This is why Parrish and Franklin have a great opportunity

That may be the case - but on the flip side, Knighton would be getting it 10x worse if he wasn't from South Florida.
Deejay & Gus definitely got more criticism despite putting up much better #'s thru their Soph years.

View attachment 186433

Knighton is better & more talented than his stats, but at the same time there's no denying his stats are really bad. It's fair & ok to acknowledge both.
The line and run game in general was bad. Can you put up the receiving stats too?

Advertisement
Two of them have what it takes to be elite. NO RUNNING BACK will be anything but basic behind that oline and with that lil creativity in play calling.

I agree with all of that.

I'm also on board with questioning the play calling, but only to a degree. The reason I say that is due to the OL being so inconsistent, it makes play calling a nightmare. You couldn't trust anyone on the OL to do what they were assigned to do on any given down. Every play there was a breakdown.

Defenses knew that and literally could play even across the field with their linebackers sitting there waiting to see how the play developed.

Those guys better up their game or we'll see much the same this year. I'm also not giving Lash or past coordinators a pass as you've gotta find things that work, but in the same breath there wasn't anything we did that worked consistently due to players breaking a play with their poor play.

If Parrish is our lead back we're in trouble.
Why would you say that? He's had far more success during his career than every other back on the roster.
He's rushed for 816 (5.1 ypc) and caught 28 passes for 232 yards in two seasons in the SEC. He's done a lot of work in conference play against good teams. He hasn't just seen garbage time minutes in blowouts.

By comparison, Jaylan Knighton has rushed for 770 (3.9 ypc) and caught 31 passes for 415 in two ACC seasons.
Don Chaney has 366 yards rushing (4.6 ypc) and 12 receptions for 147 yards and is always injured
Thad Franklin has 172 career yards.

Advertisement
Two of them have what it takes to be elite. NO RUNNING BACK will be anything but basic behind that oline and with that lil creativity in play calling.
When you're 122nd in the nation, you can't blame it all on the OL. We weren't the worst OL in the nation and they were running into light boxes.

Knighton is one of the best playmakers in the ACC but hasn't done much as a runner. Career 3.9 yards per carry. And he's had off-the-field stuff which makes him difficult to count on.

Chaney is an obvious talent but it hasn't happened yet. It's been two years and he still hasn't had a long TD run. That's supposed to be his game. He's not a consistent gainer and he hasn't pass blocked well. Cam (who is flawed) was way more explosive than he was with the same line.

Again, we all know those two have talent. But you can't rely on it. Pay attention to Kevin Smith's actions. There is a reason we went so hard after Citizen and Parrish.

Bruh 🤦🏽‍♂ @2:53 mark Knighton gets the hand off cuts immediately towards the right and shoots up the guard and tackle gap for a 15 yard gain. @3:28 mark Knighton jukes out a UNC dlineman at the los bounces outside and scores a TD.

The run at 2:53 is a great example of what I'm talking about.

- Knighton make his cut 2 yds behind the LOS through a big hole from the OL
- His eyes lock onto the defender who is 7-8 yds away & stay locked the whole time - pretty much runs straight to him
- Finishes by dropping his head into him.
- No move. He stays on the angle of his 1st cut behind LOS - no attempt to change direction once he crosses LOS.

1653056502323.png

The run at 3:28 is a 4yd goal line run, so no need to change directions, but the move he makes is right at the line of scrimmage

Once he crosses the line of scrimmage, whatever direction he's headed in he just stays in that direction - even if it means running straight into a defender.

The run at 2:53 is a great example of what I'm talking about.

- Knighton make his cut 2 yds behind the LOS through a big hole from the OL
- His eyes lock onto the defender who is 7-8 yds away & stay locked the whole time - pretty much runs straight to him
- Finishes by dropping his head into him.
- No move. He stays on the angle of his 1st cut behind LOS - no attempt to change direction once he crosses LOS.

View attachment 186438

The run at 3:28 is a 4yd goal line run, so no need to change directions, but the move he makes is right at the line of scrimmage

Once he crosses the line of scrimmage, whatever direction he's headed in he just stays in that direction - even if it means running straight into a defender.
Dude runs like he thinks he's Jerome Bettis. Maybe it's better to attempt to not get tackled rather than just running right into the defender.

