Ticket prices vs A&M

Google it player… it’s not what law it’s the law of demand. Basic Econ.

Now Miami is desperate and giving away tickets for the GT game if you buy an A&M ticket.

Don't bother. Certain individuals will defend every decision the school makes, no matter if they're good or bad, and they'll attack you just for stating the obvious.

I have an economics degree from Yale, but you don't need that to understand that if you lower ticket prices, you'll sell more of them.

If he has any point at all (and I may be giving too much credit), its that you may be able to maximize revenue with higher prices, even if you don't sell out. Again, you don't need to be especially smart to figure that out... selling on thing to one person for a million dollars is more than selling 10 of them to 10 people for $100 each.

But for those of us not on Miami's payroll, who gives a **** about the revenue math? I want to see a packed house and a loud atmosphere, which will help us recruit and maybe help us win the game by increasing our home field advantage. I could care less if the pricing guy at the ticket office makes his annual bonus for hitting a revenue target. I'm in it to watch the football, and a packed house is a better product.

So from that perspective, yes. Lower the **** price.

Advertisement
Don't bother. Certain individuals will defend every decision the school makes, no matter if they're good or bad, and they'll attack you just for stating the obvious.

I have an economics degree from Yale, but you don't need that to understand that if you lower ticket prices, you'll sell more of them.

If he has any point at all (and I may be giving too much credit), its that you may be able to maximize revenue with higher prices, even if you don't sell out. Again, you don't need to be especially smart to figure that out... selling on thing to one person for a million dollars is more than selling 10 of them to 10 people for $100 each.

But for those of us not on Miami's payroll, who gives a **** about the revenue math? I want to see a packed house and a loud atmosphere, which will help us recruit and maybe help us win the game by increasing our home field advantage. I could care less if the pricing guy at the ticket office makes his annual bonus for hitting a revenue target. I'm in it to watch the football, and a packed house is a better product.

I also think part of the problem stems from a flooded secondary market and the school's switch from StubHub to SeatGeek as the secondary marketplace. Many people who buy season tickets only go to a game or two each year. If this game is not it, they resell their tickets. When demand sucks, the prices from the school look bad/inflated because the resale market is cheaper. I don't think people know to look on StubHub as I had my tix for Ohio listed there for weeks and saw no movement. This is the same thing that others saw as well. I listed great seats for much less than I paid for them and wound up having to dump them on StubHub the day before the game. The school could/should react to that by lowering the available seats in the primary market, but then they risk ****ing off the season ticket holders who paid more money and may not have better seats. It's a tough thing when your fan base is fickle and cheap.

I would definitely suggest checking the secondary markets for tickets. The absolute cheapest upper home sideline seats on the UM site are $125. I found dozens for under 100 on the secondary sites. The cheapest seats in my old section west endzone were over $200 from UM. $100 on seat geak.

I would definitely suggest checking the secondary markets for tickets. The absolute cheapest upper home sideline seats on the UM site are $125. I found dozens for under 100 on the secondary sites. The cheapest seats in my old section west endzone were over $200 from UM. $100 on seat geak.
My point exactly. The market for this game appears to be marginally better than the Ohio game and the secondary market reflects that; however, there are great seats on the secondary for less than face value. What this means though is that assuming we have 30K or so season ticket holders like last year we will have a crap load of teal or orange (or whatever color the seats are now) fans in attendance if people don't snatch those up as well as some of the primary tix.

Do we think we get between 58-61K in the seats?

This was UVA game in 2017 when we had around that much
1694016326254.png

Advertisement
Even when we play FSU when they're good and we're horrible the stadium isn't 25% full of FSU fans so I don't buy that for a second.
I went to the game last year and recall after halftime all you saw was burgundy all around the stadium. And all you heard was that annoying as **** war chant

I can get on board with this

I understand the economics angle, and I think the frustrating thing about this is there is most certainly a middle ground compromise on what’s good for the business and fans at the same time when you have such a huge range or price options

These types of environments and games are reliant on the people paying for cheaper tickets

I also think part of the problem stems from a flooded secondary market and the school's switch from StubHub to SeatGeek as the secondary marketplace. Many people who buy season tickets only go to a game or two each year. If this game is not it, they resell their tickets. When demand sucks, the prices from the school look bad/inflated because the resale market is cheaper. I don't think people know to look on StubHub as I had my tix for Ohio listed there for weeks and saw no movement. This is the same thing that others saw as well. I listed great seats for much less than I paid for them and wound up having to dump them on StubHub the day before the game. The school could/should react to that by lowering the available seats in the primary market, but then they risk ****ing off the season ticket holders who paid more money and may not have better seats. It's a tough thing when your fan base is fickle and cheap.

