Thoughts

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
After watching last night, I decided that I needed to voice my thoughts on this. I'm accustomed to the mauling I will get so neg if you want.

Simple Facts Here:

(Rivals Rankings)
Florida State 2010 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-2 5 Stars
-8 4 Stars
-14 3 Stars

Auburn 2010 Recruiting Class Rank: #4
-3 5 Stars
-13 4 Stars
-13 3 Stars

Florida State 2011 Recruiting Class Rank: #2
-2 5 Stars
-13 4 Stars
-13 3 Stars

Auburns 2011 Recruiting Class Rank: #7
-1 5 star
-13 4 Stars
-10 3 Stars

Florida States 2012 Recruiting Class Rank: #6
-3 5 Stars
-10 4 Stars
-2 3 stars

Auburns 2012 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-13 4 Stars
-8 3 Stars

Florida State’s 2013 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-2 5 Stars
-9 4 Stars
-9 3 Stars

Auburn 2013 Recruiting Class Rank: #8
-2 5 stars
-9 4 Stars
-12 3 Stars

Before I get mauled, for the simple fact that “It’s not the recruit’s, it’s that our coaching sucks.” Just understand that it took Jimbo Fisher 3 years to win an ACC title and 4 to win a championship. Championships don’t come with recruiting classes that are ranked in the -teen’s, it has to be top ten consistently. Coaching is extremely key, no doubt about it and it's definitely a concern, but trust me when I say if you recruit well enough you will see more wins.

Miami’s Recruiting Ranks
2010: #16
2011: #36
2012:#9
2013 #20

Advertisement
I didn't realize that 2013 was that bad. I know folks don't want to hear this but without the ncca, the 2014 class is really Al first year of getting us to where we want to be. Those other classes are 9-4 classes, although not necessarily give up 500 yards per game classes.

Tito,

Though i understand your thought process behind this, people are frustrated with the coaching staff, not because we haven't won a national title, but because of the schools we're losing to & the way in which we're losing. Look at schools that played in BCS games like Michigan St, Stanford, UCF & Baylor which never have top 10 recruiting classes. Same goes to schools like Duke & Louisville which both beat us convincingly. If you cant recruit 4* 5* guys in your own backyard, then you must excel at player development. Miami hasn't been doing a good job in either. Also, we haven't had an "elite" qb in about a decade, which in today's football landscape, hides a lot of deficiencies in a football team..which is to me why I believe that our most important recruit in this class is Brad Kaaya. If he can be what many of us on here think he is capable of being. Then we'll be competing for conference & national titles & his presence will help us land the skilled players that have been consistently leaving south florida.

Advertisement
this board has a major case of FSU envy right now.

Not envious whatsoever, but when I have people tweeting at me saying "This is all Goldens/D'Onofrio's/Coley's fault" it's a little aggravating when the reality of it is that it starts by being good recruiters and not letting schools like FSU, UF and Alabama take top players from your "Backyard"

It's called depression. Look at every thread...

Before it was relegated to the football board, but now after 1 decommit, every recruiting thread turns into a bashing of player development and sheme..

Not envious whatsoever, but when I have people tweeting at me saying "This is all Goldens/D'Onofrio's/Coley's fault" it's a little aggravating when the reality of it is that it starts by being good recruiters and not letting schools like FSU, UF and Alabama take top players from your "Backyard"

i wasn't saying you..your post was actually rational and i appreciated it. we need better talent for our staff to work with.

Advertisement
I agree, when you have a transfer from Virginia (who wasn't even a starter there) come to Miami and start over our current crop of DL... I don't care how good of a coach you are you can't compensate for things like that. Our DL sucks, plain and simple. No pass rush =LB's, S, and CB look like ish. Yes, Golden needed to bring more DL in. But when you have stupid ACC JUCO rules, coaches telling kid (KIDS, don't forget) that Miami is getting the death penalty for 2 years, it's not easy.

I mean we need to put things in to perspective. It's hard when you're getting your *** kicked I know. Used car salesman or not our expectations were too high for this year. We don't have the players and we haven't been able to load up due to the NCAA stuff. We are this year, have some great DL coming in. But they need time to develop as well. Sometimes I think people don't understand how much in the crapper our program was. It takes time to rebuild and when you have outside forces (NCAA) it's going to take longer. After the dominating of 1983-2002 I know it's hard to take but look past the 500 yards per game and you will see major issues holding us back.

