Thoughts From the Bench Press: Bethune

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
It’s a quick turnaround Canes fans so I hope you soaked in the ice baths and hit up your local Deshaun Watson approved massage parlors and you’re ready to get after it tomorrow night

(Side note since when do we play Saturday and then Thursday without a week off? Weird)

Now this week will be a bit different and two concepts I need to discuss, the first being PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD

P.O. is a basic concept but intricate in application. Whether you’re building muscle, burning fat, improving performance etc the key is to come back the next workout stronger, and pushing harder. More work, more volume = more muscles

BUT one key part of your P.O. programming is the more applicable concept which is:

DELOAD

No I’m not talking about what Shannon Dawson did to that poor A&M defensive coordinator, im talking about a specifically designed week during your PO program where you lighten the weight and focus on fixing errors in your technique, work on accessory muscles, and ultimately give your body a break. After hitting a PR last week, our team is in need of a bit of a breather

So here’s some things I’m keying on this week as we get back in the lab in an effort to come back stronger for the looming ACC play

Emory Williams: the heir apparent. If there was an Elite 1 competition, he would have been the 1. The last time Miami has seen the surgical dismantling of a body (Bethune) was on Dexter. I expect TVD to play a couple of series and then give way to Emory for two quarters and bask in his glory

Murdah Inc: In an undisclosed decrepit basement tonight there will be a ritual. Someone from Bethune Cookman will have their jersey number sacrificed in the name of the darkness. Bobby Washington, Marcellius Pullium, Malik Bryant, and Popo Aguirre have been waiting for their moment. The name of the Harbinger will be revealed tomorrow night.

Ray Ray Joseph: zero complaints about our receiver core so far. They’ve been a revelation. But now it’s time for this kid to have his moment. He will score in this game…perhaps multiple times if he plays enough.

Don Chaney: he reminds us why he was such a highly thought of prospect. He is #4 on the depth chart in number only and in this game he will break off multiple big runs. I expect him to have at minimum a 10 YPC average and at least 1 touchdown

Sacks: We will get a lot of em. Many. From many different guys. Depends who plays but we’ve got some young dawgs on the DL and my prediction is Jayden Wayne gets his first career sack.

We are 41 point favorites and the over/under is 56 and this is free Vegas money to hammer both. I’ve seen some speculation that because we will be playing a lot of backups that this game won’t be an absolute bloodbath. I disagree. Our backups are on a completely different level

Good Guys 63
Bethune 3

IMG_0126.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
With that over / under and spread. Vegas expects Bethune to score two touchdowns. No shot that happens.

I’m going under, but won’t touch the spread…I think they have it dead on like usual

45-3 canes

It’s a quick turnaround Canes fans so I hope you soaked in the ice baths and hit up your local Deshaun Watson approved massage parlors and you’re ready to get after it tomorrow night

(Side note since when do we play Saturday and then Thursday with a week off? Weird)

Now this week will be a bit different and two concepts I need to discuss, the first being PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD

P.O. is a basic concept but intricate in application. Whether you’re building muscle, burning fat, improving performance etc the key is to come back the next workout stronger, and pushing harder. More work, more volume = more muscles

BUT one key part of your P.O. programming is the more applicable concept which is:

DELOAD

No I’m not talking about what Shannon Dawson did to that poor A&M defensive coordinator, im talking about a specifically designed week during your PO program where you lighten the weight and focus on fixing errors in your technique, work on accessory muscles, and ultimately give your body a break. After hitting a PR last week, our team is in need of a bit of a breather

So here’s some things I’m keying on this week as we get back in the lab in an effort to come back stronger for the looming ACC play

Emory Williams: the heir apparent. If there was an Elite 1 competition, he would have been the 1. The last time Miami has seen the surgical dismantling of a body (Bethune) was on Dexter. I expect TVD to play a couple of series and then give way to Emory for two quarters and bask in his glory

Murdah Inc: In an undisclosed decrepit basement tonight there will be a ritual. Someone from Bethune Cookman will have their jersey number sacrificed in the name of the darkness. Bobby Washington, Marcellius Pullium, Malik Bryant, and Popo Aguirre have been waiting for their moment. The name of the Harbinger will be revealed tomorrow night.

Ray Ray Joseph: zero complaints about our receiver core so far. They’ve been a revelation. But now it’s time for this kid to have his moment. He will score in this game…perhaps multiple times if he plays enough.

Don Chaney: he reminds us why he was such a highly thought of prospect. He is #4 on the depth chart in number only and in this game he will break off multiple big runs. I expect him to have at minimum a 10 YPC average and at least 1 touchdown

Sacks: We will get a lot of em. Many. From many different guys. Depends who plays but we’ve got some young dawgs on the DL and my prediction is Jayden Wayne gets his first career sack.

We are 41 point favorites and the over/under is 56 and this is free Vegas money to hammer both. I’ve seen some speculation that because we will be playing a lot of backups that this game won’t be an absolute bloodbath. I disagree. Our backups are on a completely different level

Good Guys 63
Bethune 3

View attachment 256532
Great work on these, brother. Keep posting these, they're awesome.

Advertisement
Do you actually lift or are you one of those guys on your phone thinking about bench pressing? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Love the lifting analogies. DELOAD week it is!
Tbh I don’t bench very often since at my age it’s really not very helpful. My favorite chest exercise is incline dumbbells

The first week I did this I was actually benching and now for superstitious purposes I gotta keep it going

But yeah I don’t use my phone at the gym. The gym is a bit of an escape for me since I run my own businesses from my phone and need to unplug every day so to speak

Love these. I need to get back in the gym. Getting soft in my old age.
I appreciate ya brother. I’m 43 not a freak of nature roided up freak of nature so these posts can be a tiny bit of schtick haha

But I’m at the gym every day doing something and have been for a long time. It’s just great for my mental health probably more than the physical. Hit me up if you need any help or have questions, I cover content like this every day on my social media pages

With that over / under and spread. Vegas expects Bethune to score two touchdowns. No shot that happens.

I’m going under, but won’t touch the spread…I think they have it dead on like usual

45-3 canes
I agree the O/U will be all on us but with our backups I think we score 56 easily. We are just too big and physical even on the second team

Advertisement
My guess is a guy like Arroyo will be held out cuz why risk him whatsoever against an hbcu team. Obviously Kam won't play and I'm pretty sure Mesidor will be out a few games based on Cribby's Intel. Maybe Fletcher sits out too. I would give McCormick a few series max and let Skinner & Riley hold down TE spot. I'd still give starting o line the first half, let them keep gelling like Magellan.

Advertisement
My guess is a guy like Arroyo will be held out cuz why risk him whatsoever against an hbcu team. Obviously Kam won't play and I'm pretty sure Mesidor will be out a few games based on Cribby's Intel. Maybe Fletcher sits out too. I would give McCormick a few series max and let Skinner & Riley hold down TE spot. I'd still give starting o line the first half, let them keep gelling like Magellan.
Can’t wait to see Okunlola and McCoy out there wrecking people

Advertisement
Back