Thoughts upon rewatching the game

What Delaney needs can't be obtained at this stage of his career...homeboy lacks quickness and the ability to flip his hips and run.

No amount of confidence in the world is going to fix his physical limitations. He's best suited to be used to cover opposing tight ends and big possession types....but he's going to continue to struggle against receivers with any type of quickness.

He's the perfect example of why combine numbers lie. He's big for a corner and probably runs really fast in a straight line but none of that means a **** if you can't change direction quickly. I'm sure the stop watches will love him but the amount of separation he gives up is really disturbing. If not for some Toledo drops his day would have been even worse.

But yet he was an FCS all American last year. His pre season hype was not based on combine type measurables. He's got three years of game tape for the coaches to make a decision based on. I doubt they would have offered him a scholarship if he was getting abused like he has in the first two games. I understand the talent at the FCS level is not the same but it's not like the two teams we've played so far are super talented. ****, he got roasted by Bethune and they're a bad FCS team. So, somewhere between last season and now, he completely lost his physical talents? I don't think that's the issue. To me he looks lost. It's not a physical issue, I think he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

He did look lost, but he also was ridiculously slow reacting to routes near him. That's not a confusion thing...that's a lack of quickness thing.

Lower level of competition combined with NFL measurables on the surface led to our expectations being out of wack.

I'm not sure about the quickness part.

On several plays it looked like he was reacting slowly out of indecision, rather than a lack of physical quickness. Call it a lack of mental quickness, I guess

Advertisement
What Delaney needs can't be obtained at this stage of his career...homeboy lacks quickness and the ability to flip his hips and run.

No amount of confidence in the world is going to fix his physical limitations. He's best suited to be used to cover opposing tight ends and big possession types....but he's going to continue to struggle against receivers with any type of quickness.

He's the perfect example of why combine numbers lie. He's big for a corner and probably runs really fast in a straight line but none of that means a **** if you can't change direction quickly. I'm sure the stop watches will love him but the amount of separation he gives up is really disturbing. If not for some Toledo drops his day would have been even worse.

But yet he was an FCS all American last year. His pre season hype was not based on combine type measurables. He's got three years of game tape for the coaches to make a decision based on. I doubt they would have offered him a scholarship if he was getting abused like he has in the first two games. I understand the talent at the FCS level is not the same but it's not like the two teams we've played so far are super talented. ****, he got roasted by Bethune and they're a bad FCS team. So, somewhere between last season and now, he completely lost his physical talents? I don't think that's the issue. To me he looks lost. It's not a physical issue, I think he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

He did look lost, but he also was ridiculously slow reacting to routes near him. That's not a confusion thing...that's a lack of quickness thing.

Lower level of competition combined with NFL measurables on the surface led to our expectations being out of wack.

I'm not sure about the quickness part.

On several plays it looked like he was reacting slowly out of indecision, rather than a lack of physical quickness. Call it a lack of mental quickness, I guess

When a receiver from Toledo or BCC run a slant or a sluggo route on you, 3 yards from the line of scrimmage...it has nothing to do with his knowledge of the defense. He's got one job in that situation and that's to limit separation.

Don't buy all these "mental" errors and "lack of confidence" garbage....the guy was simply overrated and the lack of competition combined with the fact he looks good getting off the bus got him hype he didn't deserve.

Irvin is fat and out of shape, which is shameful and concerning. He is soft as **** but looks like he has good hands but he can't run or block. Delaney is unsure of himself and if you don't know the call or where to lineup well the defense is ****ed from the start. Kid needs to make a play Friday, pop his cherry and get hype with with his teammates. Let it rip kid lets go

We'll see how Delaney bounces back this week. Most of the secondary errors I saw can be fixed. Guys not turning their heads for the ball, way guys lined up pre snap, understanding where your help is, technique issues, taking proper angles, coverage breakdowns etc.

One difference I noticed about the d-line from last year to this year is effort. Just doesn't look as if guys are playing as hard as they were. Same with the o-line..doesn't look like guys are firing off the ball/fighting. Effort doesn't seem to be where it needs to be IMO. Go watch the 19909 d-line play and then watch a clip from this game and you'll see a difference in effort that I'm talking about.

Advertisement
@DMoney, any comments or observations on the the defense being played. There has been much criticism here on some of the defensive formations we've employed, little use of nickel, lining up too far from the slot, playing soft, trying to be too cute with some of our formations or blitz packages, leaving the slot open, etc etc.

Just your thoughts on any of these based on your rewatching.

There are others who will break down Xs and Os better than me. We clearly looked unprepared to deal with the slot receiver at the end of the first half. Diaz suggested post-game that players were fatigued and not doing what they were supposed to during that series.

Generally, I thought the real explosive plays came off of pure mental breakdowns from Jackson and Delaney. Diaz still gets blame for not teaching it right, but I'm not sure that's a schematic issue.

As for base 4-3 defense vs. nickel, I think we like McCloud more than our DB depth. Unless a team is talented enough to dictate the way we line up, I understand why we are comfortable in base.

I remember seeing one play where Delaney barely moved and just watched a receiver blow right by him. I know that particular time wasn't a scheme issue.

