Thoughts upon rewatching the game

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Overall, I thought it was a good win. Toledo punches above their weight class, and Miami beat them by three scores under unique circumstances.

- Malik Rosier's play has been the brightest spot of these first two games. He is calm and making excellent decisions. As Richt told the Hurricane Hotline yesterday, Rosier has become a new player and changed a lot of minds. One thing that's hard to tell from non-contact practice is running ability. He looked more dynamic than I've ever seen on that first TD run.

- Not much to say about Mark Walton and Travis Homer. They are elite competitors and set the tone for the team.

- As great as those two are, the engine of our running game has been the right side of the offensive line. Tyler Gauthier, Navaughn Donaldson and Tyree St. Louis all have great size for their position and have been opening up monster holes. Kc McDermott had a tough day against #9 , which caused Rosier to rush a few throws. He needs to play better and he's capable of it.

- Michael Irvin II showed his receiving talent but needs to improve his blocking. He got blown up a couple times, which disrupted plays.

- When Ahmmon Richards gets back this week, I hope we pair him with Mike Harley. The Duke defense will have some tough decisions to make with that kind of speed on both sides and Braxton Berrios/Jeff Thomas in the slot. This game reminded me a lot of Appalachian St. with the blocking by the WRs. On Rosier's TD run, Lawrence Cager almost knocked his defender in the crowd. Ron Dugans deserves a lot of credit for the way those guys compete in the run game.

- The front seven did a good job. Trent Harris reminded everyone what he can do and Jon Garvin flashed a couple times. Jon Ford also had a really eye-opening series in garbage time. He might be the most gifted DT on the roster when you combine length, size, flexibility and athleticism.

- Most of the breakdowns in the defensive backfield were mental. I attribute a lot of that to the layoff and the precise execution of Toledo. Their QB plays the game very fast mentally and gets rid of it quick. Dee Delaney has been a hot topic on the board. I just think he needs confidence. It's so important at that position and he doesn't have much right now. In camp he was high-energy, challenging our top guys and attacking every ball. A pick against Duke would go a long way to getting his swagger back.

Advertisement
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION], any comments or observations on the the defense being played. There has been much criticism here on some of the defensive formations we've employed, little use of nickel, lining up too far from the slot, playing soft, trying to be too cute with some of our formations or blitz packages, leaving the slot open, etc etc.

Just your thoughts on any of these based on your rewatching.

Advertisement
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION], any comments or observations on the the defense being played. There has been much criticism here on some of the defensive formations we've employed, little use of nickel, lining up too far from the slot, playing soft, trying to be too cute with some of our formations or blitz packages, leaving the slot open, etc etc.

Just your thoughts on any of these based on your rewatching.

I'm interested to hear Lu's thoughts as well.

Agree with you 100% on the OL D$.

That right side has been stout, Big Vaughn moves the earth with his natural power & has the footwork of skill position player.

St. Louis has really locked down that RT spot, he's been the most consistent lineman we've had since last year.

Darling & McDermott are still struggling with Bull rushers, on that sack we gave up Darling was beaten like a rented mule.

I hope Searels continues to work with those guys because we're heading into ACC play & we need them step it up.

Garvin looked like a beast on that Sack he had called back due to the face mask. That wingspan is something you see from NBA players, as he continues to grow that kid is gonna be a monster!

did DJ johnson play? i don't remember him getting in. did I miss he is on the injured list?

D, are you still upset about the whole Perry starting debacle?
I guess it depends on your definition of debacle. Rosier stepping up and transforming his game so we don't need to rollout a True Freshmans is hardly a debacle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I think a key struggle of the defense is at the safety position. We are playing new players to the position and young guys. Carter struggled as expected for a freshman and JJ has been pretty average. Redwine has been slow to come up and has taken bad angles. Just shows us what gems we had in Carter & Jenkins. Those 2 guys cleaned up a lot in the secondary allowing the young LBs to play fast.

did DJ johnson play? i don't remember him getting in. did I miss he is on the injured list?

I saw him on the drive that Toledo scored right before our pick. We brought in a whole D of young guys, and I thought it was aa bit too early. Still 11 minutes left in the game at that point only up 3 scores to a high powered O.

