Thoughts on banner and those asking for Golden's job.

people argue that this is golden's fourth year and that we should be better. i agree we should be better, but i look at this as this is his second year, given that his first two years were negated by the shapiro scandal. i give him 2 more years. however, there has to be a material upgrade at the DC and position coach level, and i think this will happen AFTER the season is over.

golden is a smart person and he knows he's in a pickle. he's not going to go down with the ship to save the DC. and he is not going to out his DC right now and say the scheme sucks and needs to be changed. what kind of message would this send to the players that have to buy into and execute the scheme? the most likely scenario that i see is that the DC will resign rather than be fired. a new DC will come in and perhaps upgrade position coaches. the OC has issues to, but there may be some more patience there given his shorter tenure and his ability to recruit.

i like golden as a head coach as long as he shows he is flexible enough to make the changes he needs. this year will tell us whether he is or he is not.

Folks like you are symptomatic of the ****-poor culture we have today. What in Hades do you base a two-year forbearance on? You work for the DOT?

I came from Special Ops, specifically SF - and while we never stopped training and improving - in eighteen months, I went from surfing and hanging around the beach to being well trained in four separate Military Occupational Specialties. We conducted combat operations - where there's no second place, no time-outs, and no do-overs.

Each day was pass/fail, and to fail meant you got kilt. The enemy didn't give us a pass because we may have only been in the combat arena for a short period of time! We had to perform! Our crew had a record that varied from 100:1 to 150:1.

I don't want to hear any siht about what can and can't be done. I KNOW what can and can't be done.

Two years! What a dip****.

[video=youtube;3X60mrYO1UU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X60mrYO1UU[/video]

Advertisement
people argue that this is golden's fourth year and that we should be better. i agree we should be better, but i look at this as this is his second year, given that his first two years were negated by the shapiro scandal. i give him 2 more years. however, there has to be a material upgrade at the DC and position coach level, and i think this will happen AFTER the season is over.

golden is a smart person and he knows he's in a pickle. he's not going to go down with the ship to save the DC. and he is not going to out his DC right now and say the scheme sucks and needs to be changed. what kind of message would this send to the players that have to buy into and execute the scheme? the most likely scenario that i see is that the DC will resign rather than be fired. a new DC will come in and perhaps upgrade position coaches. the OC has issues to, but there may be some more patience there given his shorter tenure and his ability to recruit.

i like golden as a head coach as long as he shows he is flexible enough to make the changes he needs. this year will tell us whether he is or he is not.
You are what is wrong with this program. 4 years is enough time to win the worst division within the power 5. Not a single team in the Coastal has recruited better than we have even under the NCAA thing, and here you are making more excuses. You're a loser and a clown and are the perfect fan for an Al Golden led team that always looks for excuses as to why they failed.

Now that I have that out of the way I wanted to express my personal opinion on the matter. At this point unless Al Golden fires his DC, hires a better one and openly expresses to the fan base that Miami will run a different defense and he will leave it to the DC to determine than Al Golden should be fired. I appreciate Golden sticking with us during our troubles and his efforts on the recruiting front and bringing in some guys with connections to South Florida football, but based off performance and expectations Al Golden should be fired. Fly the **** plane this game and every other game if that is what it takes. I am tired of talking about how good we were 13 years ago.

All of the above is based off of my opinion.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Go Canes!

This is where i'm at, but we still need to have a decent finish for me to be ok about just getting rid of D'onofrio and the scheme.

I want to make it clear where CanesInSight stands on Golden and the banner. Simply put as a site we do not endorse flying banners that are negative in nature, which this banner is. That being said I will no longer delete threads of those wishing to do so. I believe CanesInSight can stay neutral in the matter and at the same time its users and staff can form their own opinion and express it on our site. Our message board has almost 2 million post so it is safe to say this site was created for discussion to take place.

I'm not sure how you can maintain a neutral stance when your sister site is named on the banner, albeit she's an ulgy red-headed step-sister.

There will be backlash. A prominent brand named poster on that other site is saying consequences will never be the same.

For the past decade it seems like Miami has been in a continues state of under performing. Under Larry Coker we heard the phrase "country club" and under Randy Shannon we had bubble screens and bad playing calling on offense as well as strength issues.

What seems to be making Golden's issue different is you have former players calling out his defense on basic fundamentals. For instance our goal line defense against Georgia Tech and number of players we have put in the box against teams heavily favor the run. In my opinion calls for the firing of Al Golden are currently much louder than they were at the same point in the season when Coker and Shannon were in charge.

There are a small amount of users on this site that appear to be upset about the banner that is scheduled to fly. Their issue is it doesn't help the program as it will hurt recruiting efforts. I believe they are right in their assessment but unfortunately things like this have to happen for the school to know the fan base is serious about change.

