Thoughts on banner and those asking for Golden's job.

Andrew

All American
Administrator
For the past decade it seems like Miami has been in a continues state of under performing. Under Larry Coker we heard the phrase "country club" and under Randy Shannon we had bubble screens and bad playing calling on offense as well as strength issues.

What seems to be making Golden's issue different is you have former players calling out his defense on basic fundamentals. For instance our goal line defense against Georgia Tech and number of players we have put in the box against teams heavily favor the run. In my opinion calls for the firing of Al Golden are currently much louder than they were at the same point in the season when Coker and Shannon were in charge.

There are a small amount of users on this site that appear to be upset about the banner that is scheduled to fly. Their issue is it doesn't help the program as it will hurt recruiting efforts. I believe they are right in their assessment but unfortunately things like this have to happen for the school to know the fan base is serious about change.

I want to make it clear where CanesInSight stands on Golden and the banner. Simply put as a site we do not endorse flying banners that are negative in nature, which this banner is. That being said I will no longer delete threads of those wishing to do so. I believe CanesInSight can stay neutral in the matter and at the same time its users and staff can form their own opinion and express it on our site. Our message board has almost 2 million post so it is safe to say this site was created for discussion to take place.

Now that I have that out of the way I wanted to express my personal opinion on the matter. At this point unless Al Golden fires his DC, hires a better one and openly expresses to the fan base that Miami will run a different defense and he will leave it to the DC to determine than Al Golden should be fired. I appreciate Golden sticking with us during our troubles and his efforts on the recruiting front and bringing in some guys with connections to South Florida football, but based off performance and expectations Al Golden should be fired. Fly the **** plane this game and every other game if that is what it takes. I am tired of talking about how good we were 13 years ago.

The path to changing a football coach is never a smooth one. It typically starts with fans that want immediate results and over time former players join in and then the rest of the fan base. At this point all 3 have happened and what you see is all of those expressing openly. Based off how our past 2 seasons ended I am not sure you are going to see a team that gets any better as the season goes on. If the calls continue to get louder as it appears they are and if the performance doesn't improve which I see no reason why it would than I believe either Golden or D'Onofrio will be fired at seasons end.

All of the above is based off of my opinion.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Now that we have that all cleared up.....

FLY THE BANNER!

(oh Andrew. Your "Go Canes" is the wrong color)

In my opinion calls for the firing of Al Golden are currently much louder than they were at the same point in the season when Coker and Shannon were in charge.

IMO, it's denial. We had 4-6 comparative down seasons in the '90s before returning with a vengeance to the absolute peak, perhaps higher than previously. Everybody expected a rerun, that we were birthrighted a rerun. Now we're beyond the timetable, and with no end in sight. Consequently the guy in charge is despised, and more than his predecessors. If the order were reversed, Coker would be feeling this heat and Golden would be the swell but overmatched guy we won a title with.

Frankly, I expect a rerun of this. Without the Orange Bowl and given our current stadium situation, I think we'll be hard pressed to return to legit national prominence. It would take extreme good fortunate in hiring the perfect guy. I think we'll see ongoing 3-4 year periods of hope and unrest, a laundry list of fires.

I don't care about the banner but I have to laugh at the timing. I'm going to the game but have no reason to leave my house by 10:40 even though I'm more than 20 miles away. Let's face it, that banner is designed for the media to take a picture of it, not for fans to look at it. He should have saved his money and done a mock up, like one of those phony little UFO models. A little bit of computer technology and we can pretend it actually was full scale and flew.

For the past decade it seems like Miami has been in a continues state of under performing. Under Larry Coker we heard the phrase "country club" and under Randy Shannon we had bubble screens and bad playing calling on offense as well as strength issues.

What seems to be making Golden's issue different is you have former players calling out his defense on basic fundamentals. For instance our goal line defense against Georgia Tech and number of players we have put in the box against teams heavily favor the run. In my opinion calls for the firing of Al Golden are currently much louder than they were at the same point in the season when Coker and Shannon were in charge.

There are a small amount of users on this site that appear to be upset about the banner that is scheduled to fly. Their issue is it doesn't help the program as it will hurt recruiting efforts. I believe they are right in their assessment but unfortunately things like this have to happen for the school to know the fan base is serious about change.

I want to make it clear where CanesInSight stands on Golden and the banner. Simply put as a site we do not endorse flying banners that are negative in nature, which this banner is. That being said I will no longer delete threads of those wishing to do so. I believe CanesInSight can stay neutral in the matter and at the same time its users and staff can form their own opinion and express it on our site. Our message board has almost 2 million post so it is safe to say this site was created for discussion to take place.

