Thoughts upon rewatching the game

I was at the game and haven't had a chance to watch a replay on TV but [MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION] echoed a lot of my concerns as to what I saw out of the defense.

Why the **** are we constantly trotting 3 linebackers out against spread formations with 3 or 4 wide receivers?

Why the **** are we subbing at LB so much? I swear Charles Perry was in on at least 35 snaps. That dude should only see the field if we're up 30+

Why the **** are we playing so much cover zero and/or cover one if we don't have the confidence in our corners to play bump and run? Seems like if you have guys struggling in the defensive backfield, we should try to limit the amount of times they're given no help over the top.

Why the **** does Mark Richt insist on starting every game calling plays like we're Wisconsin? It takes 13 back to back 3 and outs before he realizes we can throw the ball forward occasionally? And once he actually opens the offense a bit, they start lighting up the scoreboard. We can't be the only people noticing this.

some of the complaints people on this board have are insane. mark walton had 100 yards rushing after 4 carries on our first two drives.

Advertisement
It's risky, sure. I agree with Diaz decision too play the inexperienced and less " talented" players against Toledo. We cant claim that Toledo is inferior then get upset that coach plays all of the kids against them.

At the very least it builds depth. Trial by fire. Get the kids on tape against live bullets and give them something to work on and develop. Good coaches take those risks so they can develop their talent. Good depth cant be developed without giving kids in-game experience. Its a coaches job to develop players. Let them do it.

I was at the game and haven't had a chance to watch a replay on TV but [MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION] echoed a lot of my concerns as to what I saw out of the defense.

Why the **** are we constantly trotting 3 linebackers out against spread formations with 3 or 4 wide receivers?

Why the **** are we subbing at LB so much? I swear Charles Perry was in on at least 35 snaps. That dude should only see the field if we're up 30+

Why the **** are we playing so much cover zero and/or cover one if we don't have the confidence in our corners to play bump and run? Seems like if you have guys struggling in the defensive backfield, we should try to limit the amount of times they're given no help over the top.

Why the **** does Mark Richt insist on starting every game calling plays like we're Wisconsin? It takes 13 back to back 3 and outs before he realizes we can throw the ball forward occasionally? And once he actually opens the offense a bit, they start lighting up the scoreboard. We can't be the only people noticing this.

some of the complaints people on this board have are insane. mark walton had 100 yards rushing after 4 carries on our first two drives.

You clearly stopped watching the rest of the first half after the two long Walton runs. The second drive stalled inside the 10 and they kicked a field goal. Every possession after that they did nothing.

Seas, quick question( and I really appreciate your post), but do you think Delaney is simply too big/heavy? I get the sense he'd be better off 10 pounds lighter

Yes I agree. I always advocate for reducing body fat and weight, particularly in linemen. This was my 2nd biggest problem with the previous staff. Size and strength rewards are small compared to the reduced risk of injury and gains in mobility, flexibility, speed, etc. from being lighter. I don't know if Delaney is bigger than last year but I know from personal experience years ago when I bulked up 30+ pounds in about 6 months I had a lot of issues pop up: lost speed, agility, flexibility especially and had pain all over my legs (needed orthotics) until a few weeks into the season when I lost the bad weight and played the best ball of my life.

There are big NFL corners that are successful like Xavier Rhodes and Patrick Peterson but they play much more physical press coverage and their DCs give them shadow responsibilities to get the best matchups. Diaz hasn't adjusted the scheme to suit Delaney (or Jackson) and he looks like a fish out of water.

I hear all that and tend to reserve negative judgment when it comes to our guys, but he looks supremely uncomfortable and awkward in his movement and coverage. Colbert, never looked anywhere near as vulnerable, from the get. IMO, it's OBVIOUS, Malek is our best guy outside and in coverage. I don't get the size concerns, all I saw was a guy willing to come up and lay out to make a play for his team in the run game, never mind the fact that his cover skills are clearly superior to the bigger guys.

Colbert was experienced in Diaz's system and he's faster. I recall Colbert doing more press coverage and he played with confidence and patience - mirror at the line, turn and run and play the ball down the field. Delaney will never be as fast as Colbert and maybe that's why he/Diaz don't trust the press technique but I think he can do it. Regardless when a DB looks awkward and uncoordinated it's because their technique is sloppy, they don't know their assignment and their eyes are in the wrong place. I'm a Bucs fan so I see it all the time where corners get turned around and run all over the place and look slow. If you think our corners are bad go watch VH3 and Ryan Smith get lit up by Case Keenum, Diggs and Thielen.

I agree that Malek is the best corner because he's playing with urgency against run and pass and he has good ball skills. I like Bandy too as he already has the best technique of all the DBs. I don't understand Diaz's concerns with either defending the run. I still think Delaney is the most talented of the bunch but it's just not evident yet.