I want to make it clear where CanesInSight stands on Golden and the banner. Simply put as a site we do not endorse flying banners that are negative in nature, which this banner is. That being said I will no longer delete threads of those wishing to do so. I believe CanesInSight can stay neutral in the matter and at the same time its users and staff can form their own opinion and express it on our site. Our message board has almost 2 million post so it is safe to say this site was created for discussion to take place.

Now that I have that out of the way I wanted to express my personal opinion on the matter. At this point unless Al Golden fires his DC, hires a better one and openly expresses to the fan base that Miami will run a different defense and he will leave it to the DC to determine than Al Golden should be fired. I appreciate Golden sticking with us during our troubles and his efforts on the recruiting front and bringing in some guys with connections to South Florida football, but based off performance and expectations Al Golden should be fired. Fly the **** plane this game and every other game if that is what it takes. I am tired of talking about how good we were 13 years ago.

The path to changing a football coach is never a smooth one. It typically starts with fans that want immediate results and over time former players join in and then the rest of the fan base. At this point all 3 have happened and what you see is all of those expressing openly. Based off how our past 2 seasons ended I am not sure you are going to see a team that gets any better as the season goes on. If the calls continue to get louder as it appears they are and if the performance doesn't improve which I see no reason why it would than I believe either Golden or D'Onofrio will be fired at seasons end.

All of the above is based off of my opinion.

Go Canes!

As a 93 alum and fan since 1987, I'm with you Andrew. this is how I feel. They need to know that we are unhappy and that this bs Al talks about on the radio, as if we don't know football is insulting. If he is not going to change, get his *** out!!!! The kids deserve better, just like the kids under clappy and onion.

Advertisement

All of the above is based off of my opinion.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Go Canes!

This is where i'm at, but we still need to have a decent finish for me to be ok about just getting rid of D'onofrio and the scheme.

Guy should make a change now, don't wait. I think the scheme could work with a different coach running it. One who runs it like MSU does.

You guys sound like women who repeatedly watch their husband have affairs, but tell their girlfriend's "no no, this is it -- if he doesn't change I'm out!"

Get ahold of yourselves. This man is 5-7 over his last 12 games. He just blamed night games for his losses this season. He's completely mismanaging talent. He's losing to tea,s he has no business losing to. Let that sink in.

We are not looking at a cutthroat, kill his momma for a win, win at all costs, big time college football coach.

The problems are much deeper than his defense. Which, by the way, if you missed him defending it at every turn in every press conference, he still doesn't blame. If you think the man that designed this defense, wrote a 300-page binder on it, and still runs it for the 3rd straight year despite its failure is open to completely scrap that ... You're nuts.

But that's not the point. The defense is merely a small blip on the "why Al Golden sucks as a coach" radar. We are looking at a man that coaches scared, holds no tactical advantage over his opposition, and is unable to stop making excuses.

New DC... Shhiiiiiiieeeettttttt.

Last edited:
davis.jpg

You guys sound like women who repeatedly watch their husband have affairs, but tell their girlfriend's "no no, this is it -- if he doesn't change I'm out!"

Get ahold of yourselves. This man is 5-7 over his last 12 games. He just blamed night games for his losses this season. He's completely mismanaging talent. He's losing to tea,s he has no business losing to. Let that sink in.

We are not looking at a cutthroat, kill his momma for a win, win at all costs, big time college football coach.

The problems are much deeper than his defense. Which, by the way, if you missed him defending it at every turn in every press conference, he still doesn't blame. If you think the man that designed this defense, wrote a 300-page binder on it, and still runs it for the 3rd straight year despite its failure is open to completely scrap that ... You're nuts.

But that's not the point. The defense is merely a small blip on the "why Al Golden sucks as a coach" radar. We are looking at a man that coaches scared, holds no tactical advantage over his opposition, and is unable to stop making excuses.

Golden was never mean to be more than that loser at the corner of your local Applebeees bar telling stories about his high school football days

Advertisement
i dont disagree that the DC should have been fired last year. That would have been wonderful, but it did not happen and it is not likely to happen during the season.

golden has a lot of great qualities that at least the last two coaches have not had. i would retain him with the proviso that there be significant change and upgrading on the defensive side. if he accepts this, then this would show me that he has the capacity to change and alter courses. if he does not, he is likely to lose his job.

Agree with this 100%. Our defense, and our defensive strategy, simply reflect Golden's overall play-not-to-lose mentality, which permeates all aspects of the team. It's why our senior starting QB last year said "you win some, you lose some." It's why our offensive gameplan against Louisville was all about not risking throwing the ball down the field, even though they stacked the box and made it impossible to run or use the short passing game. It's why we declined an offensive PI penalty in the red zone against Nebraska, which would have made the FG attempt much longer, because we were worried that they'd convert on 3rd and 17. It's why we didn't use a timeout with around a minute left before the half against Duke because we were worried they'd go for it on 4th down. Our staff's strategy, our head coach's strategy, is to play not to lose.

