This Team's a Big Disappointment

Wooga will workout really well because he can shoot and is super athletic and this will get him drafted late first or early second. I actually think he will be a solid role player in the NBA, provided he can spot up shoot and not actually be asked to handle the ball too much (which is his main weakness). If a guy like Quentin Grimes for the Knicks can get major PT, I don't see why Wooga wouldn't. It would also be better for Wooga to go after this year, because I actually think the more he is asked to do, the more his stock will drop (since he isn't well-equipped to be the focal point for a team) so he isn't someone that would benefit from another year.

The only other player on the roster with NBA potential is George and I think he would absolutely benefit from coming back another year. The issue with him is although he is a freshman he just turned 20 which means he is the age of a typical sophomore, so I am worried he gets rushed into the NBA.
Good point about George's age. That could be a factor.

Advertisement
After last night, I’m seeing parallels to the last year Lykes was here. We lost a lot to the portal after that season was over.

Guys just seem to doing their own thing. Not saying there are locker room issues but the look Ls face during the time out makes me wonder.

After last night, I’m seeing parallels to the last year Lykes was here. We lost a lot to the portal after that season was over.

Guys just seem to doing their own thing. Not saying there are locker room issues but the look Ls face during the time out makes me wonder.

I suppose you can call them locker room issues, but NIL (envy) and NBA-itis(George-talk) probably exacerbate the effect of the significant change from starting 5 to off-the-bench for Bensley (even if warranted.) No one in practice wants to be on the "B" squad, and the chemistry (the other 4) had with him was pretty strong for many reasons; certainly early in the season. When he was ousted to "B" squad in favor of George, besides becoming less than a happy camper, it sure seems like the other 4 now perform mostly like they are feeling "some sort of way" about things. What a mess.

(To be fair to those starters (other than Cleveland) they have ties to BJ from last year that run deep, plus he was all but selected by Coach L as this squad's nbr. 1 PG. No one has really been able to do well in his stead, so the rudderless ship sees shot selection and other offense maneuvers too awful for words at times.)

Tonite, several commented that after his injury, it seemed George could have gone back in, but was seen to mouth to Coach L "nahhh," or something. It was theorized he may have had NBA on his mind for this possible choice; of course we don't know his pain or discomfort. But maybe he just felt unwelcome and said "no thanks" in his head? OK, speculation here, but give me a better explanation?

Last edited:
FSU fans claimed Cleveland was a locker room cancer. Was probably sour grapes and he seems pretty engaged when he’s on the bench.

Pack and Omier are lead by example guys. Wooga I don’t see it from a leadership standpoint and the rest don’t really have much clout otherwise.

Just a really poor culture

I’m convinced that Wooga’s lack of development is what has taken L by surprise the most. He spoke so highly of his jump this off-season. He has failed miserably, hobbled or not.

I’ve watched him for nearly 25 games this season but I’m still blown away by the fact he has no offensive game besides being a spot shooter. Omier has a better handle than him 🤣

Advertisement
FSU fans claimed Cleveland was a locker room cancer. Was probably sour grapes and he seems pretty engaged when he’s on the bench.

Pack and Omier are lead by example guys. Wooga I don’t see it from a leadership standpoint and the rest don’t really have much clout otherwise.

Just a really poor culture

I think Cleveland is a good kid… I don’t think he is a cancer… but coincidence creeps into the mind when you look at FSU last year vs this year and us this year vs last year.

I think the answer is other than Omier (who just produces at such a high level he makes the team better) and maybe George, we don’t have guys who make their teammates better.

Both Wong and Miller made everyone they played with better - in so many ways.

It just doesn’t seem like Cleveland, Poplar, Pack, or Bens really make the guys around them better.

I think Cleveland is a good kid… I don’t think he is a cancer… but coincidence creeps into the mind when you look at FSU last year vs this year and us this year vs last year.

I think the answer is other than Omier (who just produces at such a high level he makes the team better) and maybe George, we don’t have guys who make their teammates better.

Both Wong and Miller made everyone they played with better - in so many ways.

It just doesn’t seem like Cleveland, Poplar, Pack, or Bens really make the guys around them better.
FSU is nominally better than they were last year. I don't think Cleveland leaving had anything to do with it. I keep going back to the decision to replace Wong with Bensley in the starting lineup. It would be one thing if we had found a legitimate stretch big in the protal to play with Omier and then started Cleveland at 3. I never understood why the staff would want to get even smaller while also sacrificing scoring punch.

Pack isn't a point guard and we have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for two consecutive seasons. That said, playing next to a dynamic lead guard freed him up quite a bit last year where he wasn't having to create as much off the dribble as he is this year. The same goes for Wooga. Zay's gravity made life easier for both of those guys whereas no one respects Bensley on the offensive end. You can't play complimentary basketball if the pieces don't fit.

