This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

Part of this is scheme as well. We didn't use deception. We didn't help our QBs identify coverages by using motion. We ran predictable plays in predictable down and distances. I'm not saying our OL was anywhere near perfect, but it's hard to win battles when the other team has a headstart and they're either as good or better than your guys.
THAT is an excellent point!!!!
Scheme matters....when we run the same **** read option play 16 times a game it’s not that hard to stop. If Enos brings in an offense that has variety I bet we see our oline perform much better

Advertisement
I keep on saying our biggest problem is developing the players we do get. When players improve and develop is much easier to recruit more talented players. And im not talking about players here and there, im talking about entire position groups, not just one standout in the group. The lack of talent development has never been more evident than at QB. Lets hope it changes with this staff because i was not looking forward to the season when Richt was around. But now i sure am

Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.

I agree. Although a lot of this was our offensive scheme, too. Not hard to scheme against what we were running and overloading or stunting. We could have run combo routes that got the ball out quickly, but even there we were very simple.

That being said our previous position coach was a dope. If St. Louis was pedestrian at right tackle, then why on God's green Earth, would he be expected to anything better than pedestrian at left tackle? Mahoney transferred out and was overwhelmed against any legitimate tackles he faced. Donaldson has to drop weight because he struggles pulling. He's a mauler. Scaife should push inside and stay there. I'd like to see what Barry does with the young kids that never really got a chance with the last guy.

Last edited:
We will be much improved as I am sure we will see a new blocking scheme.

Advertisement
Watching that game you could tell that Clemson’s OL was the truth from the jump. OL is easily the most under appreciated as well as most important group on the field.

As a Bucs fan I see our OL making a significant jump. Bucs have had c grade running backs n c grade qb play and still was a top 10 offense

Our OL in the NFL are not recent kids, and not indicative of the guys we have on the roster now. Nor Searels’ evals. Surely you don’t mean that. Not even sure why you’d go there. Linder wasnt a recent eval for UM, and his contract has nothing to do with this topic. You yourself note Clemson’s talent on Ol is heading up and ours isn’t. That’s the point.

Linder and Seantrel were Randy recruits IIRC. McDermott was a local 4* legacy kid. Obviously our coaching has to get better, but no one thinks our current OL roster matches Clemson on talent.

For all Randy’s shortcomings, his Oline coach was the best assistant we have had since Butch’s days.

Advertisement
Talent wasn’t the issue. We ran for over 4 yards a clips against LSU. Richt playing Rosier and his RB dive on 1st and 2nd down and being in 3rd and long was our biggest problem.
Talent is absolutely an issue on our OL. It’s absurd to say otherwise. Here’s what we had on the roster last season:

Solid: St. Louis (and out of position)
Capable: Gauthier, Donaldson
Plausible: Gaynor, Boulware, J. Jones, Mahoney
Non-contributors: Brown, Hillery, Herbert, Dykstra, Milo
True frosh: Campbell, Scaife, Reed

D$ talks about nfl players, but imo it’s not a helpful way to view OL. Certainly not in our case. We have 5 guys in the nfl covering a decade or so. You gotta roll 8-9 deep each year to cover depth and injuries, with at least 6 legit players. A solid OL has a group of guys who are all competent. Massive holes create massive problems. Defensive coordinators see it, and attack, and destroy offensive flow and game plans. The truth is we have had huge capability gaps, particularly after our top three kids. No disrespect to those guys, but relying on Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney for real minutes against LSU’s DL is a deficiency. And Gauthier was no star. Scaife was a true frosh. We clearly had talent deficiencies. And playing true frosh is evidence of that, at least much of the time.

We have five OL in the NFL. All five started at least one game.

Clemson only has one OL who even played in the NFL last year. And that guy only played because the starter (Brandon Linder, the highest paid C of all-time) got hurt.

To be clear, I expect this to change. Clemson is going to start bringing in monsters on the OL. But they got to the peak of the mountain with worse OL talent than we've had for much of the past decade.
Our NY pipeline of OL should pay big dividends. Imagine how quick these kids feet will be after spending their formative years walking around in heavy timberland boots.

