Thomas Gore portal

Advertisement
I don’t remember who else was in the portal at the time.

But I do know unless it is a rare athlete, you don’t bring in 6’0 270lb tackles at the P4 level.
I completely agree with you. I never thought I would see a DT on our roster smaller me (pause?). The only slight push back is that I don't think there was anyone else available. The fact that he played a fair amount for us ought to shed light on just how incredibly bereft of talent Manny left us at that position. Please Sweet Baby Jesus don't let us get into that position again.

I would’ve rather had nobody at DT than burned a scholarship on Gore.

I also don’t believe that the full list of players is published or reported. So, I have no clue who on the list was bigger than a High School DT.

Again, nothing personal, but it's pretty bold talk (that you don't have to back up) to say you would have left an empty roster spot instead of taking Gore.

The full list of players is not published or reported? Nonsense. There is a full list of Portal entries (each year) on 247.

So, again, I issue the challenge to all of the tuff-talkers who think that taking Gore set our program back by several years. WHO was interested in Miami that we coulda/woulda/shoulda taken?

We backchannel like fiends. So if someone really wanted to come to UM, we would have known it. Gore certainly wasn't a "superior eval" to anyone else.

Let's hear the other candidates. Because I haven't heard ONE NAME at DT that we "lost" over taking Gore. And, again, I'm NOT DEFENDING HIM, I'm just trying to figure out why some of the snowflakes on this board are so triggered by his name.

I'm fine with taking better players. I wish we had a better DT over the past 18 months than Gore. BUT WHO?

The one I recall is the Kentucky DT that went to Auburn I believe.

However. I'm not sure the circumstances, but not sure he did much at auburn.

Edit: seems like he was hurt. But still ended up getting drafted.

Ok, that's one. How many else? We aren't going to win them all.

As an aside, I'm fairly sure you already know what I typed above and I was not trying to be snarky with you even a little.

Advertisement
The one I recall is the Kentucky DT that went to Auburn I believe.

However. I'm not sure the circumstances, but not sure he did much at auburn.

Edit: seems like he was hurt. But still ended up getting drafted.

The kid that went to UF too from Memphis.

Again, nothing personal, but it's pretty bold talk (that you don't have to back up) to say you would have left an empty roster spot instead of taking Gore.

The full list of players is not published or reported? Nonsense. There is a full list of Portal entries (each year) on 247.

So, again, I issue the challenge to all of the tuff-talkers who think that taking Gore set our program back by several years. WHO was interested in Miami that we coulda/woulda/shoulda taken?

We backchannel like fiends. So if someone really wanted to come to UM, we would have known it. Gore certainly wasn't a "superior eval" to anyone else.

Let's hear the other candidates. Because I haven't heard ONE NAME at DT that we "lost" over taking Gore. And, again, I'm NOT DEFENDING HIM, I'm just trying to figure out why some of the snowflakes on this board are so triggered by his name.

I'm fine with taking better players. I wish we had a better DT over the past 18 months than Gore. BUT WHO?
The only name anyone replied with was Justin Rogers who transferred to Auburn and then was drafted. I have 0 idea how much, if any, interest he had in Miami.

I completely agree with the premise of your take. If we passed on several guys who were 6'4" and 310+ to take Gore, shame on us, but that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can see. We needed a body. We got one.

Ok, that's one. How many else? We aren't going to win them all.

As an aside, I'm fairly sure you already know what I typed above and I was not trying to be snarky with you even a little.
M'ba was another someone else mentioned.

P.s. I just jumped in to answer the question you posted. I have no idea if you were fighting with someone or trying to prove a point. I didn't follow the whole thread, I only answered the question lol.

The only name anyone replied with was Justin Rogers who transferred to Auburn and then was drafted. I have 0 idea how much, if any, interest he had in Miami.

I completely agree with the premise of your take. If we passed on several guys who were 6'4" and 310+ to take Gore, shame on us, but that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can see. We needed a body. We got one.
Ok I think I'm picking up on the convo now.

I don't think anybody (aside from ghandi) is saying we should've taken nobody instead of gore. We all understand Mario tries to get the best talent.