D, are you still upset about the whole Perry starting debacle?
I guess it depends on your definition of debacle. Rosier stepping up and transforming his game so we don't need to rollout a True Freshmans is hardly a debacle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am most concerned about the psyche of those that went all in on the best arm they have seen on green tree, the next heisman winner at the U, the god, the king, N'Kosi.

Advertisement
We were losing to Toledo at halftime. Let's just keep that in perspective. Toledo is not a good school. Not even an ACC caliber school.

On offense Malik "Stephen Morris" Rosier has been hot and cold. When he's hot though he ran that offense much better than Kaka did. I hope he can stay hot throughout most of the games.
I agree with you on Walton and Homer. They need to stay healthy though, and Walton's already dinged up.

Mullins should have been/needs to move to DB. He's athletic as **** but can't catch. I'd like to see Dallas moved to DB as well. We need depth there. These two kids have the hips to play corner here, Delaney....I just don't see it with this kid. Mental or physical. He couldn't even tackle the wr who torched him in coverage time and time again.

Speaking of tackling. The tackling was subpar, especially in the first half. Shaq made some good sticks but failed to wrap up on at least couple of runs. Middle linebacker needs to be the best tackler on the field.
Our defensive line is getting pressure, but you need decent coverage for them to do their work. If WR's are running around uncovered, it's easy street for a QB to make 3 step drop throws and dink and dunk type of throws which = no sacks or pass rush.

Safeties-I have no idea what is going on with the safeties. Not sure if it's a young/new player thing or a talent thing. The combination or JJ, Redwine, and Carter so far has not looked good.

Why aren't we pressing the wr's? Our corners need to be mugging these guys at the LOS.

I think Diaz needs to run a vanilla 4-3-4, 4-2-6 defense. Similar to what R. Shannon did in the early 2000's. Play bump and run with safeties over the top and allow our DL/LBers to pressure the QB. Keep it simple and allow the DB's time to gel. Later in the year perhaps introduce a couple of corner blitz concepts like we did last year with Corn.

We were losing to Toledo at halftime. Let's just keep that in perspective. Toledo is not a good school. Not even an ACC caliber school.

On offense Malik "Stephen Morris" Rosier has been hot and cold. When he's hot though he ran that offense much better than Kaka did. I hope he can stay hot throughout most of the games.
I agree with you on Walton and Homer. They need to stay healthy though, and Walton's already dinged up.

Mullins should have been/needs to move to DB. He's athletic as **** but can't catch. I'd like to see Dallas moved to DB as well. We need depth there. These two kids have the hips to play corner here, Delaney....I just don't see it with this kid. Mental or physical. He couldn't even tackle the wr who torched him in coverage time and time again.

Speaking of tackling. The tackling was subpar, especially in the first half. Shaq made some good sticks but failed to wrap up on at least couple of runs. Middle linebacker needs to be the best tackler on the field.
Our defensive line is getting pressure, but you need decent coverage for them to do their work. If WR's are running around uncovered, it's easy street for a QB to make 3 step drop throws and dink and dunk type of throws which = no sacks or pass rush.

Safeties-I have no idea what is going on with the safeties. Not sure if it's a young/new player thing or a talent thing. The combination or JJ, Redwine, and Carter so far has not looked good.

Why aren't we pressing the wr's? Our corners need to be mugging these guys at the LOS.

I think Diaz needs to run a vanilla 4-3-4, 4-2-6 defense. Similar to what R. Shannon did in the early 2000's. Play bump and run with safeties over the top and allow our DL/LBers to pressure the QB. Keep it simple and allow the DB's time to gel. Later in the year perhaps introduce a couple of corner blitz concepts like we did last year with Corn.

Held them 2 TD's under their average points per game with about 6 defensive lapses and 3 missed tackles that would've resulted in a 4th and 3+

Advertisement
If the NCAA changed the rules and allowed UM to run a 4-2-6, I think that would help a lot.

Tend to agree. Defense looks like it needs to simplify. Too much talent in front 7 to waste thinking.

Advertisement
Back