The same goes for Cleveland and Omier. Miller's ability to create out of the post and work along the baseline complimented Omier's game really well. He also raised his 3 point percentage to about 35%, which isn't amazing, but kept defenses honest enough to unclog the paint.

Last edited:
I am not going to call for CJL's head, but our roster needs a complete makeover. We are small, we do not protect the ball, our offense is one-on-one playground crap [has been since CJL arrived], and our scramble defense [which once was a strength] is bad. Turn down the NIT and time to hit the portal and rebuild.

At this point, the only reason the NIT or even the CBI would have us is if they wanted to tout having a participant from the previous year's Final Four in their field.

This team just looks ineffective and uninterested. Injuries, lack of success with expectations so high, possible locker room drama...this is just a lost season.

I would say on to baseball but they look to be as hapless as the basketball team. On to...Spring Football?

Advertisement
FSU is nominally better than they were last year. I don't think Cleveland leaving had anything to do with it. I keep going back to the decision to replace Wong with Bensley in the starting lineup. It would be one thing if we had found a legitimate stretch big in the protal to play with Omier and then started Cleveland at 3. I never understood why the staff would want to get even smaller while also sacrificing scoring punch.

Pack isn't a point guard and we have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for two consecutive seasons. That said, playing next to a dynamic lead guard freed him up quite a bit last year where he wasn't having to create as much off the dribble as he is this year. The same goes for Wooga. Zay's gravity made life easier for both of those guys whereas no one respects Bensley on the offensive end. You can't play complimentary basketball if the pieces don't fit.

The same goes for Cleveland and Omier. Miller's ability to create out of the post and work along the baseline complimented Omier's game really well. He also raised his 3 point percentage to about 35%, which isn't amazing, but kept defenses honest enough to unclog the paint.

I think FSU is more than nominally better… they’re in 5th place halfway through the season with an easier 2nd half schedule remaining.

Having said that… I definitely don’t think Cleveland is a cancer and I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

I also think the team is just plain worn out. Too many minutes for the starters and too much energy is required offensively and (especially) defensively with our lineup and style of play.

We were a legitimately good offensive team to start the year… and we just finished a game with 38 points. Starters are all playing 34+ minutes per game and they’re just plain spent... at least imho.

I also think the team is just plain worn out. Too many minutes for the starters and too much energy is required offensively and (especially) defensively with our lineup and style of play.

We were a legitimately good offensive team to start the year… and we just finished a game with 38 points. Starters are all playing 34+ minutes per game and they’re just plain spent... at least imho.
Agree with all of that...and even when we've tried to play depth, it's been largely ineffective...Jakai should probably go elsewhere if he's ever gonna log any kind of minutes in college. Nwoko/Djobet have been promising in flashes but nothing spectacular. Christian Watson is just woefully average, and for the hype AJ Casey came to Miami with he's been nothing short of disappointing other than a game or 2.

The only guys I wouldn't completely give up on are Nwoko/Djobet. I'd pretty much tell Jakai he needs to find shelter elsewhere and thank him for his service...he's done. I'd give Watson/Casey part of the offseason to work their butts off and show me they deserve to stay otherwise I'd recruit over them either via HS kids or the Portal at worst...those 2 are definitely down to their last chance in this program IMO.

As for returning guys, I hope George does return. Tons of potential there and he's just gonna get better. If he declared for the draft it wouldn't surprise me to see him stick somewhere on a roster as he develops his game and his body. Nwoko/Djobet of course should be back. Nwoko might portal...just a hunch.

Omier/Pack are listed as 4th Year Juniors on the roster. Wonder if either of them would apply for a 5th season or if they have a Covid year left? Of the two, Omier would be OK to jump, but I dunno if he's any more draftable than the 2nd round if at all at this point. Pack is undraftable at this point. If either can get 1 more year of eligibility, so be it.

Cleveland/Joseph/Poplar are all Juniors and ought to return. Wouldn't shock me to see Poplar or Joseph transfer...I think they both stay, but if one of them hopped in the portal I wouldn't be shocked.

The massive holes in the roster are at Sophomore with Casey/Watson/Jakai. That's pretty much becoming a whiff of a class there and 1/4 of your roster...that's REALLY ******* BAD. Portal has to hit to fill the roles that they couldn't.

So incoming - Bethea/Swartz/Johnson-Arigu plus Portal. Out of those only Bethea/Swartz might be game ready and they play the same spot. Don't see Johnson-Arigu being ready out of HS to play minutes as a FR. Assuming Omier/Pack are gone, and other possible attrition...I could see us going into the portal to get 3-4 capable bodies...which is a LOT. Big job ahead for Coach L and his staff to get this roster turned over/revamped ASAP.