Tito,

Though i understand your thought process behind this, people are frustrated with the coaching staff, not because we haven't won a national title, but because of the schools we're losing to & the way in which we're losing. Look at schools that played in BCS games like Michigan St, Stanford, UCF & Baylor which never have top 10 recruiting classes. Same goes to schools like Duke & Louisville which both beat us convincingly. If you cant recruit 4* 5* guys in your own backyard, then you must excel at player development. Miami hasn't been doing a good job in either. Also, we haven't had an "elite" qb in about a decade, which in today's football landscape, hides a lot of deficiencies in a football team..which is to me why I believe that our most important recruit in this class is Brad Kaaya. If he can be what many of us on here think he is capable of being. Then we'll be competing for conference & national titles & his presence will help us land the skilled players that have been consistently leaving south florida.

Ok thats very true and I understand your point, but Miami is located in the BEST area for talent, plain and simple. There is no reason they shouldn't be pulling in top recruiting classes every year with the quality of athletes down in South Florida. Coaching is critical and there is no other way around it, but I've said this before: When AJ Highsmith and Kacy Rodgers are still playing prominent roles in your defense, you have a lack of depth.

After watching last night, I decided that I needed to voice my thoughts on this. I'm accustomed to the mauling I will get so neg if you want.

Simple Facts Here:

(Rivals Rankings)
Florida State 2010 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-2 5 Stars
-8 4 Stars
-14 3 Stars

Auburn 2010 Recruiting Class Rank: #4
-3 5 Stars
-13 4 Stars
-13 3 Stars

Florida State 2011 Recruiting Class Rank: #2
-2 5 Stars
-13 4 Stars
-13 3 Stars

Auburns 2011 Recruiting Class Rank: #7
-1 5 star
-13 4 Stars
-10 3 Stars

Florida States 2012 Recruiting Class Rank: #6
-3 5 Stars
-10 4 Stars
-2 3 stars

Auburns 2012 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-13 4 Stars
-8 3 Stars

Florida State’s 2013 Recruiting Class Rank: #10
-2 5 Stars
-9 4 Stars
-9 3 Stars

Auburn 2013 Recruiting Class Rank: #8
-2 5 stars
-9 4 Stars
-12 3 Stars

Before I get mauled, for the simple fact that “It’s not the recruit’s, it’s that our coaching sucks.” Just understand that it took Jimbo Fisher 3 years to win an ACC title and 4 to win a championship. Championships don’t come with recruiting classes that are ranked in the -teen’s, it has to be top ten consistently. Coaching is extremely key, no doubt about it and it's definitely a concern, but trust me when I say if you recruit well enough you will see more wins.

Miami’s Recruiting Ranks
2010: #16
2011: #36
2012:#9
2013 #20

Nope I think we should continue to bash valentine

Tito,

Ok thats very true and I understand your point, but Miami is located in the BEST area for talent, plain and simple. There is no reason they shouldn't be pulling in top recruiting classes every year with the quality of athletes down in South Florida. Coaching is critical and there is no other way around it, but I've said this before: When AJ Highsmith and Kacy Rodgers are still playing prominent roles in your defense, you have a lack of depth.

Except for a little thing called the NCAA and possible death penalty

Advertisement
Tito,

yea i think we all know how talent-rich south Florida is. then in your honest opinion why do you think we're consistently missing out on so many blue chip recruits out of south Florida..you think it was "the cloud", the losing, the staff, or some combination of all those? (& yes I know we have some coming in this year but I'm curious as to why so many are leaving)

Advertisement
Not rocket science here, Nick Saban or any other coaching guru (not putting Jimbo Fisher in that group) isn't winning without a boat load of talent. Just look at the NFL-ready players on the top teams - Alabama, FSU, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State. Look at the players now declaring for the draft. We don't have that talent level and probably haven't in 5-6 years. We have one player who can realistically even consider coming out early, and he's probably a 3rd round pick at best.
To compete at that level you need a pipeline of quality talent. That said, no excuse for the Va Tech fiasco or being embarrassed by Louisville.

fsu's defense looked pretty pedestrian at times last night. tre mason really went off on them. it seemed like auburn had a good plan and was able to exploit the weak spots. i don't think the gap is as wide as people think. we are a couple of d lineman (a few coming in this cycle), linebackers (a few coming in this cycle) and a safety (two coming in this cycle) on the defensive side away. on the offensive side we need more depth at all skill positions including QB (all coming in this cycle).

Last edited:
Can you do the same analysis for the following teams?

Mich State
Stanford
Oregon
Oklahoma
aTm
Duke
etc

Do we need to start regularly landing top 10 classes to beat the big boys? Probably. Do we need top 15 classes to not get throttled by the Dukes and Louisvilles of the world?

Advertisement
Back