TIFWIW Joe Brady

Advertisement
quick question as I don't have the time to read CIS this am. IS this a done deal? thx in advance boys

My main question is why are there not other OC’s mentioned ? It makes you wonder when a lot of you are all in on one guy. Makes ya wonder if ya all’s have done enough homework ??????

I think it's okay to recognize that there are some concerns with Brady. I also think it's okay to recognize that his potential is through the roof.

It doesn't have to be so black and white. He's not total dog sh*t and he may not be a messiah (although I think he's a lot closer to being a prodigy than the other). Very high likelihood he's somewhere in the middle. Incredibly game planner with an insane route tree. But also still learning as a playcaller.

I wouldn't put him on par with Lebby just yet. Or Riley. Or Ryan Day. But I honestly would put him right on Lashlee's level right now. Lashlee's offense finished:

Total Offense = 23rd
Scoring Offense = 26th
Passing Offense = 10th
Rushing Offense = 98th

If Brady is the guy then I think we'll get a similar season with maybe a slight drop off in passing offense (I love TVD but he had an insane run...tough for any QB to keep that up for an entire season) and an improvement in the run offense. All in all total offense in top 40 and scoring offense in top 40.

The attractive thing to me would be that 2nd season. TVD in his 3rd year. An OL in year 2 under Mario and Mirabal. WRs and RBs that have hopefully continued to develop. I think that's where you'd see Brady at peak comfort level, confident, and contending for a 2nd Broyle's award. Oh and a playoff run.

I think it's okay to recognize that there are some concerns with Brady. I also think it's okay to recognize that his potential is through the roof.

It doesn't have to be so black and white. He's not total dog sh*t and he may not be a messiah (although I think he's a lot closer to being a prodigy than the other). Very high likelihood he's somewhere in the middle. Incredibly game planner with an insane route tree. But also still learning as a playcaller.

I wouldn't put him on par with Lebby just yet. Or Riley. Or Ryan Day. But I honestly would put him right on Lashlee's level right now. Lashlee's offense finished:

Total Offense = 23rd
Scoring Offense = 26th
Passing Offense = 10th
Rushing Offense = 98th

If Brady is the guy then I think we'll get a similar season with maybe a slight drop off in passing offense (I love TVD but he had an insane run...tough for any QB to keep that up for an entire season) and an improvement in the run offense. All in all total offense in top 40 and scoring offense in top 40.

The attractive thing to me would be that 2nd season. TVD in his 3rd year. An OL in year 2 under Mario and Mirabal. WRs and RBs that have hopefully continued to develop. I think that's where you'd see Brady at peak comfort level, confident, and contending for a 2nd Broyle's award. Oh and a playoff run.

Solid post. The only concerning part to me is you have guys like El seriously bagging on James Coley coming anywhere near the football program again. That makes me nervous. I'd hate to have someone ***** up what TVD has started.

Advertisement
Solid post. The only concerning part to me is you have guys like El seriously bagging on James Coley coming anywhere near the football program again. That makes me nervous. I'd hate to have someone ***** up what TVD has started.
Yeah I get the concerns with Coley. He's 100% a better recruiter than he is a coach. So his effectiveness in the role would probably hinge on Brady's success.

If Brady is as successful as some of us think he can be then QB coach doesn't matter. Let's not forget that Ensminger was the OC/QB coach at LSU. He's a horrible horrible QB coach. But with Brady they had an insane run. I know Brady was credited as WRs coach but I wouldn't be shocked if he also played a role in QB development.

So is Coley a better QB coach than Ensminger? I would say yes. And he'll also bring elite recruiting abilities.

I wouldn't be head over heels on the hire. But I also would be open to giving it a chance. I'd rather Coley over Ponce and it's not even close.

Joe Burrow wasn’t average, it’s just OSU picked the wrong quarterback to start the year he transferred. You do know his dad was DC at Ohio University under Frank Solich. Plus in 2014, he was Gatorade player of the year in Ohio. He’s always been around football.

Advertisement
Joe Burrow wasn’t average, it’s just OSU picked the wrong quarterback to start the year he transferred. You do know his dad was DC at Ohio University under Frank Solich. Plus in 2014, he was Gatorade player of the year in Ohio. He’s always been around football.
Ohio State picked the right QB that year. Haskins was flat out better. He threw for 4,800 yards and 50 touchdowns, shattering records there. Burrow would not even come close to 2019 Burrow if he stayed at Ohio State. Remember, Burrow was very average in 2018 @ LSU. That leap from 2018 to 2019 was unreal!