HOWEVER; the information and propaganda being spread when we got him and after practices was that the staff LOVED Gore and he was going to contribute. The storyline was never "we need a body and this was the best we can get" (when that was obvious to many).

I think the storyline is the frustrating part. People should be objective, not try to sunshine pump every single take.

Advertisement
All jokes aside there’s gotta be some loophole in the college rule books about a kid like this

Some sort of honorary Van Wilder scholarship that doesn’t count against the football team

Just give him a graduate student academic scholarship, round it off with some NIL and keep him on roster as a PWO.

I don’t remember who else was in the portal at the time.

But I do know unless it is a rare athlete, you don’t bring in 6’0 270lb tackles at the P4 level.

We f-ed up by spending all the off-season replacing Gattass, Steele and Strong. There weren't any talented DTs by the time Mario really focused on the Portal. Same thing happened in 2022.

This portal season should have been different. I realize we already got Clark and Cook. But if you know you're losing LT and Deen, and suspect you're losing JHH, then that's just not enough. They should have been doing whatever it took during holiday until today to find another 2 playoff caliber DTs, ideally one NT and one 3-tech. Being so desperately dependent on Barrow and not having another in the back pocket is a failure point.

p.s., don't get me wrong, I like what we're doing elsewhere in the portal. I'm just not happy with the DT situation AT ALL, at this moment in time.

Advertisement

Yes. That's all I'm really getting at. I'm not going to be mad at Gore for ACCEPTING an offer from Miami, but I'm **** sure disappointed that we (a) did not have a bunch of DTs when Mario got here and (b) did not have a lot of interest from transfers over the past couple of years.

I don't think anybody (aside from ghandi) is saying we should've taken nobody instead of gore. We all understand Mario tries to get the best talent.

HOWEVER; the information and propaganda being spread when we got him and after practices was that the staff LOVED Gore and he was going to contribute. The storyline was never "we need a body and this was the best we can get" (when that was obvious to many).

I think the storyline is the frustrating part. People should be objective, not try to sunshine pump every single take.

I think there can be a reasonable analysis of this, though.

When a transfer first arrives, he is healthy and energetic. He is happy for the fresh start. He may be very responsive to coaching. I'm not sure why people think that first impressions are some sort of "propaganda" campaign.

Over time, other issues may arise. A transfer who fought with his position coach might pick a fight with an offensive lineman. The "bad habits" from the old place may resurface. A player may begin to have issues with coaches or scheme or teammates.

In the case of Gore, he was also small for his position. It happens.

But I'm not sure why so many people feel the need for extreme hot takes. It's possible both to see the potential and then to uncover the reality shortly thereafter. You do not have NEARLY the same amount of time to evaluate the intangibles and personality traits of Portal players.

Gore didn't work out. Move on. Let's not create bizarre hypotheticals and fantasize about all the other players we coulda/woulda/shoulda taken who were not even interested in UM.

People like to pretend that Portal players are "recruited" the same way that HS players are, when many of the Portal guys are already 80-90% certain of where they will land.

Question. Are Horton and Morten considered dead weight at this point?

Advertisement
Question. Are Horton and Morten considered dead weight at this point?
Personally no on Horton. Only entering his second year after a redshirt, but would like to see something from him this year.

Moten…I mean it’s year 3. It’s time to put up or move on. If he can’t crack the two deep in the fall, he’s dead weight.

Well, maybe they did love him at the time because they were starving and as Eddie Murphy once said “if you’re starving, somebody gives you a cracker you’re like that’s the best **** cracker I’ve ever had”

Now they’re no longer starving and if you’re eating at prime all the time, crackers are what you put in your appetizer soup. You just get rid of them quickly.
Surprised Eddie Murphy GIF

Personally no on Horton. Only entering his second year after a redshirt, but would like to see something from him this year.

Moten…I mean it’s year 3. It’s time to put up or move on. If he can’t crack the two deep in the fall, he’s dead weight.
If he can't crack the current two deep we may need a mirror to make sure he's not actually be dead

Advertisement
Back