Thoughts from the Opening

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Fun event. There was so much talent and so many drills going on at once that it was tough to keep track. But several guys made a quick impression.

- The talent at DB is as advertised. Josh Jobe is the reason that guys his age can't play HS football. He looked like a college junior competing against kids. Jobe has the total package physically and showed excellent closing speed at corner. Tyson Campbell was taller and lankier than I expected. He may still be growing. He outran Xavier Williams on a go route and picked the ball off like it was intended for him. Must-get. DJ Ivey is very long and plays with quality technique. He had a couple breakups in team drills. Divaad Wilson is an impressive athlete with a high ceiling if he keeps improving.

- American Heritage has two dominant personalities on the defensive line. I'm upset Nesta Silvera didn't get an invitation to the Opening because he would've whooped those guys, too. He was tossing people around. Andrew Chatfield is similar to Trent Harris physically but with more upside as a pass rusher. He won almost every rep and competed with intensity.

- It's tough to get a read on the QBs at this kind of event. They have limited reps in a very controlled setting. But Art Sitkowski looks like Andrew Luck out there. Whether he plays like Luck is another story. But the physical and technical similarities are uncanny. Solid athlete, clean release, strong arm, big legs like a running back. Credit to Coach [MENTION=1452]courcy75[/MENTION] for the comparison. The skillset is there and I was surprised he didn't get an Opening invite.

- Delone Scaife was really good. Even better than I expected physically. Very athletic, big but not fat, competed hard. He had some great reps on the edge against Nik Bonito, who is the most athletic pass rusher down here. We got a stud.

- The top WRs looked solid as expected. Although I understand the numbers crunch, we may regret letting [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] favorite Dominick Watt get away. He has college-ready size and he just knows how to play. He was consistently getting open and plucking the ball.

Advertisement
Jobe and Campbell appear to be the top two standouts in the loaded 2018 DB class. Phenomenal talents.

Wish we'd offer Chatfield.

Must keep Jobe no matter what, Campbell will look nice in G&O. With these incoming DB's it will be a "No fly/die zone".

Advertisement
Advertisement
Chatfield doesn't have an offer from FSU or UF yet either according to 247. Need to get on that asap

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No mention of Blades?

Didn't catch his reps. I was only there for the competitive drills and they were all spread out, so I may have missed him or he may have shut it down. He looks the part physically and he's a big personality.

Advertisement
DMoney- What did you see...if you got a chance to see... from Oladele the FSU commit. He's on twitter saying he hates Miami cause the 247 writers were all "miami fans"

Seems like he's made cause he didn't get talked about. Did he underperform or just not stand out during drills.

Love the write up thank you!

Advertisement
DMoney- What did you see...if you got a chance to see... from Oladele the FSU commit. He's on twitter saying he hates Miami cause the 247 writers were all "miami fans"

Seems like he's made cause he didn't get talked about. Did he underperform or just not stand out during drills.

Love the write up thank you!

He also thanked genron for his combine numbers. PASS

Chatfield doesn't have an offer from FSU or UF yet either according to 247. Need to get on that asap

Bump, I agree with D$'s comment on Chatfield. Take kids who can produce. He may not have the frame or ceiling of Jackson, Garvin, or Johnson but he produces at an extremely high level against elite competition. He has a great motor, and his numbers/tape don't lie. At worst he'll be a high quality backup or special teams player, but most importantly he'll strengthen the AH pipeline; definite take IMO.

Last edited:
I been telling y'all cuz can easily end up 6'4" or taller when finishes high school. Kid's from the side of my family where the trees are. Ty's granddad(my great uncle) is an 80 year old man and he's 6'6". He's just starting to grow into his adult body, he's a condor in the secondary.

Bump, I agree with D$'s comment on chatfield. Take kids who can produce. He may not have the frame or upside of Jackson, Garvin, or Johnson but he produces at an extremely high level. Take him, his motor is amazing, and his numbers/tape don't lie. At worst he'll be a high quality backup or special teams player, but most importantly he'll strengthen the AH pipeline.

That AH pipeline is the thing that really pushes Chatfield onto the offer list.

Advertisement
Back