Thomas Gore portal

Idkkkk man I think that may be a little revisionist history. I recall some posts saying how much the staff LOVED Gore and that he would contribute.

If only playing vs FAMU and when the rest of the dline is decimated is considered contributing, then I stand corrected. To me it's not, but that term is subjective.
I think the expectation was always that he would be the fourth DT, at best, behind Taylor, Deen and JHH.

That’s pretty much what he was. Taking Gore is the product of bad DT recruiting before Mario and during his first couple years.

Advertisement
Are we just making bad transfer evals?
those guys were just grabs for depth if anything happens. Its CIS that hyped those scrubs up, when the roster was built together by Manny's bum *** play doh style recruiting tactics thats what happens. You dont expect those early ones to get alot of playing time but recruiting is a 3 year thing now. Now u start seeing those 3 year relationships and top 3-5 classes yearly on a regular basis now. Dudes be getting geeked when a 4 foot 3 defensive tackle can lift a tank but then cant create any pressures on a qb lol.

He is gonna play a ton and get targets at critical times with drops isnt he??

Sad No Way GIF by Tennis TV

In your miserable existence, yes.

Advertisement
I assume this means we’ve landed a DT
Not a bad prediction but I would have assumed Gore was going to get pushed out anyway. But I love the timing. On the night after the "closing dinner" where most recruits apparently give the staff their commitment...a DT hits the portal.

I don’t remember who else was in the portal at the time.

But I do know unless it is a rare athlete, you don’t bring in 6’0 270lb tackles at the P4 level.

But this is the point.

If you can't list all of the "measurable" DTs that were interested in Miami that we turned away...then you are effectively advocating for us to take nobody, and to have no depth for practices or the regular season.

This is the game that most dopey porsters play (not saying you, but there are plenty who do this)...

"If Portal Recruit X isn't a starter, then why are we using a scholarship?"

This isn't the 1980s any longer. We can't stash 85 guys who are afraid to lose a year if they transfer. 22 guys start. So if HS recruits don't want to be our "depth" for a year or two, then we are going to have to recruit "depth" from the Portal too.

Maybe some people prefer a Laranaga-style "hold some scholarships in reserve" approach to football roster management...

Advertisement
It can take up to 48 hours for the paperwork to be processed

This, I’m hopeful more DTs were not aware went in and we find out in next day or two. Hopefully we tampered with someone to go in at last minute.

Each of these threads about a player signed and since transferred is always the same:

- great eval at the time BUT no longer good and this was expected

I don’t even care about Gore he was extremely tiny on the field but these evals also need to be evaluated because we seem to be missing on many. And for the HS kids who are gone early like a Wayne/Pulliam those were supposed to be great evals that we were going to develop into stud players. Now it’s the next wave of is a stud eval and will be a stud plauer.

Advertisement
But this is the point.

If you can't list all of the "measurable" DTs that were interested in Miami that we turned away...then you are effectively advocating for us to take nobody, and to have no depth for practices or the regular season.

This is the game that most dopey porsters play (not saying you, but there are plenty who do this)...

"If Portal Recruit X isn't a starter, then why are we using a scholarship?"

This isn't the 1980s any longer. We can't stash 85 guys who are afraid to lose a year if they transfer. 22 guys start. So if HS recruits don't want to be our "depth" for a year or two, then we are going to have to recruit "depth" from the Portal too.

Maybe some people prefer a Laranaga-style "hold some scholarships in reserve" approach to football roster management...

I would’ve rather had nobody at DT than burned a scholarship on Gore.

I also don’t believe that the full list of players is published or reported. So, I have no clue who on the list was bigger than a High School DT.

Advertisement
For our D-line, thus far we have 5 returnees from the 2023 roster and 11 additions.

Returnees
Campbell, Moten, Horton, Mesidor, Bain

Additions
Cook, Clark, Alston, Blount, Russell, Jones, Scott, Lightfoot, McConathy, Rudolph, Pickett

Who else was available that we missed out on at the same time? 6'6", 330 and available isn't easy to find.
The one I recall is the Kentucky DT that went to Auburn I believe.

However. I'm not sure the circumstances, but not sure he did much at auburn.

Edit: seems like he was hurt. But still ended up getting drafted.

Advertisement
Back