Diaz needs to give him one guy and say stop him. Not put him in combo coverages. That's what they did with the FR Lbs last season. I'm sure they're smart enough to figure out what's wrong unlike the previous staph

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I agree. Toledo was a bad matchup for Diaz because their passing game made him call an apprehensive game which is not his style. I think with future opponents we will see more blitzes, more line games and more man coverage. I couldn't believe how many times on 2nd and long or 3rd and long we spot dropped into a soft zone shell with no reroutes at the line. It was like deja vu of the previous staph. That stuff just doesn't work in college against competent QBs.

You clearly stopped watching the rest of the first half after the two long Walton runs. The second drive stalled inside the 10 and they kicked a field goal. Every possession after that they did nothing.

So he didn't try to pass the ball downfield those drives? Guess you missed the several drops that would have resulted in major yardage instead of a 3 and out.

Advertisement
the 2 things said about Delaney preseason was that he would bully our WR's in practice. Very physical, and that he was very mature in the video room. Answering everything from Rumph and pointing out things to the younger guys... so far neither of those traits have surfaced.. so idk what to think....

would he be better at safety with redwine?

He hasn't been given the chance to Bully the WR. I honestly do not recall us running actual press in either of these two games. I haven't seen any of our DBs get hands on the WR at the LOS. Closest thing I saw was press bail.

[TWEET]913106532556034048[/TWEET]
Hmmm... surprising
Brad played famu and fau to open up
Malik played bcu and toledo(after a 3 week hiatus from football)

Last edited:
Hmmm... surprising

I thought Kaaya's first game was [MENTION=10383]louisville[/MENTION] in 2014.

Advertisement
Hmmm... surprising

Louisville and FAMU.. not exactly a fair comparison.

Louisville wasn't the same Louisville back in 2014 than they have been last year with Action Jackson. They were a decent team, much like Toledo, but not world beaters.

Hmmm... surprising

Louisville wasn't the same Louisville back in 2014 than they have been last year with Action Jackson. They were a decent team, much like Toledo, but not world beaters.

No they just had some scrub named Teddy Bridgewater taking snaps. Whatever happened to that bum?

Oh yeah. He's the QB for the Minnesota Vikings.

Hmmm... surprising

Louisville finished the 2014 season with the 6th rank defense... Compared to BCU and Toledo's 2017 defenses, they were world beaters

Hmmm... surprising

They're not world beaters now. They have a good coach and a great QB.

That '14 Louisville defense was a season removed from the #1 total defense in the nation with Strong and finished '14 6th in total defense. It's not quite a fair comparison.

Advertisement
I could be wrong, bc I was overseas for 2014-2015 in Durka Durka Stan killing bad guys, but I'm pretty sure Kaaya never played against a Bridgewater led UL team...correct me if I'm wrong though...

Advertisement
Hmmm... surprising

No they just had some scrub named Teddy Bridgewater taking snaps. Whatever happened to that bum?

Oh yeah. He's the QB for the Minnesota Vikings.

That was 2013, when they were pretty decent for a season and beat us in the RAB. I'm talking Kaaya era 2014 forward

Hmmm... surprising

Those are Kaaya's stats from the first 2 games last season, against FAMU and FAU.

Yep under richt
Kaaya 2016 first 2 games vs Malik’s first 2 games this year

I will not defend the defense, except to say that given our personnel, I have no problem generally lining up in a 43 on 1st and 10 when the opposing team comes out with 3 WR.

As far as the offensive playcalling is concerning, I would suggest you watch the replay of the game and let us know if it changes your opinion. UM attempted 36 passes to 26 rushes for the game. And for those asking for more passes in the early downs, there were multiple passes on first down, many of them deep attempts. In fact, in the first half that many fans are complaining about, UM passed on 1st down 5 times and ran on first down 5 times -- seems like a pretty balanced attack on first down to me. And in total for the game, UM attempted a pass 16 times on first down. Counting the victory formation kneel down, we ran a total of 36 plays on first down (4 of those with less than 5 minutes to go when the game was already in hand). So in the 1st down plays that mattered, we passed the ball half the time (16/32). Again, a pretty balanced attack, even on first down (a more traditional running down).

Upon watching the game a second time in the comfort and quiet of my home, what I observed was balanced playcalling. I saw short/quick passes to the outside to take advantage of our speed and talent at WR. I saw effective running plays. I saw the RPO work and defenders forced to respect Rosier on the option. I saw deep passes down the sidelines and to the middle of the field (with several drops in the first half, but drops are not a playcalling issue).

Watch the game again. This notion about the playcalling being too conservative during the Toledo game is a false narrative. It's just noise.

Advertisement
Back