Talent is absolutely an issue on our OL. It’s absurd to say otherwise. Here’s what we had on the roster last season:

Solid: St. Louis (and out of position)
Capable: Gauthier, Donaldson
Plausible: Gaynor, Boulware, J. Jones, Mahoney
Non-contributors: Brown, Hillery, Herbert, Dykstra, Milo
True frosh: Campbell, Scaife, Reed

D$ talks about nfl players, but imo it’s not a helpful way to view OL. Certainly not in our case. We have 5 guys in the nfl covering a decade or so. You gotta roll 8-9 deep each year to cover depth and injuries, with at least 6 legit players. A solid OL has a group of guys who are all competent. Massive holes create massive problems. Defensive coordinators see it, and attack, and destroy offensive flow and game plans. The truth is we have had huge capability gaps, particularly after our top three kids. No disrespect to those guys, but relying on Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney for real minutes against LSU’s DL is a deficiency. And Gauthier was no star. Scaife was a true frosh. We clearly had talent deficiencies. And playing true frosh is evidence of that, at least much of the time.
DMoney isn’t a guru he compared Harvey to Khalil Mack, he’s just a huge homer he don’t know anything. And we didn’t have to rely on Jones and Mahoney, our incompetent coach kept running them out there for whatever reason, who knows. Mahoney got laid on his *** by a 150 lb DB against Savannah St and still played. The OLine coach and the whole offensive staff was a joke.

DMoney isn’t a guru he compared Harvey to Khalil Mack, he’s just a huge homer he don’t know anything. And we didn’t have to rely on Jones and Mahoney, our incompetent coach kept running them out there for whatever reason, who knows. Mahoney got laid on his *** by a 150 lb DB against Savannah St and still played. The OLine coach and the whole offensive staff was a joke.
D$ knows football and is passionate about Miami in particular. Certainly more than most on this site. Yes, he’s a homer. But we’re all here to doscuss the team and I mentioned him because he’d made a comment on nfl players earlier in this thread.

Amd as for Mahomey and Jones, we did need to trot them out, or our 6 deep would have been 4 deep. We just did not have enough game ready talent last year on OL. Scaife and Reed and Campbell may have promise, but they were true frosh. Scaife was game ready but if you’re relying on multiple true frosh on OL, you hve a depth issue almost by definition.

Advertisement
Talent is there for this to be a very good line:

LT- Kennedy (most sought after GT)
LG- Reed (HS All American)
C- Gaynor
RG- Donaldson (HS/Frosh All American)
RT- Scaife (HS All American)

Donaldson is in need is serious coaching, he played like dog **** for a big part of the season

I still think the QB coach is the most important position coach, but yeah our Oline play needs to drastically improve if we want to win things.

Advertisement
you can say 100 different things about the O line last year but to me the regression by navaughn donaldson alone was fireable. the staff treated him as the top player on the board when they were recruiting him and 2 seasons later he was borderline unplayable. wasting talent like that is just criminal.

Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.
Honestly, it's the PEDs

I’m just as excited about the new S&C team as Coach Barry, imo the two go hand-in-hand more than any other position on the team.

I think Kennedy has the experience and most importantly the right mindset to succeed at Miami and the P5 level. I think the gains he makes in the weight room will make him a solid starter at LT. TSL played a lot of OG at the Senior Bowl and I saw a couple different tweets from analysts that said it looked like his best position and I agree.

Between Scaife, Campbell, Hillery and Herbert I expect us to have 2 starting-caliber guys at OT by August. But I think 1-2 move to OG on the two-deep because I think they’re better than Dykstra and George Brown (moves to OG or transfers imo). Personally, I’m predicting Scaife at RT unless Campbell is good enough to allow Scaife to play inside. But under that scenario another guy has to be our swing OT that can step in and start, which is less likely imo.

Inside I expect Reed at LG, Gaynor at C, Donaldson at RG. I expect 52 and 55 to look visibly different physically as well. Due to depth I see George Brown and Hillery playing OG. Don’t see Dykstra playing. I see Clark being the #2 C and possible not redshirting.

My early depth chart for spring ball, minus any transfers like Braun obviously, would be this:

LT: Kennedy (rSR), Campbell (rFR)
LG: Reed (rFR), Brown (rSR)
C: Gaynor (rSO), Clark (FR), Dykstra (rSO)
RG: Donaldson (JR), Hillery (rSO)
RT: Scaife (SO), Herbert (rSO)

Redshirts: ElGammal (FR), Nelson (FR)

Advertisement
Back