Thoughts

After watching last night, I decided that I needed to voice my thoughts on this. I'm accustomed to the mauling I will get so neg if you want.

Simple Facts Here:

(Rivals Rankings)

I agree with you to a point. We won't compete for national titles until we are in the top 10 in recruiting classes year in and year out, which we always should be with our location. However it doesn't explain the full story as I imagine our recruiting classes avg quite a bit higher than Duke/VT/Louisville.

Part recruiting/part coaching. But of course those same coaches responsible for the coaching/planning are responsible for the evaluating/recruiting and development. I could see giving our current staff a LITTLE bit of a break on the recruiting side given the long investigation.

Advertisement
I think the biggest thing that we are missing in these rankings is POSITIONS! FSU has dominated DL recruiting. They roll out a laundry list of 4/5* DL. That is where we are lacking. That and QB play, which in my opinion is on Coley. Fisch got the best out of his qbs in his time here. I felt like there was a LOT of room for improvement in SMs game and I think by changing to this bs, hurry up to the line so the OC can call the audible is stupid and does not work because as soon as the whole offense stands up to look for the call, the D checks out of original call.

QB= NC

Get a top qb with a good defense and you win the whole thing.... That simple

We don't have a top 10 class this year we just have a lot of recruits. Scout has us at 16 on avg star ranking so we have a 16th rated class. You don't win championships by being second in the country in number of 3 star commits. You need game changers and those typically come in the 4 or 5 star fashion.

and ESPN, which is more reliable then Scout, has us with the #6 over all class with 15 4star recruits...

If you don't see that theres more talent in this haul then in almost the previous 4years combined...then, you're not looking

All you have to do is look at the "bottom" of our class to see just how good it is.

We have always had some elite talent in our classes but there was always a few names, at least, that you just can't understand. Not really the case this year.

Guys like Juwon Young, Jenkins, Owens, Gray, Mayes, Brady, Linder.....I mean those are not class fillers. Those are kids that can ******* play. It's the deepest class I can remember.

I don't see all the talent that you do.
juwon young looks a lot like Jawand Blue who is buried on the depth chart
jenkins- similar film to king
owens- shows some athleticism that we currently lack but has only played LB 1 year and needs some weight.
gray- def shows some talent but doesn't have a position and will he get in
Mayes- looks like a career backup so far
Brady- some talent but a major project
Linder- looks like a future starter by his 3rd year

i dont see how the bottom of this class is particularly better than the bottom of previous classes

Not envious whatsoever, but when I have people tweeting at me saying "This is all Goldens/D'Onofrio's/Coley's fault" it's a little aggravating when the reality of it is that it starts by being good recruiters and not letting schools like FSU, UF and Alabama take top players from your "Backyard"

Tito, I get your point, but I am confused. Are you saying it is not that they are crappy coaches but rather that they suck at recruiting? Cause it is the same dudes doing both. I admit I can't tell if they getting the craped kicked out of them on the recruiting trail or on the practice field. Then one thing we all can see is that they certainly are having their rears handed to them on the PLAYING FIELD!

Answer me this. If Ed Reed was a freshman recruit in Al's first recruiting class, would he be on the field? He was and is a free lancing gambler who ocasionally got burned but usually won the game for us and is a NFL HOF type and maybe greatest ever safety. I don't think we would have ever heard on Ed. Remeber, Tracy is, I think, the highest rated recruit Al has had, and I remember him being accused of free lancing his first year and losing his black shirt.

You need the *s and the coaches need to know how to use them. But your point is well taken. Nobody needs to coach up Duke or Stacy. The question is are guys like Tracy and others being coached DOWN?

I think the coaching is questionable to a certain extent. I think anyone here can admit that Tracy Howard was significantly better than he was last year regardless of the fact that he was a freshman. Most of those guys have progressed to some degree like Duke, Howard, McCord and others. But with guys like Highsmith, Rodgers, Robinson, Pierre, Henderson, and others I've seen little to no improvement. And all those guys are players who have been here for 3 years under Golden. I just feel that recruiting is more important than people take it for, sure you have those teams that don't have to recruit very well to be successful, but with where Miami is located; it should be a must.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. are you saying that the freshman improved due to coaching but the upper classman didn't b/c they don't have enough talent? who wants coaches who can only develop elite talent? i'd say is far more indicative of what the coaches do with players they have been coaching for 3 years rather than freshman who usually see their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd year regardless of coaching.

