on the kid's background. Just tossing someone tens of thousands of dollars requires a little finesse, though, and the complicity of an adult.

I imagine if Tim were getting a big break-off Cedric would get wind of it and shut things down. Unless you are a sure-fire pro, why risk the exposure you need to make millions on $100k? I realize it is different for families in tough situations, but this is not that type because a) Tim isn't that good, and b) his family is in a relatively good position. It's not the money that sent him to Auburn, that is just an added benefit.

That's probably it. It looks like all this stuff was brought up by a hurt Texas Longhorn fan. Personally, I wonder if Irvin is what we really want. Isn't he really short? I was reading some articles on defensing the spread, and came across an article on the LSU approach. They like tall CBs. There might be a reason we don't want shorter DBs, but I don't really know about this situation. I guess we didn't offer that kid who everybody thinks is great in coverage, is it Hoggins? He's only around 5'8" and our staff might be turned off by that, even if he's great in coverage.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, just not Patrick Peterson give the parents a job good.

the florida 5 baby

They forgot how to pay or something cause you know Florida is known to pay and stuff. My friend who has a friend that knows UF's athletic director says they pay.

Something about that McElwain guy just comes off bad to me....and then they hire Shannon as some "secret weapon"? I know its still early and a lot can happen before signing day.....but ....meh.

Advertisement
You all need to realize the money he is counting is the money the school is authorized to pay the kid for his travel. They are allowed to pay .60 a mile when driving.

Advertisement
The idea of a "great recruiter" has replaced the mindset of a great coach. That's why I always laugh at chumps bigging up Robinson and Tim Brewster. Tim Brewster! LOL at the idea that he can coach anything. Snot nosed Youngbloods like Pete and Tito would have been all about trooper Taylor and Phillip fulmer.

lol I'm so snot-nosed

Too funny. Still laughing at the fact that him (and many others) can't help but put a picture like this up on instagram or twitter or whatever it may be. They just cannot help themselves. And then **** hits the fan and they realize how dumb they are and delete it. Love it

First off his uncle is wealthy. Savond his other uncle isnt doing to bad. Also i make 20000 a year. Pretty much minimum wage anf i can prolly get a picture together just like that. Quit assuming. If it was impermissible benefits i dont think he would post it.

Advertisement
LOL @ "there's no such thing as a good recruiter".

Wow.

So all these slapdick guys from urban high schools are getting college gigs because they're actually the best COACHES available? LOL

Riiiiight.

I've sent enough players to college to know (for a fact) that certain recruiters are better than others. Hasn't been a ton of kids, but enough to see how the process goes.

There's several things that sway a kid. One of the big things is the relationship between him and his main recruiter.

Advertisement
Back