Thomas Brown on the future of Miami Hurricanes’ offense

Just rampant stupidity in this thread.

So people are having our 3-star backups transfer, or leave for other schools, or prematurely enter the draft, as if we have a conveyor belt of running backs ... and injuries, suspensions, screwups and other unplanned events don't happen.

Brains as soft as mush in this group.

Go to the Bama boards, where instead of 3-stars, they have 4-5 stars in the 3-deep or deeper, and get them to transfer out or otherwise leave while you're at it.

Just stupid.

I think it was pretty clear from that quote that Brown doesn't view Gray as a real contributor. The fact that they have to "stay on him" is not a ringing endorsement. If he wants to play, it likely won't be here. Which is why it is reasonable to think he will transfer.

And send Yearby packing, too.

While we're at it, let's move Homer to CB.

The retardation on this thread is severe.

Like I said, brain-dead morons on here acting like we have a conveyor belt of running backs, all full of 4-5 star players.

Right now, we have maybe one very good back and possibly 2 average or above average backs and one untested freshman.

Also like I said before, let's hop onto the Alabama message boards and tell them to have their 4-deep five stars transfer or leave

You are really f*cking stupid, you know that? We are going to have seven running backs on the team next year if Yearby stays and we get the two commits that Coach Brown wants. If Gray stays at running back, he would most likely not see the field at all next year, except on special teams. He needs to either transfer if he is dead set on playing running back, or move to LB in the spring.

Can't fix your profoundly retarded state. Go back to your minimum wage job and focus on that, you clearly can't keep up here.

Advertisement
I hope a lot of you are never in a position to advise someone on life decisions. Drop out of college with a semester to a year left where you are going to have a degree from an expensive private school and are currently getting it for free? For a chance at hopefully latching on to a NFL team? What happens when he doesn't latch on? Are you going to help pay for the difference in jobs from what he could of had with his degree vs what he can now get?

I am not sure what his degree is in but the money you are talking about for practice squad should be within reach.

I hope a lot of you are never in a position to advise someone on life decisions. Drop out of college with a semester to a year left where you are going to have a degree from an expensive private school and are currently getting it for free? For a chance at hopefully latching on to a NFL team? What happens when he doesn't latch on? Are you going to help pay for the difference in jobs from what he could of had with his degree vs what he can now get?

I am not sure what his degree is in but the money you are talking about for practice squad should be within reach.

He can come back and get his degree for free. So if the nfl doesnt work out he can come finish that degree free of charge.

Yearby getting drafted?

Source: the Brad Kaaya hype squad

Even if he doesn't get drafted signing as an UDFA is probably the better choice. He has way more on the line to lose than he does to gain

No he doesn't. His future is his degree. There's a lot of running backs that can do what he can. If he left early, he would be jobless in a few months most likely, and while he can come back for his degree....he'd have to do it without free room and board as well as tuition. Talk about a burden, it would be much higher than it is now.

UDFA's rarely make the team. ****, some draft picks don't. He gets injured as an UDFA, he's doubly screwed. Get your diploma, go from there.

Jesus, people really get worked up on the stupid sauce after a win against a crap opponent.

That degree isnt important right now. Why wouldnt he chase the nfl and all that first? If he gets injured or whatever he can fall back on getting his degree just like kenny phillips is doing.

The degree is free right now, in a few years it'll cost him $50K a year to finish up.

Nope. If im not mistaken miami allows players to return and get their degree when they choose. I think donna started that.

Just rampant stupidity in this thread.

So people are having our 3-star backups transfer, or leave for other schools, or prematurely enter the draft, as if we have a conveyor belt of running backs ... and injuries, suspensions, screwups and other unplanned events don't happen.

Brains as soft as mush in this group.

Go to the Bama boards, where instead of 3-stars, they have 4-5 stars in the 3-deep or deeper, and get them to transfer out or otherwise leave while you're at it.

Just stupid.

I think it was pretty clear from that quote that Brown doesn't view Gray as a real contributor. The fact that they have to "stay on him" is not a ringing endorsement. If he wants to play, it likely won't be here. Which is why it is reasonable to think he will transfer.

And send Yearby packing, too.

While we're at it, let's move Homer to CB.

The retardation on this thread is severe.

Like I said, brain-dead morons on here acting like we have a conveyor belt of running backs, all full of 4-5 star players.

Right now, we have maybe one very good back and possibly 2 average or above average backs and one untested freshman.

Also like I said before, let's hop onto the Alabama message boards and tell them to have their 4-deep five stars transfer or leave

Yearby has a **** family. The dude has 2 kids to feed. His draft stock is not changing if he comes back. If they tell him he is projected to go 4th-5th round he should go because he will never be drafted higher than that.

As far as homer thats fans with the crazy talk of him playing cb because how he plays on special teams.

Advertisement
Even if he doesn't get drafted signing as an UDFA is probably the better choice. He has way more on the line to lose than he does to gain

No he doesn't. His future is his degree. There's a lot of running backs that can do what he can. If he left early, he would be jobless in a few months most likely, and while he can come back for his degree....he'd have to do it without free room and board as well as tuition. Talk about a burden, it would be much higher than it is now.

