This is not the behavior of a big-time program

Nope. But the big time programs are paying special teams coordinators a million dollars a year. Make no mistake it is POSSIBLE(not probable with this staff) that Miami can make a one hit wonder run at a title with the star aligning with a heisman quarterback and such but we could never ever sustain the success of the dominant programs cause we just can’t afford a staff like that. If we ever won a title we’d lose every coach on the payroll no doubt. We couldn’t afford to keep them. We’re playing a different game guys. Our expectations should be winning the coastal 80% of the time. Outside chance at a crazy one year run. That’s it tho

We can't afford it because we're managed by idiots who couldn't run a taco stand. Our BOT is a joke. Julio Frenk and Blake James are a joke.

UM is one giant clown show.

Advertisement
We'll see how it plays out.

Clemson landed on Dabo when promoting him from Tommy Bowden's failed regime—a no experience guy who was a wide receivers / tight ends coach at Bama for five years in the nineties, before taking over wide outs at Clemson for six years—yet they made him head coach.

Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott were nobodies who were made co-offensive coordinators; Elliott a receivers coach at South Carolina State and Furman before coaching running backs at Clemson. He was 36 years old and completely inexperienced when he was promoted.

Scott coached at a high school for one year, wide outs at Presbyterian for a year and then seven years coaching wide outs at Clemson before he was promoted at 35 years old (and has since taken the head coaching gig at South Florida.)

My issue with Manny is that the move itself is bush league. He's the CEO of this program. To try and keep a foot in both worlds where he thinks no one else can do the job the way he did it, so he wants to be the boss and call plays, as well. Bush league move good leaders don't do. You hire someone competent, you toss them the keys, go hands off and trust them to do the job.

Demoting Baker's responsibilities, hiring all these other defensive coaches himself (instead of letting a capable DC bring in his guy) .... it reeks of control and if it doesn't work, this will be the second nail in his coffin (the first being the FIU loss and three-game losing streak in 2019.)

Advertisement
NFL caliber d-line coach with proven experience. 2018 D Line was awesome. Proven DB coach with an impeccable resume will result in better DB play. So you now you have a good dline and good DB. Question mark is LB and play calling, but I trust Manny to produce as a play caller.

when has this guy done anything as a play caller? He got his *** handed to him by all the big we played, and at Texas before that.

Advertisement
We'll see how it plays out.

Clemson landed on Dabo when promoting him from Tommy Bowden's failed regime—a no experience guy who was a wide receivers / tight ends coach at Bama for five years in the nineties, before taking over wide outs at Clemson for six years—yet they made him head coach.

Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott were nobodies who were made co-offensive coordinators; Elliott a receivers coach at South Carolina State and Furman before coaching running backs at Clemson. He was 36 years old and completely inexperienced when he was promoted.

Scott coached at a high school for one year, wide outs at Presbyterian for a year and then seven years coaching wide outs at Clemson before he was promoted at 35 years old (and has since taken the head coaching gig at South Florida.)

My issue with Manny is that the move itself is bush league. He's the CEO of this program. To try and keep a foot in both worlds where he thinks no one else can do the job the way he did it, so he wants to be the boss and call plays, as well. Bush league move good leaders don't do. You hire someone competent, you toss them the keys, go hands off and trust them to do the job.

Demoting Baker's responsibilities, hiring all these other defensive coaches himself (instead of letting a capable DC bring in his guy) .... it reeks of control and if it doesn't work, this will be the second nail in his coffin (the first being the FIU loss and three-game losing streak in 2019.)
I’m in wait and see but why do we continue to hire these guys that think they are bigger than the program!

Somehow we thought it was a good idea to demote Baker and Rumph and keep them on staff. What value are they bringing to the table?

Baker has been neutered. How does that help us on the recruiting trail? What does Rumph offer in some nebulous recruiting role?

Why bring in an experienced DB coach like T-Rob, then undercut him by promoting a green coach? And our defensive struggles go well beyond ill-timed defensive calls.

What the **** are we doing? The only upside is Manny has hastened his own decline.

I hope it works out, but there are red flags everywhere. My goodness...
How many time we have to witness this nonsense? Ignorance is so prevalent when its comes to Miami coaching staff no matter the time or era. 17 years and counting. If Faker stays, we don't have to pay to see this movie to know how it's going to end.

Somehow we thought it was a good idea to demote Baker and Rumph and keep them on staff. What value are they bringing to the table?

Baker has been neutered. How does that help us on the recruiting trail? What does Rumph offer in some nebulous recruiting role?

Why bring in an experienced DB coach like T-Rob, then undercut him by promoting a green coach? And our defensive struggles go well beyond ill-timed defensive calls.

What the **** are we doing? The only upside is Manny has hastened his own decline.

I hope it works out, but there are red flags everywhere. My goodness...
I think we are underestimating what an innovator Manny is as a coach. After seeing Bama practicing at our facilities he asked himself what would a successful program like this do in these situations and did the complete opposite. Innovation baby!!!

Advertisement
Surely he is only keeping these guys on to protect their reputations, and behind the scenes they are looking for new jobs.

I think we are underestimating what an innovator Manny is as a coach. After seeing Bama practicing at our facilities he asked himself what would a successful program like this do in these situations and did the complete opposite. Innovation baby!!!

I HOPE Manny is smart enough to tweak his scheme after getting undressed by UNC.

The thing that frustrates me the most is he kept Baker even though he adds no value.

If you're gonna take over the defense, at least bring in some stud recruiter to be the LB coach.

Advertisement
While I tend to agree with the OP. Michigan State did this two years ago. They just kept everyone and shuffled them to different titles and position groups.
Aaaand Dantonio got fired at the end of that season...but it has happened

Advertisement
Back