Also, I get you as far as nickle. There a lot of people screaming for it, but if you don't think you have the talent to plug it in effectively, maybe they feel that a more talented LB, rather than an unprepared DB, is the better option.

As far as base, we have some porsters saying we're too vanilla and some saying we're too cute. I'm not one of those guys that studies film and breaks down every single play, but my eyes tell me we were putting on mostly base defenses, with occasional blitzes dialed in

My problem isn't that we were running base defense over nickel. My problem is we were running base over nickel AND had backup LBs in. No way in **** Charles Perry is better to have on the field than Trajan Bandy or Malek young. Again Quarterman, McCloud, Pinckney should really be the only LBs to really see the field. If one of them is tired, sub in a DB and go Nickel, or my actual preference would be to sub in a DE and go with a 5-2 look. We are deepest at DL, so if we are really trying to get the best 11 on the field, we should be subbing in more DL over backup LBs or DBs.

If we're subbing that much through the rest of the season, it'll be a problem. I have no issues with them doing a ****-ton of subbing against Toledo. You are far more likely to be injured while fatigued, as that is when technique and form breaks down. Our players were de-conditioned, and I'd rather not have more injuries like that string of injuries that occured in the second quarter.

I'm assuming the layoff and lack of football activities affected conditioning this week. Hopefully, our guys can be in better game shape on Friday so we don't need to sub as much.

Should be quite a bit cooler with less humidity.

Some really confused posters ITT like always but this is especially bad. Coverage is approximately 80% technique/film study and 20% athleticism. Right now it's obvious Delaney doesn't trust his technique. He's high in his stance/pedal, tentative with his eyes and he's opening his hips early instead of staying square to mirror. I don't know how much of that is what he's being taught and I don't know what scheme and technique he's used to coming from the Citadel but most of his issues are correctable (as is often the case with DBs). It's the technique and mental errors that are causing him to look slow, but he does have some stiffness which is to be expected given his size.

I predict that as Delaney continues to learn the new defense, gets acclimated to the faster speed of ACC/FBS play and improves his conditioning his confidence will grow and he will be an asset. This will happen over many reps and not just a flipped switch after 1 INT smh. The only concern I have going forward is whether Diaz is gonna keep calling for press-bail coverage because that's not Delaney's strong suit, and realistically it's not suited to our personnel in general.

Advertisement
Some really confused posters ITT like always but this is especially bad. Coverage is approximately 80% technique/film study and 20% athleticism. Right now it's obvious Delaney doesn't trust his technique. He's high in his stance/pedal, tentative with his eyes and he's opening his hips early instead of staying square to mirror. I don't know how much of that is what he's being taught and I don't know what scheme and technique he's used to coming from the Citadel but most of his issues are correctable (as is often the case with DBs). It's the technique and mental errors that are causing him to look slow, but he does have some stiffness which is to be expected given his size.

I predict that as Delaney continues to learn the new defense, gets acclimated to the faster speed of ACC/FBS play and improves his conditioning his confidence will grow and he will be an asset. This will happen over many reps and not just a flipped switch after 1 INT smh. The only concern I have going forward is whether Diaz is gonna keep calling for press-bail coverage because that's not Delaney's strong suit, and realistically it's not suited to our personnel in general.

Post more

Rewatched as well and there were too many missed tackles from the LBs. Way too many tackles made by DBs. I agree with the poster WH recommended Oklahomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seas, quick question( and I really appreciate your post), but do you think Delaney is simply too big/heavy? I get the sense he'd be better off 10 pounds lighter

Advertisement
Having a DE in coverage doesn't automatically qualify you as a "NoD" disciple, it is done successfully throughout CFB and the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Solid post. The receiver quality he's faced so far this year is no better than what he saw every week at the Citadel, so I don't think it's a matter of him being over-matched physically. The thing is, you would assume our coaches would have noted what type of scheme the Citadel was using him in and decided if he was suited for Diaz's defense before ever offering him a scholarship. He's confused and has lost confidence.

I hear all that and tend to reserve negative judgment when it comes to our guys, but he looks supremely uncomfortable and awkward in his movement and coverage. Colbert, never looked anywhere near as vulnerable, from the get. IMO, it's OBVIOUS, Malek is our best guy outside and in coverage. I don't get the size concerns, all I saw was a guy willing to come up and lay out to make a play for his team in the run game, never mind the fact that his cover skills are clearly superior to the bigger guys.

Advertisement
On second watch the D has not been so bad. They have defended the run and fit the gaps pretty well. It's the secondary that's slow in catching up. I will never agree with leaving players uncovered off the line though. I see no upside to that.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Diaz needs to give him one guy and say stop him. Not put him in combo coverages. That's what they did with the FR Lbs last season. I'm sure they're smart enough to figure out what's wrong unlike the previous staph

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

the 2 things said about Delaney preseason was that he would bully our WR's in practice. Very physical, and that he was very mature in the video room. Answering everything from Rumph and pointing out things to the younger guys... so far neither of those traits have surfaced.. so idk what to think....

would he be better at safety with redwine?

Advertisement
Back