As for returning guys, I hope George does return. Tons of potential there and he's just gonna get better.
If some of the other "current starters" (and Joseph) stay another year, I'm not as fearful of losing great potential George to the draft as much as to the portal. There's a chemistry (and maybe coaching) thing seems to be going on, and he can demand very high NIL and a Power-5 starting role in many a town. Hope he stays, and also hope I am wrong (about the drama.)

I’m convinced that Wooga’s lack of development is what has taken L by surprise the most. He spoke so highly of his jump this off-season. He has failed miserably, hobbled or not.

I’ve watched him for nearly 25 games this season but I’m still blown away by the fact he has no offensive game besides being a spot shooter. Omier has a better handle than him 🤣
He was "developing" fine until the North Fla game when he rolled an ankle. Since then, not the same player. I have no way of knowing whether the injury is still hurting his game, or it's a mental thing trying to not re-injure himself.

Advertisement
Anyone notice (how could u not) how those UVA defenders of our perimeter jump shooters were always right up in the chest of our guys. How you hold a team averaging 81 ppg to 38. What a defensive clinic!

If some of the other "current starters" (and Joseph) stay another year, I'm not as fearful of losing great potential George to the draft as much as to the portal. There's a chemistry (and maybe coaching) thing seems to be going on, and he can demand very high NIL and a Power-5 starting role in many a town. Hope he stays, and also hope I am wrong (about the drama.)
I agree with that as well. I didn't mention portal w/him because I do think he'd more likely chase the NBA as an international kid versus hopping to another school since he was already thinking draft as an option before he came stateside.

He was "developing" fine until the North Fla game when he rolled an ankle. Since then, not the same player. I have no way of knowing whether the injury is still hurting his game, or it's a mental thing trying to not re-injure himself.
Exactly. You play differently (as he’s doing).

How many dunks has Wooga done in the last month?

Advertisement
Anyone notice (how could u not) how those UVA defenders of our perimeter jump shooters were always right up in the chest of our guys. How you hold a team averaging 81 ppg to 38. What a defensive clinic!
UVA plays defense under Bennett so physical and rough that it basically dictates what the refs are willing to call. Do you call everything a foul or nothing a foul? Well, if you call all fouls then that's gonna work against UVA and they'll foul out 4-5 kids a game. Refs don't wanna do that...they'll default to not blowing the whistle on "aggressive defense" and have an excuse for letting an MMA match break out instead.

And when you've gotten the rep as UVA as a "tough defensive team", refs tend to blow whistles less because of that bias. They'll never admit it, but they do. And it's all manipulation due to the approach Bennett takes with his defensive gameplan. It basically dares the refs to call it straight up, but they'll give that tough defensive team the benefit of the doubt.

It's cheap for D1 basketball IMO, but it's also a brilliant equalizer for UVA when they have inferior rosters to other teams.

UVA plays defense under Bennett so physical and rough that it basically dictates what the refs are willing to call. Do you call everything a foul or nothing a foul? Well, if you call all fouls then that's gonna work against UVA and they'll foul out 4-5 kids a game. Refs don't wanna do that...they'll default to not blowing the whistle on "aggressive defense" and have an excuse for letting an MMA match break out instead.

And when you've gotten the rep as UVA as a "tough defensive team", refs tend to blow whistles less because of that bias. They'll never admit it, but they do. And it's all manipulation due to the approach Bennett takes with his defensive gameplan. It basically dares the refs to call it straight up, but they'll give that tough defensive team the benefit of the doubt.

It's cheap for D1 basketball IMO, but it's also a brilliant equalizer for UVA when they have inferior rosters to other teams.
I think what you say is part of the reason for UVA's success. The other part is he teaches that Pack Line and aggressive harassment on the perimeter very well, and his players fully buy into it. They know that if they don't, they are not playing!

What's the consequence for any UM player just going through the motions on defense? Nothing, as far as I can see.

I think what you say is part of the reason for UVA's success. The other part is he teaches that Pack Line and aggressive harassment on the perimeter very well, and his players fully buy into it. They know that if they don't, they are not playing!

What's the consequence for any UM player just going through the motions on defense? Nothing, as far as I can see.
I get that all around. That Pack Line D is just another BS term for "let's hack the **** out of the other team and dare the refs to call it" though. There's not any real basketball philosophy to it other than pushing the limits of the rules. You can play good team defense (like we have done playing our "Scramble D" style in the past, not this year) without the crap that UVA trots out there each night.

Advertisement
Back