He is saying the seniors are already maxed out to the best of their abilities, come on, what team wins with pure freshman and sophomores being their best players. FSU qb is truly a sophomore and their top WRs are both truly Juniors bc KB is a redshirt soph. Some people are missing the point, Miami has recruited a bunch of 3 star depth guys and missed on the 4 star and 5 star studs. Yes we know the ed reeds and the ray lewis were not highly recruited guys, but also back then recruiting wasn't so publicized and marketed as a business as it is today. Today these sites have made players much more marketable within the college system, meaning that many 4 stars truly are 4 stars, and you guys are forgetting that Golden got 9 wins with his juniors, chick was his first makeshift class. Guys DP is our best player on the D and he was a 3 star, and if EJ wouldn't have been booted he might be the best player on the D. How many recruits can you name that have redshirted and still not contributed on anything other than special teams. I know I can think of a bunch of names, O'Donnell, Holliet, Witt, Blue, and many more. Guys Golden's first real class are sophomores, the best players on FSU are Jrs and Srs, given that Winston is great, he isn't their best player. All 3 of the stud rbs are juniors, 1 being a 4 star, the other 2 are 5 stars, even though Karlos Williams is a converted safety he was still a 5 star. Can anyone here honestly name one senior on the Defense that is good, because the best seems to be Shayon Green which had his best year and we stole him from pitt. Or was it Jimmy Gaines that we beat our Buffalo for him? Seriously some people just don't want to realize we just are not very good right now. When your best players on offense, Duke and Coley, are sophomores and freshman, you have a year or 2 to go.

1. those guys weren't seniors when Golden got here, they have been under Golden for 3 years. its the job of the coaching staff to develop and max out a players ability and to scheme around to cover shortcomings. see MSU defense and Auburn offense

2. you talk about the team not having enough talent, that too is the responsibility of the coaching staff. to find and recruit the talent needed to win.

nobody is saying miami is a championship caliber team this year but we should have been good enough to win the coastal and at least be competitive with louisville. and don't talk about the 9 wins. if we had kansas st and notre dame back on the schedule then we win the same 7 games as last year and our defensive numbers (which are horrible enough) are probably worse than last year.

Advertisement
Four year average:

Miami - 20

Duke - 68
VT - 27
Louisville - 42

First what I'm about to say is all ALs fault. Finishing with a decent ranked class is meaningless when over half that class leaves the program or doesn't qualify. I can't take our ranking seriously when we can't keep guys in the program. Its become a joke.

Last edited:
Tito,

Though i understand your thought process behind this, people are frustrated with the coaching staff, not because we haven't won a national title, but because of the schools we're losing to & the way in which we're losing. Look at schools that played in BCS games like Michigan St, Stanford, UCF & Baylor which never have top 10 recruiting classes. Same goes to schools like Duke & Louisville which both beat us convincingly. If you cant recruit 4* 5* guys in your own backyard, then you must excel at player development. Miami hasn't been doing a good job in either. Also, we haven't had an "elite" qb in about a decade, which in today's football landscape, hides a lot of deficiencies in a football team..which is to me why I believe that our most important recruit in this class is Brad Kaaya. If he can be what many of us on here think he is capable of being. Then we'll be competing for conference & national titles & his presence will help us land the skilled players that have been consistently leaving south florida.

Ok thats very true and I understand your point, but Miami is located in the BEST area for talent, plain and simple. There is no reason they shouldn't be pulling in top recruiting classes every year with the quality of athletes down in South Florida. Coaching is critical and there is no other way around it, but I've said this before: When AJ Highsmith and Kacy Rodgers are still playing prominent roles in your defense, you have a lack of depth.