The guy won the award for the best assistant coach in the nation. He is credited by the media, coaches and players for being the catalyst of the greatest passing attack of all time while transitioning them from an old fashioned offense into a no -huddle up tempo spread 'em out Juggernaut.

He has NFL experience AND is rumored to be a head coach sooner rather than later.

That is the kind of high risk I like.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd
Need the experience and tech acumen of a Cooley bro. Only a guy who regularly posts abysmal 3rd down conversions in bland offenses is safe bro.

Advertisement
This^^^^ Fantastic post!

How many times must the facts be laid out before all of his detractors believe.

LSU’s offense was garbage for many years before he arrived. They were always known for their great defense and pedestrian offense, and not for lack of talented players.

LSU squandered class after class of 4 and 5-Star, athletic freaks on offense. They had studs like Fournette, Beckham, Landry, Jefferson, Guise (to name just a few), and OL’s littered with high 4/5-Star players, and still struggled to score consistently.

Then Brady shows up for 1 season and voila, they break NCAA records. Joe Burrow was a pedestrian QB the previous season when we played them. He was average at best, and the receiving core did not put up impressive numbers, even though they had all of the same talented receivers and RB’s.

What changed? Brady was brought in to right the ship and bring it into the modern era of CFB.

The same OC (Emsninger) that had been at LSU for the previous 10 years, including the previous 2 seasons as the OC, when they were a pedestrian and boring offense cannot and should not get the credit. His offense went back to sucking *** when Brady left for the NFL.

Now, I ask you all to use reason and common sense. What/who is the common denominator in all of this? The answer is simple…Joe Brady. He unlocked the cheat code on Joe Burrow when he coached him, and drew up an offense built around his strengths.

He did the same in Carolina for Macaffrey, but the kid has been injured, and missed 23 out of a possible 33 games in the last 2 seasons. Also, the OL and QB’s at Carolina are straight up ***. How many “elite” OC’s do any of you think could score a ton of points with a way over his prime Cam Newton, a backup journeyman, and a second rate OL with no MaCaffrey?

This isn’t rocket science. As former Hurricanes and Dolphins OC Gary Stevens once said, “You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****.”

The chances that Burrow and the rest of the LSU offense all became super players all of a sudden on their own are slim and none, with none leading by a wide margin.

Brady will design an offense to utilize and maximize TVD’s talent and potential, as well as that of the weapons around him.

Bring me this savage!
Strong post. But don’t underestimate the synergy between Brady and Burrow. I’d say Burrow’s talent & ability to execute the offense was also key. Not a Brady detector by any stretch, but great coaches put players in position to succeed and maximize talent.

It’s also not true that LSU’s offense was a train wreck until Brady came to save the day.

The S&P+ projected LSU to have the 15th best offense in the country in 2019.

Now LSU ended up surpassing that projection by a lot. But coming into an offense that already projected to be Top 15, isn’t the dumpster fire people are making it out to be.

Advertisement
Dude, this is a horrible take.

Cam was horrible with Pats last season. Straight up garbage.

…and before that, he was straight up horrendous in his last couple of seasons at Carolina.

Facts are facts.
dude has been destroyed and can't throw a football anymore. I'm a Bucs fan so I never rooted for him, but the NFL never protected him like they protect a few other quarterbacks.

This is what I’m talking about. Don’t come on a message board and say ridiculously stupid things without doing your due diligence. Dude just looked at 2018 and assumed Brady was there smh.
I get the concerns. I really do. But you need to at least start with accurate facts if you're going to make one. You some guy yelling about how he had minimal playcalling experience but is worshipping at the alter of Schumann (who I really like a lot) who has zero playcalling experience under Smart, Muschamp, and Lanning.

But other than Lebby, who went home to Oklahoma, I have not heard another name with experience at the highest levels than Mullen. Maybe he ties to UF are clouding my opinion, but I have no interest in watching TVD run like Trask. Even if we got Lebby, there would be a risk of failure. Brady is a high ceiling, moderate floor guy, but he is also walking into TVD and a really good group of young skill position players. It's also totally possible that he is just better suited to college than the NFL or bit off more than he could chew at that point in his career. So many variables at play with every hire.

Advertisement
Back