This Team's a Big Disappointment

I get that all around. That Pack Line D is just another BS term for "let's hack the **** out of the other team and dare the refs to call it" though. There's not any real basketball philosophy to it other than pushing the limits of the rules. You can play good team defense (like we have done playing our "Scramble D" style in the past, not this year) without the crap that UVA trots out there each night.
I don't know that our "scramble D" ever made us a top defensive team. Better than now, for sure!

The Scramble just covered up for lack of ability to play sound man to man defense. Best part of it was it did turn the other team over, something we don't see enough of now. Wong got more than his share of steals all over the court. Guess L feels these guys aren't up to playing it effectively?

Advertisement
I don't know that our "scramble D" ever made us a top defensive team. Better than now, for sure!

The Scramble just covered up for lack of ability to play sound man to man defense. Best part of it was it did turn the other team over, something we don't see enough of now. Wong got more than his share of steals all over the court. Guess L feels these guys aren't up to playing it effectively?
Never said it made us a "top defensive team", just better than this year...that we can agree on.

And yes, Scramble D is just a set of rules for recovering on help defense and that's pretty much it. It's just in the way that Coach L teaches it year to year with each squad...and as you alluded to, I don't think this year we're capable of doing it with the pieces we have. Wong and Miller both were highly active and understood how to play the passing lanes effectively and made that go for us defensively...we miss them both on both ends (but especially on D) more than we can really quantify.

1707530820606.png

Advertisement
No f’ing chance. Wooga doesn’t have enough positives. Cleveland doesn’t seem to elevate anyone.
George perhaps there’s enough upside.
I love Omier and hope he could be a high energy off the bench guy, Montrez Harrell type.

Advertisement
No f’ing chance. Wooga doesn’t have enough positives. Cleveland doesn’t seem to elevate anyone.
George perhaps there’s enough upside.
I love Omier and hope he could be a high energy off the bench guy, Montrez Harrell type.
Omier need to stop playing around and grab a helmet lol

Wooga has been the biggest disappointment in a crowded field. His injuries are affecting him mentally and physically, but he’s also regressed since the season regardless. He’s all but a liability dribbling and now, dare I say, shooting.

Cleveland needs to be Miller. He’s done that maybe in a couple games. He mostly just jump shoots otherwise. That’s not what we need.

Benz is either very good or very bad. I think he’s been too much bad lately.

We lack a true floor leader. It’s certainly not Pack. He’s just too cerebral. We also lack the guy you want the taking that final shot. Last year it was Wong.

On paper this should be a good team. Injuries, team chemistry and unintelligent court play have all taken their toll.

this box score from yesterday is really indicative of the entire reason this season has been a failure vs what we expected on paper.

IMG_9331.jpeg

in 2021-22 we had 3 guys that could really score off the dribble: Moore, Mcgusty, and Wong + young Miler + undervalued versitile big Waard

in 2022-23 we had 4 guys that could literally take over a game: Pack, Wong, Miller, and Omier (and go watch Woogas highlights from last season, made huge shots every week)

Now, we have a hobbled Pack having to create on his own (not his strong suit) and a, fortunately, offensively improved Norchad as our leading scorer. Wooga is shattered. Cleveland is not a plug and play like we all thought. I very much doubt that’s the way L envisioned this team succeeding.

Advertisement
Would love a few of these veteran guys to return and help out bethea next season. Most likely would seem to be Pack, Cleveland and possibly George. Feels like Omier and Wooga are def gone. Scouts will probably still love woogas athleticism and may test out well if healthy...regardless miami has got to get a true starting caliber center and find some actual depth. Doesn't look like they are recruiting a center in 24 either. Dno why they struggle to attract a true big

Advertisement
No question season has been a disappointment up to this point. Team did show some life on Saturday however. They played hard and despite missing George they gave themselves a chance to win the game late. Bench was serviceable. Pack and Omier showed out. Need Wooga to start resembling the guy who was drawing NBA interest earlier this season. Bensley needs to be consistent. When he plays his game (defend 94 feet and attack the paint on offense) he's a very good PG for us. If Matt and George can give us 20-25 ppg between them we're going to be tough to beat down the stretch. If I'm not mistaken all players were at practice today. If we can stay on the healthy side team-wise, there's a chance the team can turn this thing around. I think the magic number is 22 wins. We've got to get to that number before Selection Sunday.

Last edited:
I’m bummed but this happens. Teams with way more talent over the past few years have had similar situations. All that it takes is losing one guy to change a team dynamic or adding a guy that changes it.

L gets a pass from me this year. He’s earned it and I think he would tell you that this year is on everyone from the top down.

To me I think Miller is the piece we miss most and Cleveland just doesn’t seem like a great fit…or maybe just not fitting in. Not saying he isn’t talented. But Miller did so much. Maybe George could have been that guy instead and just let Cleveland play more of the 3…or even the 2 a bit.

I do think it’s time to move on from most of these guys but I’d love to see George and Bethea paired up for 1 season…Nwoku take a step up but add a veteran big to give him one more year where he isn’t relied on to be the main big.

But who knows. Just a bummer based on preseason hope.

Advertisement
Back