Now that I have that out of the way I wanted to express my personal opinion on the matter. At this point unless Al Golden fires his DC, hires a better one and openly expresses to the fan base that Miami will run a different defense and he will leave it to the DC to determine than Al Golden should be fired. I appreciate Golden sticking with us during our troubles and his efforts on the recruiting front and bringing in some guys with connections to South Florida football, but based off performance and expectations Al Golden should be fired. Fly the **** plane this game and every other game if that is what it takes. I am tired of talking about how good we were 13 years ago.

The path to changing a football coach is never a smooth one. It typically starts with fans that want immediate results and over time former players join in and then the rest of the fan base. At this point all 3 have happened and what you see is all of those expressing openly. Based off how our past 2 seasons ended I am not sure you are going to see a team that gets any better as the season goes on. If the calls continue to get louder as it appears they are and if the performance doesn't improve which I see no reason why it would than I believe either Golden or D'Onofrio will be fired at seasons end.

Go Canes!

Negged for being too neutral.

Advertisement
Drew - I expect the rage from the fans to get much greater.

I expect the press coverage to become more and more negative.

AND, I expect that if a straight up vote by the BOT were taken today, Golden would be fired. And as I look past Cincinnati, I don't see things possibly getting better.

We all saw how Clappy, and even Randy fired folks to buy another year - but you'll notice - the results are always the same. If it were me - I wouldn't give Al another year if he changes DC's.

The best, and smartest move Al can take is to negotiate now, to resign for family health reasons, which are a major distraction - which isn't fair to his players or the University - and he leaves with good will, helpful when he applies for another job.

He waits too late, and gets fired - it's really going to cost him in the long run.

Go Canes!

Negged for being too neutral.

Negged for being a **** head

The funny thing is that there are a lot of people (against my better judgement, myself included) who are willing to give Golden more time if he could show some willingness to stop doing what clearly isn't working....but he won't. He seems like a very decent man, someone who you want to root for. But he is just to stuck in his ways. In life you adapt or die, its time for the Golden era to die.

Who's better at dissertations, CAPS or this Awsi guy?

Holy **** @ u two technical writers.

Advertisement
Drew - I expect the rage from the fans to get much greater.

I expect the press coverage to become more and more negative.

AND, I expect that if a straight up vote by the BOT were taken today, Golden would be fired. And as I look past Cincinnati, I don't see things possibly getting better.

We all saw how Clappy, and even Randy fired folks to buy another year - but you'll notice - the results are always the same. If it were me - I wouldn't give Al another year if he changes DC's.

The best, and smartest move Al can take is to negotiate now, to resign for family health reasons, which are a major distraction - which isn't fair to his players or the University - and he leaves with good will, helpful when he applies for another job.

He waits too late, and gets fired - it's really going to cost him in the long run.

I wouldn't expect anything until the end of the season. Not sure why Golden negotiate anything. He gets paid well if he gets fired so why mess with that? I think your right on your other points.

Possibly, Al wants another coaching job in the near future, and the stigma of being fired for crappy results will greatly diminish his opportunities and his final annual pay.

But if he has to leave for personal reasons, that garners a certain amount of goodwill. Especially if he suggests that thusly distracted by family matters, he feels bad that he cannot devote his full attention to his players and do them right. More goodwill.

Sometimes short-term money costs one long-term money.

It's a graceful way out, and of course he can negotiate to resign, or tell them he'll just wait to be fired. His option.

WE NEED A COMPETENT COACH.

I don't know how else to say it. If Golden is retained it would be an outright disaster. You think the stadium is empty now? Wait til next year.

He HAS to go. It's non-negotiable.

Advertisement
There's nothing Golden can do at this point that would make me want to keep him.

NOT ONE IOTA

Advertisement
The funny thing is that there are a lot of people (against my better judgement, myself included) who are willing to give Golden more time if he could show some willingness to stop doing what clearly isn't working....but he won't. He seems like a very decent man, someone who you want to root for. But he is just to stuck in his ways. In life you adapt or die, its time for the Golden era to die.
Yeah, he's such a decent man that he's put the kids that committed to him and the program as a whole second to his friendship and his scheme. He's consistently put kids in a position to fail all for the sake of his scheme. He's blatantly lies in interviews and press conference about the defense and team. Lastly he expects kids to uphold his pillars when he doesn't do so himself. Yep, hes a real decent guy.

It's absurd that:

Stanford
TCU
Baylor
Oregon
Boise State
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
and
Virginia Tech

have all had substantially more successful seasons, often consistently, than Miami.

There is absolutely nothing - aside from coaching and only coaching - that explains why those programs have either once or often outperformed Miami. Stadium, cloud, academics. No excuse overrides the fact that all of the programs above would kill to have Miami's tradition and recruiting base. And those not in the Coastal would probably trade places in a heartbeat. Perhaps you could add organizational dedication to success to the very short list of reasons, but that would be the only additional factor of any significance.

Miami wouldnt allow him to hire Randy back they would block it and Andrew do you think the BOT notice all the heat that's on Golden and what do you think the percentage of him getting fired after this season is what are u hearing??

Advertisement
Back