Except for a little thing called the NCAA and possible death penalty

Even with it gone Al will continue to lose top recruits- hope I'm wrong

Advertisement
Tito,

Though i understand your thought process behind this, people are frustrated with the coaching staff, not because we haven't won a national title, but because of the schools we're losing to & the way in which we're losing. Look at schools that played in BCS games like Michigan St, Stanford, UCF & Baylor which never have top 10 recruiting classes. Same goes to schools like Duke & Louisville which both beat us convincingly. If you cant recruit 4* 5* guys in your own backyard, then you must excel at player development. Miami hasn't been doing a good job in either. Also, we haven't had an "elite" qb in about a decade, which in today's football landscape, hides a lot of deficiencies in a football team..which is to me why I believe that our most important recruit in this class is Brad Kaaya. If he can be what many of us on here think he is capable of being. Then we'll be competing for conference & national titles & his presence will help us land the skilled players that have been consistently leaving south florida.

Ok thats very true and I understand your point, but Miami is located in the BEST area for talent, plain and simple. There is no reason they shouldn't be pulling in top recruiting classes every year with the quality of athletes down in South Florida. Coaching is critical and there is no other way around it, but I've said this before: When AJ Highsmith and Kacy Rodgers are still playing prominent roles in your defense, you have a lack of depth.

Plus another little fact, that UM has higher academic, including entrance, standards. Oh, and another one--FSU and Auburn have a long history of cheating, but Miami does far less yet is the only one who gets in trouble.

Al's classes are too top heavy he takes too many 3* fliers

Look at FSU's talent, Jerrnigan I know he crapped out in the 4th quarter but Good God Timmy Jerrnigan was a freakin' monster out there he was dominating Reese Dissmukes all night....I wish we had lineman like that at Miami

If you bring in 30 in a year you can take a few more chances on 3 star players, as long as your are bringing in impact players at the top which we are this year Then those who do not work out will end up being pushed out, and thus the numbers coming in the following years will stay a little higher. Alabama does this all the time. I don't believe you want to get as low in numbers as last year (That is why the class was not rated as high) I think the numbers the last 2 years were managed to able to put the hit on scholly reductions more toward the past rather than future. We will now be able now to have normal sized classes despite the reductions.One thing that that has been done brilliantly is the management of the scholarship numbers, which leads me to believe we have known all along what the penalties probably were going to be.

Advertisement
Tito,

Even with it gone Al will continue to lose top recruits- hope I'm wrong

CT, TV (who I still think we get back) Yearby, Powell, 4 all star offensive lineman, Moten, Jackson, Bethel, Hester, Berrios, Kaaya just to name a few is not losing top recruits but FSU will gain recruits here its just a fact like Auburn and Bama will continue to steal recruits from each other its just a fact

Advertisement
Also, take into account, since Golden has been here around 30 guys he has recruited either never made it to campus or transferred out after a year. That's equivalent to not recruiting for a single year.

We need beasts on the d line like valentine and more athleticism and savagery on the back seven with a guy like JC Jackson

this board has a major case of FSU envy right now.

we should. They're the champs and we're mediocre. They'll be good for a while. We should envy them

When you have 9 wins and its mediocre imagine if we get decent on defense and have a qb who doesnt **** it up for us. We'll be fine its not THAT FAR

so, who are we getting to coach us?

hope the defensive scheme changes up a bit and Coley will get better through time and a qb that manages the game. seriously if the defense gets average by the coaching getting better you tell me it doesnt giVE Um 1 more win next season?

this board has a major case of FSU envy right now.

we should. They're the champs and we're mediocre. They'll be good for a while. We should envy them

When you have 9 wins and its mediocre imagine if we get decent on defense and have a qb who doesnt **** it up for us. We'll be fine its not THAT FAR

so, who are we getting to coach us?

hope the defensive scheme changes up a bit and Coley will get better through time and a qb that manages the game. seriously if the defense gets average by the coaching getting better you tell me it doesnt giVE Um 1 more win next season?

probably. But I'm not sure how anyone can have any faith that Dorito will fix what's broken. I'm firmly in the scheme is the problem, not the players camp.

Besides, 10 wins doesn't win the conference or get you into a BCS bowl game. We should have higher standards than that

Advertisement
Back