We have the defensive talent to play an aggressive, attacking defense. We have the best offensive talent that we've had probably since the early 2000s, enough talent to attack defenses in many different ways. We have enough speed and athleticism to have elite return and coverage teams on STs. Yet, we're average to poor in all three phases of the game. Our defensive scheme sucks, but not as bad as our head coach's play not to lose attitude.

The Shapiro thing is complete rubbish.

We had better recruiting classes during the first 2 years than anyone else in the coastal. Yet, we cannot win the coastal. We lose not because of a lack of talent, but because of poor scheme, player development, and discipline. Yes discipline. We have had more felonies and people kicked off the team under Golden than under Davis, Coker, and Shannon combined.

A good coach would have us competing against the great teams while winning our coastal consistently.

i dont disagree that the DC should have been fired last year. That would have been wonderful, but it did not happen and it is not likely to happen during the season.

golden has a lot of great qualities that at least the last two coaches have not had. i would retain him with the proviso that there be significant change and upgrading on the defensive side. if he accepts this, then this would show me that he has the capacity to change and alter courses. if he does not, he is likely to lose his job.

This is not logical.

If you're only looking at the 3 utter disasters we've had at head coach as a barometer for how they should perform, you're in trouble.

And even if you think he's slightly better at some things than our last two coaches, so what? So are 90% of the coaches in the country. That shouldn't be why you retain him. "Well, he's the best of the worst we've had, so keep him."

Also, on the field, ya know, where it actually matters, Golden is the worst of the bunch. Numbers don't lie.

Advertisement

This is not logical.

If you're only looking at the 3 utter disasters we've had at head coach as a barometer for how they should perform, you're in trouble.

And even if you think he's slightly better at some things than our last two coaches, so what? So are 90% of the coaches in the country. That shouldn't be why you retain him. "Well, he's the best of the worst we've had, so keep him."

Also, on the field, ya know, where it actually matters, Golden is the worst of the bunch. Numbers don't lie.

LOL.

Please rsa...list me just ONE "great quality" Golden has because I honestly can't think of one. I'd argue he's been the worst of the big 3 (Coker, Shannon, and the fat incompetent guy).

I'll hang up and listen.

This is not logical.

LOL.

Please rsa...list me just ONE "great quality" Golden has because I honestly can't think of one. I'd argue he's been the worst of the big 3 (Coker, Shannon, and the fat incompetent guy).

I'll hang up and listen.

He's got the best hair of any coach we have had since JJ

The funny thing is that there are a lot of people (against my better judgement, myself included) who are willing to give Golden more time if he could show some willingness to stop doing what clearly isn't working....but he won't. He seems like a very decent man, someone who you want to root for. But he is just to stuck in his ways. In life you adapt or die, its time for the Golden era to die.
Yeah, he's such a decent man that he's put the kids that committed to him and the program as a whole second to his friendship and his scheme. He's consistently put kids in a position to fail all for the sake of his scheme. He's blatantly lies in interviews and press conference about the defense and team. Lastly he expects kids to uphold his pillars when he doesn't do so himself. Yep, hes a real decent guy.

I think the best friend thing is overstated, he's married to his scheme, which isn't getting it done.

Advertisement
This situation is not that complicated, to figure out.

5 ships.

4 different coaches. (not sure if thats been done by any other program within same amount of time that we won ours, about 30yrs or so)

It's simple. If you know what your doing, you will win at UM.

It doesn't take 10 years to rebuild a program under some of the worst circumstances, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

it didnt take saban 6 years to rebuild msu,lsu, or bama.

It didn't take myer 6 years to rebuild uf

It didn't take harbaugh 6 years to rebuild stanford.

It didn't take strong 6 years to rebuild ul (to respectability)

It didn't take davis 6 years to rebuild unc (to respectability)

It didn't take kelly 6 years to rebuild nd

Even with the investigation, thers is no reason this team shouldn't have made any progress since he got here. You cant tell me this team doesnt look the 2011 team. What difference does it make if the current roster has more talent ? The performance on the field is the same. garbage.

Year four, no progress, he cant get it done hear.

Time for a change

None of his great qualities have anything to do with football. He has great hair and is well spoken. His recruiting is average to above average, his player development is terrible, his game day coaching is terrible, his game planning is terrible, his in game adjustments are terrible, his inability to play to the strengths of his players and forcing his scheme is the epitome of incompetence and negligence, he is loyal to the detriment of the players and program, he's put together one of the worst coaching staffs in the country, he personally coaches the special teams unit and they are terrible, his defensive philosophy is beyond incompetent. Please point out to me what are his good qualities. You've bought into the BS package that Golden presents during press conferences and interviews. Dig a little deeper and you will see he's an empty suit that is a detriment to this program. Open your eyes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back