UDFA's rarely make the team. ****, some draft picks don't. He gets injured as an UDFA, he's doubly screwed. Get your diploma, go from there.

Jesus, people really get worked up on the stupid sauce after a win against a crap opponent.

That degree isnt important right now. Why wouldnt he chase the nfl and all that first? If he gets injured or whatever he can fall back on getting his degree just like kenny phillips is doing.

The degree is free right now, in a few years it'll cost him $50K a year to finish up.

Nope. If im not mistaken miami allows players to return and get their degree when they choose. I think donna started that.

That can't be right, donna never did anything that wasn't meant to tear down the team.

He can come back and get his degree for free. So if the nfl doesnt work out he can come finish that degree free of charge.

I'm guessing his family is being taken care of right now or how else is he in school since he doesn't have an income.

He leaves, fails, and then comes back to finish his degree. It could be a while before that happens as he won't have free room and board with additional responsibilities.. He will presumably be working which is an added stress when he's trying to do threee things....degree, family time, and making money.

As Pantera said,some of you are giving possibly the dumbest advice I've seen in recent years on here. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, his future is his degree.

Would he get free room, board, and food as well?

He's a local kid.

Advertisement

Wouldn't even need it because he was at home a couple summers ago for his kids while attending school. The 50k I threw at you for practice squad is relatively low. Stephen Morris makes 15k a week. Probably fair to say a RB would get 5k a week x 17... 85k. I get what you all are saying in all of this, no he's not the best back, he could use his degree, but I'm very confident saying he would make an NFL roster at league minimum.

Actually just looked it up practice squad minimum is 5200 per week. Over 88k a year. Tell me where he's going to make that money out of college with a sports management degree or whatever he's got... with a decent shot at league minimum of over 400k for a rookie. I'm basing my thought process on risk.. there's way more risk for him to come back than potential gain.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Yearby gets drafted if he comes out. He would be a un-drafted free agent most likely.

I would also see if Gray would be interested in playing LB. Kid is 6'1 and about 230. Would prob be our fastest backer right away.

I disagree with Brown's wording - I'd say it's a "crowded" backfield next year, but not a "loaded" backfield.

Soooo many things can change between now and next year - but I'd predict:

No one goes pro - Walton, Yearby, Gus are NFL RB's the same way Jarrett Payton/Damien Berry/Javarris James/Mike James were - they might make a team for a couple years, but they're not going to make any significant impact in the NFL. They'll get more from their college degrees than from NFL paychecks.

Walton stays entrenched as the starter
- This staff has shown all year they're sticking with Walton as their guy, so I don't see how that changing next year. I'm sure Yearby and Gus are looking at Walton thinking they're better right now (and I'd agree), so their lack of carries must be frustrating. I think Yearby stays but wouldn't be surprised if Gus transfers.

Gray & Homer - I've always wanted Gray at WR, and would be surprised if he stays at RB. Homer I haven't seen enough to make a call. I hope he at least gets a shot at RB in Spring to see what he has before any position change. Both of them are in the "they're better athletes, but are they better RB's?" category

Burns & McFarland - I hope we're not putting all our eggs in this basket. I'm not a fan of Burns. McFarland isn't a guarantee to even sign here, so I hope we get involved with recruiting other RB's. I think McFarland can be good, but his talent level is not as good as what his rating suggests.

Last edited:
Advertisement
lol at having Gray change positions as a 4th year junior. I suppose it can happen but the odds of him getting on the field are slim to none. What has surprised me about Gray is his inability to see the field even on STs!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you have to take into account Yearby's family situation. I think he has two kids already. I'm sure he knows there's a high likelihood he won't get drafted, but just as high of a chance that he'll at least make a practice squad, if not a full 52 in some capacity as an UFA. In either of the scenarioes, he'll at least be getting a check to support his family, which is more than what he has coming in now, which is zilch.

Some team will take a chance on Yearby. Too smart of a football player with just enough skill to do it all a RB.

I second Gray to LB. Problem is, he'd be only used in rush situations. Teams will catch on quickly. He'd be a potential beast tho with that speed.

Advertisement
Yearby won't get drafted. He has a slight chance of being picked up as a free agent and maybe playing on a practice squad for a year or two. He's not going anywhere. He'll be a reserve running back again next season, finish his degree and apply for the draft.

I don't see him getting drafted, but if he can come back and get the degree without paying 50k, then I could see him leaving to at least try to make a little money from the NFL for a couple of years.

lol at having Gray change positions as a 4th year junior. I suppose it can happen but the odds of him getting on the field are slim to none. What has surprised me about Gray is his inability to see the field even on STs!

Guys change positions late in their college career all the time. You usually never hear much about it because it's often a player getting no playing time at one position switching to another position just hoping to see the field. Look at Dobard playing DE as a senior after four years of playing TE.

Advertisement
Back