Thoughts on the Nebraska loss and the state of the program

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
- The Louisville loss and the Nebraska loss were really two sides of the same coin. Louisville stacked the box and dared us to adjust. That's a risky strategy against a team with Phillip Dorsett, but they wanted to dictate the action. We failed to adjust, and we lost. Nebraska ran its two top players into the ground and dared us to stop them. We failed to adjust, and we lost.

The easy thing to do is blame the coordinators-- Coley for Louisville, D'Onofrio for Nebraska. But I know that Coley has a borderline irrational confidence in Kaaya. I have also been told that Coach Golden spends way more time in the offensive meetings than the defensive meetings due to his trust in Coach D and their shared defensive philosophies.

At the end of the day, the head guy is responsible. And what I see is a lack of confidence. For me, one play crystallizes everything. In the fourth quarter, Nebraska ran a pick play in the red zone and got flagged for PI. The confident decision would have been to accept the penalty, take the third and long and potentially force a long field goal. Instead, we declined the penalty, and the kicker barely bounced in a short FG that made it a two-score game.

I have always been patient with head coaches. I grew up in the Butch era and remember a large section of the fan base (including the early message boards) giving up on him before his plan fully came to fruition. But this is a results business. Three years in, the results say that we cannot accomplish the most basic goal of a well-prepared team: stopping the run. When Notre Dame bludgeoned us, we blamed it on youth. When Duke and Virginia Tech killed our season, we were on the cusp but not there yet. Now it's year four, and nothing has changed but the names of the players getting thrown under the bus. The results speak for themselves.

I don't see any coaching changes happening before the end of the season. He will be judged on the end product. I will be at every home game cheering like crazy for a miracle turnaround. But the Golden era is trending in the direction of the Shannon era. Year One was a rebuild. Year Two was when the young players showed signs of life. Year Three brought a brief moment of national relevance followed by a late-season collapse and a dispiriting bowl loss in Orlando. Year Four was when the team quit. Let's see how it plays out.

- One of the saddest things about the loss is that we aren't talking about how special Brad Kaaya is. One-third of the way through the season, he is leading the ACC in passing yards, tied for the lead in passing TDs, and on pace to set the UM single-season touchdown record. His poise and accuracy on the road was astounding. No matter what happens with the coaches, Kaaya gives all UM fans a reason to keep the faith.

- In terms of the players, the most disappointing thing for me has been the safety play. In spring and August camp, these guys were setting tone by playing fast and physical. However, they have started the season by missing tackles, taking horrible angles and at times looking just as slow as Highsmith and Rodgers. This unit needs to make a huge leap if this team wants to make any noise in the ACC.

See you at the Duke game.

Advertisement
One of the saddest things about this entire debacle is that UM is completely irrelevant on the national stage. All the national guys want to talk about is Michigan and Brady Hoke and how Michigan should never be this bad. No mention of Miami when Folden has been a much bigger failure especially in big games.

Advertisement
- The Louisville loss and the Nebraska loss were really two sides of the same coin. Louisville stacked the box and dared us to adjust. That's a risky strategy against a team with Phillip Dorsett, but they wanted to dictate the action. We failed to adjust, and we lost. Nebraska ran its two top players into the ground and dared us to stop them. We failed to adjust, and we lost.

The easy thing to do is blame the coordinators-- Coley for Louisville, D'Onofrio for Nebraska. But I know that Coley has a borderline irrational confidence in Kaaya. I have also been told that Coach Golden spends way more time in the offensive meetings than the defensive meetings due to his trust in Coach D and their shared defensive philosophies.

At the end of the day, the head guy is responsible. And what I see is a lack of confidence. For me, one play crystallizes everything. In the fourth quarter, Nebraska ran a pick play in the red zone and got flagged for PI. The confident decision would have been to accept the penalty, take the third and long and potentially force a long field goal. Instead, we declined the penalty, and the kicker barely bounced in a short FG that made it a two-score game.

I have always been patient with head coaches. I grew up in the Butch era and remember a large section of the fan base (including the early message boards) giving up on him before his plan fully came to fruition. But this is a results business. Three years in, the results say that we cannot accomplish the most basic goal of a well-prepared team: stopping the run. When Notre Dame bludgeoned us, we blamed it on youth. When Duke and Virginia Tech killed our season, we were on the cusp but not there yet. Now it's year four, and nothing has changed but the names of the players getting thrown under the bus. The results speak for themselves.

