This Team's a Big Disappointment

At this point, just rest guys until the acc tournament. No more playing starters 37 minutes a game. Especially ones that are banged up. Play guys that are at least trying in the meantime.

We aren’t making the ncaa tournament unless we win the acc. Banged up, this team probably is out in round two of the nit.

Advertisement
Told you all to put it to bed for 24 when I was at the UVA game a couple weeks back…this is not a team but a group of individuals going through the motions.
It’s just a shame. I love Pack but he isn’t a true creator and lacks the ability to take his defender to the rim for easy buckets.

Did they even mention Cleveland’s name yesterday?? It seems like George is the only one with the explosion to make plays 1 on 1. Wooga and Ben seem completely off there game.

Defensively there is no consistency with effort, technique, rebounding, and L’s is not able to switch defenses with any fluidity. We are absolutely horrible playing off screens. The effort isn’t there whether we try and run through the screen, trap, or switch.

Advertisement
Big Fail... on the coaches first. Thn the players

I couldn't agree more.

I'm realizing what Charlie and Wong brought to the team over the last two years. The ability to create for themselves and others is missing this year. Pack might have been the PG on paper last year, but Wong was running the show.

This year, we have three guys basically fighting on the court to be the PG, which, in turn, makes us very predictable. The team is excellent in transition because they have the green light. The half-court offense is a hot mess. There is little to no cutting or movement. Once Nigel, Bens, and George are on the court, the offense bogs down into the man with the ball with 10 seconds left, makes a move, and shoots a contested shot. The guys look hurt and tired while having to play 30-35 minutes a game. The guys coming off the bench look like they have been instructed not to look for their shot. Yet they are expected to score and produce when they only play 2-7 mins a game.

This years team clearly hasn't meshed it's been such a disappointment. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the off-season.

Wooga will workout really well because he can shoot and is super athletic and this will get him drafted late first or early second. I actually think he will be a solid role player in the NBA, provided he can spot up shoot and not actually be asked to handle the ball too much (which is his main weakness). If a guy like Quentin Grimes for the Knicks can get major PT, I don't see why Wooga wouldn't. It would also be better for Wooga to go after this year, because I actually think the more he is asked to do, the more his stock will drop (since he isn't well-equipped to be the focal point for a team) so he isn't someone that would benefit from another year.

The only other player on the roster with NBA potential is George and I think he would absolutely benefit from coming back another year. The issue with him is although he is a freshman he just turned 20 which means he is the age of a typical sophomore, so I am worried he gets rushed into the NBA.
I don't see wooga at this point as an NBA player. I hope for his sake I'm wrong. Just doubt it. Maybe norchad gets a shot because of his engine. But he's got a tough road ahead of him. The only one I see as an NBA player is George. A HIGH level one at that. Tons of scouts are in and out to see him. Hopefully we get one more year out of him. But I wouldn't blame him if he leaves. Especially because it's difficult to see anything noticeably better for this team next year as of now. Obviously that can change. But we're losing alot after this season. No clue what the plan will be for how to replace them obviously. I just hope with losing norchad that we have a plan for how to replace his production. Cause this team will be unbearably bad without his level of production from someone or more likely several players. Tweak the system would be my idea.

Advertisement
George is the only NBA player on this team, and that's IF he learns to play a modicum of defense and hits the PEDs.

If he doesn't show some defensive pulse, even he won't make it.

This team stinks at the moment.

George is the only NBA player on this team, and that's IF he learns to play a modicum of defense and hits the PEDs.

If he doesn't show some defensive pulse, even he won't make it.

This team stinks at the moment.
Have you watched the NBA in the last decade? No one plays D anymore. George has the size and skill set that NBA teams love. 6'8"+ in height who can shoot it with distance with enough ball-handling that once he gets stronger and more explosive he'll be able to get by people and to the rim. I don't see how he doesn't get a draftable grade after this team gets put out of their misery. I think from what he's shown this season to go along with his young age and potential, he can go anywhere from mid 1st round to early 2nd.

Last edited:
Have you watched the NBA in the last decade? No one plays D anymore. George has the size and skill set that NBA teams love. 6'8"+ in height who can shoot it with distance with enough ball-handling that once he gets stronger and more explosive he'll be able to get by people and to the rim. I don't see how he doesn't get a draftable grade after this team gets put out of their misery. I think from what he's shown this season to go along with his young age and potential, he can go anywhere from mid 1st round to early 2nd.
He could. He's close. So, I basically 85% agree.

And no, I don't watch the NBA. It's a passionless morgue.

Advertisement
Sure you are right on George!

What's your take on Poplar? Has he played himself out of being drafted, or still in play? Still shooting threes at a 44% clip (interesting that he shoots 3 balls with the same accuracy as he does shots inside the arc), great FT shooter. But ... he still lacks NBA guard skills and his "breakout" season has fizzled.

Last edited:
Sure you are right on George!

What's your take on Poplar? Has he played himself out of being drafted, or still in play? Still shooting threes at a 44% clip (interesting that he shoots 3 balls with the same accuracy as he does shots inside the arc), great FT shooter. But ... he still lacks NBA guard skills and his "breakout" season has fizzled.
I don't think there's any question Wooga Poplar's stock with NBA teams has taken a hit with the subpar season he's had thus far. What was once a promising start to a breakout campaign has turned into a dud. Whether injury has been the root of the problem or whether it was just poor play, Poplar will have to play his way back into the 1st round. Unless he miraculously turns it around and ends this season on a high note, I don't think he gets selected in the 1st round if he were to declare for the upcoming draft. The camps and tryouts could get him into the 2nd round though. Because of his skill set I do think he'd fare well in those settings. But then again, what do I know? Some "experts" still have him going in the 1st round.

I don't see wooga at this point as an NBA player. I hope for his sake I'm wrong. Just doubt it. Maybe norchad gets a shot because of his engine. But he's got a tough road ahead of him. The only one I see as an NBA player is George. A HIGH level one at that. Tons of scouts are in and out to see him. Hopefully we get one more year out of him. But I wouldn't blame him if he leaves. Especially because it's difficult to see anything noticeably better for this team next year as of now. Obviously that can change. But we're losing alot after this season. No clue what the plan will be for how to replace them obviously. I just hope with losing norchad that we have a plan for how to replace his production. Cause this team will be unbearably bad without his level of production from someone or more likely several players. Tweak the system would be my idea.
My guess is the roster gets blown up and we are very active in the portal.

Advertisement
My guess is the roster gets blown up and we are very active in the portal.
I doubt it. i could see 2 portal additions. But can't see him blowing up the roster. Remember this is his vision. He spent all offseason talking about this team being just as good as last years.

I doubt it. i could see 2 portal additions. But can't see him blowing up the roster. Remember this is his vision. He spent all offseason talking about this team being just as good as last years.
We only have 11 scholarship athletes. We have 3 coming and we are definitely losing more than 5.

Advertisement
Back