I mean, for me, as a fan and not an employee of the athletic department, I just want to see a packed, loud, house. So my selfish math is easy... lower prices and get butts in the seats... to **** with everything else.

Now the economist in me, I'm happy to nerd out and look at it from the perspective of the school trying to maximize revenue. Part of that I can't really comment on because I'm not in the building and don't have the data they're using to crunch numbers, so I have to just assume that they're using a good model, and have put some thought behind what they're doing. But you're correct, that if the only thing you care about is following the math then yes, they should match the prices of the secondary market since, as you're selling the exact same product (tickets to the same game), the rational consumer is always going to choose the lower priced option. It's essentially a race to the bottom and the tickets are a commodity.

And I think that's the part that the school, and many other schools/pro teams/ concert people/etc struggle with... when people are basically legally scalping your product, that's got to be a tough pill to swallow. Say it's the reverse to what we have today (which I would think is more common), that StubHub prices are higher than what the school is selling for. That means the school is essentially leaving money on the table, and any good manager would look at that and say how can we cut the scalper out and stop them from competing with us selling our own product.

So I think part of it may be strategic, they're trying to fight the secondary market from bidding down the ticket price, and in general they're trying to price the tickets up to match what normally is a higher than retail secondary market.

As to the Miami fanbase... fickle, yes. Cheap? No, I don't think I necessarily agree with that. It's definitely more hot-and-cold than a maket like, say, Texas A&M's where I'm sure they have a more dependable, stable, group of people willing to buy season tickets every year no matter what.

And speaking of season tickets, your point about ****ing off the season ticket holders is another interesting ones and I could argue that either way. On the one hand, yes, what you're saying. On the other hand, whose fault it it that they bought when the market was high? If they're really going to be ****ed off because we're dropping the price for a particular game, then let them be ****ed off. If we win, then they'll make their investment back when the Clemson came comes around.

Advertisement
Affordable big game tickets > packed house > better recruiting > better team > more big games

Rinse and repeat.

They really dropped the ball here. If we pull less than 50K on Saturday we’re going to look so bad.

If there were 50-55k at the Miami Ohio game you can bet there will be 70-75k at this game. 55k for Miami of Ohio is impressive.

Where are you getting 50-55? Announced attendance for Miami, OH was 49,024. Actual attendance was probably around 40K.

Advertisement
Dude you have two 5-7 teams playing each other and club level tickets are being sold by the University for $675 a piece. I didn't pay that for Braves playoffs games last year and that place was absolutely bananas. No one is complaining about the reseller price. They are complaining about what the University is asking for them, which is almost always less than the resellers. The reseller ticket price is is set by the market. If you selling them for 2xs the market you've done something wrong and your impacting sales.
The $675 tickets must be home side 35 yd line type seats b/c you can get club level tickets for the whole season for $675 in other locations.

Let's compare the ticket prices for the Canes with the USC/Stanford game.

Upper deck(50 yard line) on the home side the tickets are 195.00 plus tax, while USC has upper deck (50 yard line) for 95.00 plus tax.

I would think that if the Canes had a similar price point that fans would be more inclined to spend their money on these games. No one at this moment cares about the G-tech game. So this buy one get one deal is a bunch of crap.

The $675 tickets must be home side 35 yd line type seats b/c you can get club level tickets for the whole season for $675 in other locations.

Club level for the game is $350 after fees on the UM site. $250 on the secondary market.

Advertisement
Largest crowds since HRS was reconfigured to 65,000

FSU 2022: 66,200
FSU 2016: 65,685
FSU 2018: 64,490
Notre Dame 2017: 65,303
Va Tech 2017: 63,932
UVA 2017: 63,415
Duke 2018: 62,754
UNC 2018: 60,845
FAMU 2016: 60,703

Yes, I know some of these (like Duke in 2018) were not even close to actual attendance.

I paid THOUSANDS of dollars total to fly a family of five (dog included) from Maryland to Miami for the FSU game last year.

When we got back to our hotel room after the game, my dog was initially wagging his tail as usual, then he looked at our faces and his tail dropped.

In that moment, my dog knew that we may not be back for a while. Lol

I suspect others had a similar story. That was brutal and there were grim faces everywhere while FSU fans danced to the rhythm of the night by Debarge

Advertisement
Back