This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

OL was always a weak point when Richt was at Georgia. Miami actually had more OL drafted than Georgia did during when Richt was there.

No doubt we need better coaching along the OL, so hopefully the new coaches and scheme show significant improvement here.

But I think the skill position players have a huge effect on how good our OL looks. Great skill position players go a long way to making the OL look good.

Just got to get the ball out quickly.

This killed me with Richt’s offense above all else.

It drove me crazy watching guys get pressured and sacked before receivers could even look for the ball.

The gameplan never took into account how “bad” everyone said the oline was.

Advertisement
We had 2 big problems that exacerbated each other. QBs who couldn’t complete a pass/ WR who can’t catch and a terrible offensive line. Teams stacked the box daring us to throw and pressuring the line.

We had 2 big problems that exacerbated each other. QBs who couldn’t complete a pass/ WR who can’t catch and a terrible offensive line. Teams stacked the box daring us to throw and pressuring the line.
Oline wasn’t that terrible imo, Richts decisions and playcalling didn’t aid them whatsoever though

Maybe keeping No'D though?

Nothing is as bad as hiring junior.

OL was always a weak point when Richt was at Georgia. Miami actually had more OL drafted than Georgia did during when Richt was there.

No doubt we need better coaching along the OL, so hopefully the new coaches and scheme show significant improvement here.

But I think the skill position players have a huge effect on how good our OL looks. Great skill position players go a long way to making the OL look good.

It was weak cus searles was the coach for 2 of the years cant coach or recruit

Advertisement
I'm not so sure how much effort or lack of effort matters when it comes to Stacey Searles.

Given his "throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks" approach to putting together his starting 5, his inability to see what so many fans could see until we've been saying it for months, the total lack of apparent development from our highly rated linemen during his tenure, etc, etc...,

I'm just not sure he would know the difference between a good offensive lineman and an also ran even if he had Larry Allen standing in front of him with the Star on his helmet, standing next to a UPS driver. I think there's a legit 50/50 chance he'd pick the UPS driver for his football team and then toss the keys to the equipment truck to Larry Allen.

i sit directly behind the OLine bench. Searles had 5-6 clipboards at the start of each game because he breaks 4-5 a game yelling at the OL. Most of them would look elsewhere. I can say with near certainty that he lost them a year or two ago. All he did was yell. I gotta believe there are more nuanced and effective coaching methods.

It was weak cus searles was the coach for 2 of the years cant coach or recruit

When we were 10-0 in 2017, everyone was saying we had "the best OL in the ACC". The OL looked a lot better when Rosier was making plays.

I'm not defending Searles - I just think the play of the skill position players move the needle on how people feel about the OL more than the coaching does.

The fact that our guys would appear a bit gassed in the second half just ****es me off!

Even in a fast, no-huddle offense - you may run 85 plays.

Each play lasts just under 4 seconds. 85 plays times 4 seconds equals 340 seconds.

340 seconds divided by 60 seconds per minute equals just over 5 and a half minutes. PER GAME!

You telling me - our guys can't give 110% for five and a half minutes spread over an entire game???

Yeah - do your lifting - but they damned well need to be doing some serious running - for STAMINA!

Five minutes! Per game! Is that asking too much?
I remain hopeful that staff changes top Diaz, Enos, Barry will translate to discipline and stying in shape.
all college teams hold up 4 fingers signifying the 4 q is ours.... if i remember correctly the Canes started that 4 fingers salute
need to get that back

Advertisement
When we were 10-0 in 2017, everyone was saying we had "the best OL in the ACC". The OL looked a lot better when Rosier was making plays.

I'm not defending Searles - I just think the play of the skill position players move the needle on how people feel about the OL more than the coaching does.
That's ridiculous. Anyone who actually felt that way, even with the team at 10-0, doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's ridiculous. Anyone who actually felt that way, even with the team at 10-0, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, I don't remember hearing anyone say that we had the best OL in the ACC. In fact, I remember the opposite. We couldn't run the ball effectively outside of Malik scrambles, draws, or zone reads against the competent defenses we faced. That was a big reason we were in so many crapshoot close games that year. We couldn't run it to put teams away.

Yeah, I don't remember hearing anyone say that we had the best OL in the ACC. In fact, I remember the opposite. We couldn't run the ball effectively outside of Malik scrambles, draws, or zone reads against the competent defenses we faced. That was a big reason we were in so many crapshoot close games that year. We couldn't run it to put teams away.

I'm not surprised people don't remember - but believe me - after we ran for 210 yds vs. VT and 237 yds vs. ND in 2017 - that's definitely what people were saying.

When we were 10-0, not everyone, but a majority of the fanbase thought:

- The OL was one of the best in the ACC. A strength of the team
- Richt was a good play caller. People that said different when he was hired needed to eat crow.
- Rosier was a leader and a gamer. And with his mobility he was better than that statue Brand Kaaya

We were riding a 15 game win streak so it would've been stupid to disagree with those things (at the time).

But then we go 5-8 over our next 13 games and no one remembers that.

Advertisement
I remain hopeful that staff changes top Diaz, Enos, Barry will translate to discipline and stying in shape.
all college teams hold up 4 fingers signifying the 4 q is ours.... if i remember correctly the Canes started that 4 fingers salute
need to get that back

Yes. The Canes DID start holding up four fingers for the fourth quarter.

I'm amazed at how the Canes forever changed the old-style football to something much, much more wide open and entertaining.

I, too, want us to once again hold up four fingers - and it have real meaning!

Searels doesn't get a pass for his recruiting. He had 3.5 to 4 classes and got 1.5 to 2 right:

-- 2016 dumpster fire, even accepting it was a mulligan class. Searels was hired January 4th. You're telling me he couldn't find one other kid better than Tre Johnson in the month prior to LOI signing? Or one other transfer better than George Brown from January to August when Brown signed? Compare that to what Manny's staff from January on this year.
-- 2017 Very strong class, no complaints.
-- 2018 3 strong kids. We needed at least one more, arguably two. Picks up Boulware to recover and make it a good if not great class
-- 2019 Dumpster fire. I know people like the potential they see in Nelson and Gammal. But they're the equivalent of Shannon finding Jimmy Gaines and Kelvin Cain in 2010. Maybe they'll turn out okay. But they're not Tarquin and Neal. ... And Kennedy is already being equated with the word "bust"

Scheme, Development, Recruiting and Evaluation. You need all four. Let's hope we've finally found our guys in Barry and Enos. We've spent too many years wandering the desert.

I'm not surprised people don't remember - but believe me - after we ran for 210 yds vs. VT and 237 yds vs. ND in 2017 - that's definitely what people were saying.

- Richt was a good play caller. People that said different when he was hired needed to eat crow.
- Rosier was a leader and a gamer. And with his mobility he was better than that statue Brand Kaaya

We were riding a 15 game win streak so it would've been stupid to disagree with those things (at the time).

Richt was never a good play-caller, and our OL never played like it was the best in the ACC. People who know football would never have made either statement.

Advertisement

Good times man good times... continue y’all conversation.

Now look here

LT SCAIFE || NELSON || BROWN

LG DONALDSON || TRAORE || GRIFFITH

C GAYNOR || CLARK || KENNEDY

RG REED || HILLERY || DYKSTRA

RT HERBERT || CAMPBELL || ELGAMMAL

Advertisement
Back