Advertisement
The line and run game in general was bad. Can you put up the receiving stats too?

Definitely - Now we're getting somewhere.

Knighton's a weapon in the passing game, so let's use him there. Knighton's bad in the run game, so let's use other RB's there (unless he tweaks his style).

We have a stable of RB's, so let's play to their strengths.

Here's the receiving stats. Definitely helps Knighton's stats because he's a great receiver, but his Yds Per Touch is still lower than Gus & Deejay's Yds Per Carry

1653058632638.png

Why would you say that? He's had far more success during his career than every other back on the roster.
He's rushed for 816 (5.1 ypc) and caught 28 passes for 232 yards in two seasons in the SEC. He's done a lot of work in conference play against good teams. He hasn't just seen garbage time minutes in blowouts.

By comparison, Jaylan Knighton has rushed for 770 (3.9 ypc) and caught 31 passes for 415 in two ACC seasons.
Don Chaney has 366 yards rushing (4.6 ypc) and 12 receptions for 147 yards and is always injured
Thad Franklin has 172 career yards.
Parish is a nice back but shouldn't be our starter IMO. I'm no expert though. 🤷‍♂️

I think all areas of team will be better from coaching alone including ol run blocking. Does not matter to me which backs step up. Run game should be better.

Advertisement
Anyone who doesn't think Citizen can be our lead back needs to go watch tape of all our backs again and clear your head.
Very talented but would have to master a significant playbook and blocking schemes as a true freshman summer arrival. Just saying there is more to the equation than raw talent. And while he is a major prospect and a great get, it’s not like he’s perceived as a generational talent. I roll my eyes at the website rankings as much as anyone, so forgive me please, but he wasn’t even a top 100 player or top 8 RB according to the composite.

I just don’t want to see everyone putting unrealistic pressure on the kid before game 1.

Parish is a nice back but shouldn't be our starter IMO. I'm no expert though. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think he's an All American but it's not like we've got a backfield full of proven talent. He's probably the best option of the group currently.

I think Chaney had/has the ability to be a RB1 but he probably just stubbed his toe and is out the next 4-6 weeks.
Knighton is not an every down back and should be limited to a 3rd down receiver role.
Franklin is a hammer but he's not quick enough to be an every down guy. Best as a short yardage, change of pace guy that can punish a tired defense in the 4th quarter.
Citizen is probably the most talented but it's unlikely the coaches will trust him in a full time role until he can prove he's capable of doing everything.

Right now, Parrish is the guy with the most experience especially against better P5 defenses.

Advertisement
I'm going down with my take I said when they were all juniors/seniors in high school...

I think Henry Parrish is the best runner of the bunch. Knighton might be more explosive, Chaney might look more the part when impress in practice. But Parrish is an all-arounder that does everything well and continues to be more productive than his peers (Chaney and Knighton) as he's been doing seemingly his entire life.

Knighton we know. Sorry, I just don't see Parrish or Franklin as quick or fast enough to consistently gain meaningful yards against a good defense. Chaney and Citizen TBD.

Very talented but would have to master a significant playbook and blocking schemes as a true freshman summer arrival. Just saying there is more to the equation than raw talent. And while he is a major prospect and a great get, it’s not like he’s perceived as a generational talent. I roll my eyes at the website rankings as much as anyone, so forgive me please, but he wasn’t even a top 100 player or top 8 RB according to the composite.

I just don’t want to see everyone putting unrealistic pressure on the kid before game 1.
You don't have to be great to win the starting role in this room - that's kind of the point of the thread. It's a very winnable depth chart.

Chaney & Knighton never beat out or outperformed Cam Harris. Thad barely got carries even when Chaney & Cam were hurt.

Parrish has been the most productive of the RB's, but still doesn't have great production, and is a high floor/low-ceiling type.

Citizen doesn't have to be anywhere close to a Generational talent. He can just be a Cam Harris or a little better talent and end up RB1. Asking him to be Cam isn't putting too much pressure on him IMO.

I don't think D, or anyone expects him to be a lead back out of the gate.

It's just not far fetched at all to think he can get the bulk of carries at one point.

He looks the best in traffic out of all our backs on tape.

Advertisement
Back