This is not a smart team

Advertisement
Last week, we made international news for stupidity. This week, we followed it up by:

- Committing three unsportmanlike penalties, including one by an assistant coach.

- Calling a timeout, sending 12 men on the field, and giving up a touchdown.

- Giving up a TD on 3rd and 18, and then another on 3rd and 20.

Add in two fumbles plus a bad INT, and you have a soul-crushing beatdown on the road.

For some reason, when things go bad over the last few years, we lash out at our "good-but-not-great-enough" players. Guys like Quarterman and Kaaya are recent examples. Those guys were good players and got excessive backlash for not being great. We're seeing it now with Kam and TVD. Any team in America would take Kam. And while TVD isn't Drake Maye, he is one of the most efficient passers in the nation over his career.

The problem is much deeper. We beat ourselves more often than a 14-year-old with Cinemax. We do dumb things consistently, even in our best win against Texas A&M. It's too much to overcome when you don't have elite talent.

Our momentum is cooked. Clemson is a chance to turn things around, with two tomato cans looming after that. But Clemson won't beat themselves. That's why they win. I love recruiting. But if recruiting needs to make up for coaching, we're stuck in neutral. This team needs to start playing clean football. If they don't, this will be a very expensive version of the same season we've seen for two decades.
Arguably your best post ever. So dead on balls.

The problem with the changing the culture thing is that your players have to trust you. I’m sure the mat drills and conditioning are top notch….but having top end conditioned kids that can’t get out of their own way because their coaches can’t get out of their own way…well, as you said…neutral city.

This is some hyperbole bullsh!t.
We literally lost because we turned the ball over 7 times.

It's not that deep or complicated.

Bingo. Football really ain't that deep. We have lost the turnover battle technically 9-2 in the last 2 weeks, but even if you want to not count the turnovers on the last 2 plays of the games, it's still 7-2. That's the only reason why the GT game was even close, and that's the main reason we lost to UNC.

Bingo. Football really ain't that deep. We have lost the turnover battle technically 9-2 in the last 2 weeks, but even if you want to not count the turnovers on the last 2 plays of the games, it's still 7-2. That's the only reason why the GT game was even close, and that's the main reason we lost to UNC.
"A team that takes away one more turnover than it gives up scores on average 4.4 more points per game."

It's generally football consensus that a turnover is worth roughly 4 points.
It's not really hard to figure out what's hurting Miami right now.

We beat GT and UNC handily if we don't turn the ball over. And that's on TVD and the RB's.

Also, against UNC the personal fouls were as costly as turnovers.

Miami is ranked 103rd in turnover margin!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Imagine sitting here on a message board and commenting about a guy you don’t even know saying his personality is “not ideal”

You ****ers can’t possibly mean this **** right?
Therein lies much of the unsubstantiated criticism towards Mario and the program. Many have never met the guy, including myself, and yet want to disparage his character.
Obviously, the only thing/s we can tangibly criticize is the results on the field. So far, it’s not very good.

"A team that takes away one more turnover than it gives up scores on average 4.4 more points per game."

We beat GT and UNC handily if we don't turn the ball over. And that's on TVD and the RB's.

TVD sucked against GT, and we still found a way to win. Partly because the defense was amazing, partly because GT isn't very good. And then our coach found a way to lose.

But he was overall very solid against UNC and I agree, don't turn the ball over 3 times, we probably win or at least it's a one-possession game in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Therein lies much of the unsubstantiated criticism towards Mario and the program. Many have never met the guy, including myself, and yet want to disparage his character.
Obviously, the only thing/s we can tangibly criticize is the results on the field. So far, it’s not very good.
That’s fair and I’ve been guilty of that

I get a little weird about personal attacks against the players I guess because to me all of the bad falls on the grown men that are supposed to lead these guys

I’ve got no doubts Mario is a good man and I’m sure there’s explanations for some of his actions that behind closed doors I would be like ok man I see what you mean

New OC
New DC
Questionable QB
Tons of new players
Lots of young players

They are making the kind of amateur mistakes an amateur staff makes. No excuses but this was never going to be a smooth ride.
New young questionable excuses

Advertisement
That’s fair and I’ve been guilty of that

I get a little weird about personal attacks against the players I guess because to me all of the bad falls on the grown men that are supposed to lead these guys

I’ve got no doubts Mario is a good man and I’m sure there’s explanations for some of his actions that behind closed doors I would be like ok man I see what you mean
Criticism for what we see on the field is absolutely warranted. That being said, there’s not a sole on this board, sans maybe one, that knows what goes on behind the closed doors of the Hecht. I try and direct my criticism towards what I can see and not speculation.

Miami is ranked 103rd in turnover margin!
and 124th in penalties.

Self inflicted wounds and signs of a team that is still undisciplined and is beating itself. Like Dmoney said, this is NOT a smart team and that is a culture issue. Can also be attributed to the coaching culture. These are the same issues that plagued past teams. I hope that for the rest of the year we really start seeing improvement in this area.

After all Cristobal is not yet through with year 2. As I stated in the final paragraphs there is still time this season for that to manifest itself. As of right now It's not there. This process might take longer than we initially anticipated , I can see 4+ years easy. Even then of there are no guarantees it will work.

I want Mario to win... BADLY. **** I am a Mario fan and have been overtly positive even in dark times. Even NOW I still believe that EVENTUALLY we will get the ball rolling.

With that being said.. there are some undeniable Al Golden vibes when it comes to his coachspeak. I know I will get KILLED for saying that, and obviously I want nothing more than to be wrong. We will see how this team responds on Saturday after starting ACC play 0-2.

IMG_6112.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't disagree...however...

Our biggest problem right now is turnovers.
Kids turn the ball over, not coaches.

We have one of the top offenses in the country, in almost every category. That's either coaching or recruiting (or both).

RB's fumbling the ball and your "elite experienced NFL QB" throwing inexplicable, pathetic interceptions while simultaneously having zero moxy and pocket awareness is not coaching. He is who he is.

If we don't turn the ball over and commit 2 personal foul penalties that give UNC the ball back, we likely win easily. (all of those mistakes led to points)

I'm one of the few that's not ready to shoot myself.
I see some very bright spots on this team. We are nowhere near the same team from last year.

We're only gonna go as far as TVD takes us though. He ain't the guy IMO, but we won't make strides until he stops turning the ball over. (he could've recovered that low snap by the way)

Well said.

Another recruiting class will do wonders for both sides of the ball, and hopefully we can add an elite RB to the mix.

Well that’s TVD. Guy is out there like he’s on the back 9 going for a chip. No fire. No excitement. Even Emory seems to have emotional control over everyone. He is out there directing traffic. TVD does nothing. He looks the same after a pick as he does after a touchdown

True, but it's the unnecessary turnovers that have meant the difference between winning and losing the last two games.

Have to pull Jaden Davis off the field.

He’s becoming a central part of opposing teams game plans.
You don’t have to pull him off the field. He’s shown he can be valuable in subpackages playing a specific role. I don’t know how that gets used, by our coaches apparently, as evidence for him to play some *other* role. Put the guy as an inside defender in Nickel and Dime packages. Let him play zone and close downhill. There’s positive evidence of those plays. There isn’t the same positive evidence of him playing outside.

Advertisement
Back