Thomas Davis Commits!!!!

Teams like Virginia Tech and Auburn feast on edge rushers like this. Little undersized, maybe not the best all around athlete, but tenacious and just get after the QB. Good call.
I actually see a lot of Dee Ford in him. Similar size/frame and wasn’t a highly touted guy even though he popped on tape.

Advertisement
Teams like Virginia Tech and Auburn feast on edge rushers like this. Little undersized, maybe not the best all around athlete, but tenacious and just get after the QB. Good call.

looks like an elite athlete to me. Can someone post his numbers again? Wasnt 1 of his tests better then any DE in the combine last year?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dont worry about what Clemson is doing. Bama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State and USC have all averaged better classes over the 5 years than Clemson. Last I checked, only 1 of those schools has won a championship since 2015. Dabo's crew is pretty good at player evals so they don't have to be #1. Diaz seems to be following suit. Worth noting that Dabos has never had a 3 star turn into a top 10 pick, while Miami is about to do that with Rosseau. So Diaz's team is showing it knows what it is doing. 3 stars B. Smith, T. Davis , and Rodriguez are the perfect examples. Dont need to get to Clemson's level. Miami needs to keep finding those 3 star gems. Does is it look as good in the rankings? No. Will it get us closer to winning championships? Absolutely. Sprinkle in some 5 stars along with underrated 3 and 4 stars, and you got yourself a stew.

Uh, Clemson has had as high an average player ranking as any school in the country for many years. They are also in the top 10 yearly, with much smaller classes due to them not having high turnover and getting players to stay.

Isaiah Simmons also was a 3* recruit that went top 10 this past year.

We don't have to jump to their level right away, we couldn't a any way. We have to build up to their level like they did.

Uh, Clemson has had as high an average player ranking as any school in the country for many years. They are also in the top 10 yearly, with much smaller classes due to them not having high turnover and getting players to stay.

We don't have to jump to their level right away, we couldn't a any way. We have to build up to their level like they did.
1595892482274.png

Dabo had his crap years too.

Advertisement

Clemson did a whole lot of winning before they got to their insane recruiting level though. Their average class when they won their 1st NC was 11, and they were a very good team for several years leading up to that.

UNC and FSU are the teams that are more relevant than us. UNC is building an impressive roster and is the only team that can compete with us talent-wise in the Coastal. FSU is FSU, and we need to keep beating them

We had someone claim that Bama, OSU, Georgia, TX, and USC all recruit better than Clemson. That's not true if you go by what's important, average player ranking. There isn't a bonus for having a bigger class, which I explained above as to why their classes are smaller. Some people don't seem to get this. I don't care what our class ranking is, I care about player average. Sure the average can be off, but there is a direct correlation to top player ratings and the top teams.

We also had a comment that Dabo hadn't turned any 3 stars into top 10 picks. He has, just this past year and maybe in the past, I'm not checking. Most coaches haven't turned 3 stars into top picks. Clemson has had no problem developing talent, no idea why we need some weird *** qualifier. Anyone doubting Dabo is insane.

Clemson also had to build their team up. We will have to build up our team as well. Simple to understand, but let's make something more of it.

Advertisement
Thanks for the thoughts, Lance. He's an interesting dude to take, for sure. Normally, you'd like to go after the 6-4, 220 Chantz Williams type of frames. As for Davis, do we know what his speed is? I am ok with a 6-0/6-1 DE IF he is very strong, has great bend and an unreal first step and explosiveness. Jerome McDougle was the last guy around here that fit that profile - hoping Davis can be that guy. FSU has made a living by fielding those undersized 6-1, 260 pound DEs that were absolute beasts coming off the edge. Hoping Davis can be that guy.

For whatever reason, our staff has liked him for a long time and it also helps that his team has a big time QB recruit in next year's cycle.
Frame talk and prototype stuff is fun and all. But some of the nastiest pass rushers in college football history were shorter guys like Davis. Sometimes, it can be less about height and weight and more about speed, explosion, heart, anger, violence, motor, etc.

Advertisement
Back