I don't see any coaching changes happening before the end of the season. He will be judged on the end product. I will be at every home game cheering like crazy for a miracle turnaround. But the Golden era is trending in the direction of the Shannon era. Year One was a rebuild. Year Two was when the young players showed signs of life. Year Three brought a brief moment of national relevance followed by a late-season collapse and a dispiriting bowl loss in Orlando. Year Four was when the team quit. Let's see how it plays out.

- One of the saddest things about the loss is that we aren't talking about how special Brad Kaaya is. One-third of the way through the season, he is leading the ACC in passing yards, tied for the lead in passing TDs, and on pace to set the UM single-season touchdown record. His poise and accuracy on the road was astounding. No matter what happens with the coaches, Kaaya gives all UM fans a reason to keep the faith.

- In terms of the players, the most disappointing thing for me has been the safety play. In spring and August camp, these guys were setting tone by playing fast and physical. However, they have started the season by missing tackles, taking horrible angles and at times looking just as slow as Highsmith and Rodgers. This unit needs to make a huge leap if this team wants to make any noise in the ACC.

See you at the Duke game.

They aren't going to get better, they can't get better. We've rotated a lot of names through that position under Goldofrio and they've all looked like crap. It's not the players, it's the defense. I'm afraid this is just what safeties are going to look like under these coaches and I won't expect any different until new coaching arrives. It doesn't stand to reason that we've completely whiffed on like the last 8 safeties that we've recruited.

I have also been told that Coach Golden spends way more time in the offensive meetings than the defensive meetings due to his trust in Coach D and their shared defensive philosophies.

:beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2:

One of the saddest things about this entire debacle is that UM is completely irrelevant on the national stage. All the national guys want to talk about is Michigan and Brady Hoke and how Michigan should never be this bad. No mention of Miami when Folden has been a much bigger failure especially in big games.

The media buys into the cloud bs.

D$,

I told Franchise that Brad Kaaya could be the best QB we've ever had at UM. He brings the intelligence of Kosar and Dorsey and a very good arm. I hope these retards don't squander him.

Advertisement
That is not a great Nebraska team. I watched the entire McNeese St game and they were very fortunate to win that one. It's just shocking to me how little in game coaching there seems to be by this staff. Why do you not try one thing differently on D when you are getting absolutely manhandled up front. Brock Huard was brutally honest doing the commentary, he was literally stunned at how passive we played defensively. He obviously hasn't watched us play much in the last 4 years. It was if he was channeling many a Cane fan on Saturday night.

D$,

I told Franchise that Brad Kaaya could be the best QB we've ever had at UM. He brings the intelligence of Kosar and Dorsey and a very good arm. I hope these retards don't squander him.

Couldn't agree more The kid is amazing. Just tuned 19 first year still cutting his teeth. Could be the best we'll ever see here. If they just let him play. Just let this kid play. Gonna bring some whoop ***. Gonna be fun.

That is true. The media just sees the headlines and they will give Golden a pass. This team should be sitting 5-0, and probably in the top 10 right now. I have a lot of confidence in the offense and special teams going forward. The defense needs to start over, scrap the 3/4 and go back to the 4/3. We have a lot of Flexibility with the guys currently on the DL. If I don't see at least one safety in the box on every running down next week, I am going to **** myself.

I have also been told that Coach Golden spends way more time in the offensive meetings than the defensive meetings due to his trust in Coach D and their shared defensive philosophies.

:beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2::beedog2:

I was told the same thing. By Folden himself. He said during a preseason interview that he spends most of his time corching the offense and special teams.

Advertisement
I would not be surprised if our team ends up in having a losing record at end of this season.

The media buys into the cloud bs.

Folden is slicker than Hoke. Hoke is like Peter Griffin. The media faygs see him as a loveable loser. The media faygs and dumb UM fans are sucked into Al's slick talk game and Vitalis grooming.

Advertisement

I was told the same thing. By Folden himself. He said during a preseason interview that he spends most of his time corching the offense and special teams.

I mean, just wow. This guy is so confused that he's meddling with the wrong side of the ball. LOL

D$,

He's so good I hope he doesn't save these dopey corches.

That is not a great Nebraska team. I watched the entire McNeese St game and they were very fortunate to win.

Agreed. They are mediocre. There is a pronounced talent difference between Miami and Nebraska which will become obvious at the NFL level.

Advertisement
Back