This is the game I decide if I am riding with Stephen Morris

CaneSB

Freshman
This is the most important game in the Stephen Morris era. I have heard for months now about how good he looks in practice, the command he has of the offense, and about his offseason maturation and leadership. I know he has played well in the first 2 games of the season. The BCC game meant nothing. Her struggled. It happens.

But this is the game he needs to rise up and not have a good game...but a great game. An unstoppable game. The defense is in shambles. GT is known to put a lot of points on the board. This is the 4th game of his junior year with numerous starts under his belt. It is an ACC Coastal game on the road against a solid defense.

However constrained he might be by Fisch's offense at times...he needs to hit hard when he has the opportunity to go vertical. He needs to make things happen with his feet when the pocket collapses. He must have ice in his veins when it is third and long.

This is the game where I decide if I am riding with Stephen Morris or if I am taking a sledge hammer to the wheel of DMoney's bandwagon.

Advertisement
Does anyone what Stephen is able to do from an audible standpoint? I may have totally missed it, but I don't recall many.

I think having Hurns back will be big for Morris. We need other receivers to step up.

Btw, where is Asante Cleveland? Is he alive?

Last time I remember hearing his name mentioned he was supposed to be our next pass-catching TE, and then he disappeared.

We need to incorporate more of a vertical passing game. Fisch is relying too much on these screens and sideline passes. Morris has the arm for it, why not let him throw downfield?

I think having Hurns back will be big for Morris. We need other receivers to step up.

Last time I remember hearing his name mentioned he was supposed to be our next pass-catching TE, and then he disappeared.

We need to incorporate more of a vertical passing game. Fisch is relying too much on these screens and sideline passes. Morris has the arm for it, why not let him throw downfield?

We have been throwing it downfield, Morris just hasn't been accurate with it right now.

He does it every year..

He's always the spring MVP that makes you shake your head come fall.

Advertisement
all about the D slowing down the option. we will not stop it... it will be very telling on how much the team believes in AL w/ how fast our defenders hands are on their hips and how many missed/half assed tackles we have if we're losing big time...

I think his running ability is deceptive. He sure doesn't look fast out there, and is more often than not flat footed and unelusive.

Once in a while he has a run, but the hole is big and its an gimme.

Seen him run bootlegs over a dozen times, where he can't make up his mind to throw or run, and does neither.

And rolling to his left, he looks like he is in slow motion

I liked Morris but this horizontal and short passing game seems like a mismatch with him. touch and pocket awareness are his problems.....seems like he throws downfield when flat is open and vice versa.

Advertisement
I think his running ability is deceptive. He sure doesn't look fast out there, and is more often than not flat footed and unelusive.

Seen him run bootlegs over a dozen times, where he can't make up his mind to throw or run, and does neither.

He is fast and strong but he lacks natural instincts and starts to scramble too late after the play breaks down and the defense is expecting it.

Morris could 30-35 for 400 yards and 4 tds and we'll still lose. I'm on record saying GT will not punt once.

He is fast and strong but he lacks natural instincts and starts to scramble too late after the play breaks down and the defense is expecting it.

I said that and saw it during the BC and KSU games. Very slow reciting. That does make him look slow speed wise. Locks on receivers, which contributes to his "Mummy" like look.

Advertisement
lmao @ Stephen 'The Mummy' Morris

I'm not talking about the new mummy with the martial arts and running around all over, turning himself into sand storms and tsunamis. Think Karloff! THAT mummy. The one you could just walk away from.

Remember Ali calling Foreman "The Mummy is a dummy!" before the fight in Kinshasha? Just thought of that. Funny stuff.

Agree with the premise of this thread....I want to see him play well. If he plays well but the D plays horrible and we lose nobody should blame Morris. But if that D somehow keeps GT in the low 20's and we lose it may be time to give Williams a chance or at least open the comptition back up.

I don't think Morris has been constrained by Fisch, as the op suggests. After seeing the performance Morris put on against Bethune when Fisch gave him more leash, and Stephen promptly hung himself with it, I'm convinced the short passing the first two games was to protect Stephen (and in the case BC also because they gave us those uncontested all day).

Advertisement
Everything just looks forced with Stephen, nothing looks calm and easy.

He's like the opposite of Duke Johnson in that regard.

GT may not punt much, but they have put the ball on the carpet 8 times this year and thrown one pick. If our CBs can cover the pitch and cover the big play down the field, we will win if Morris plays well.

Morris Grades;
BC-B
KSU-C
BCC-D

Don't like the trend.

Like someone said its not so much on Fisch or the young receivers that he has regressed as the season has gone along. Should be the opposite, and by now he should be farther along in his development with the young receivers. It hasn't happened and its on him. Lets see how much he takes the coaching this week, and corrects the easily correctable mistakes that are stalling the O, cause we'll need at least 30 points to win this week.

Advertisement
Back