This game is on Enos

I said this to my buddy watching the game .... Ran 2 straight half back blast up the middle got stuffed both times and said he playcalling like he's playing with bama players
His play calling definitely appealed to elite personnel which we do not have. Lots of wasted plays in the second half. He called the second half as if our oline was elite.

Advertisement
Agreed. Also, what stands out to me was the number of ridiculous penalties vs our offense (especially for delay of game). This is all on coaching. Also, they allowed 1 sack with their 4 new starters on their OL vs our supposed great defensive front. Conversely, they sacked us 10 times. Play calling sucked for much of the game (Enos). We’re going to lose a few games we’re expecting to breeze through.
Oh absolutely agreed. Enos is gonna need to scheme for our OL as well as the opposing D every game or it'll be a repeat of every other year. At the very least the team was much more interesting to watch than last year. And yeah, we were barely able to pressure Franks even when sending 5-6 guys it was pretty embarrassing. LOTS of issues for most of the coaches to clean up after game 1.

He is a good playcaller overall but choked and got caught in headlights last night. This isn’t exclusively the right scheme for our team because it’s made for a team with elite recruits and a high blue chip ratio especially across the oline.

That’s scheme is great and is not outdated, he just should’ve mixed it up calling more spread plays during the second half. The spread formations of his spread coast offense should have been our 2nd half adjustment. That’s would’ve caught UF for a loop. Mix RPOs and wildcat with that and have Jarren keep quite a few of them to keep the defense honest. The only RPO of the night was handed to Deejay for a loss in the red zone, but if Jarren would’ve kept it, running left, he would’ve scored easily.

A true spread limits the playbook where the spread coast when called right and timely keeps the defense off balance and guessing. We brought him in due to his ability to teach and mix these looks up during a game.

That same offense we saw last night is gonna burn most ACC opponents because our oline will be better able to block their ends opposed to UF’s NFL DEs. They will adjust too, and hopefully the moment won’t be too big for Enos to adjust as well when they do. The offense is fine. The playcalling in the second half was not. He didn’t adjust.
The “spread” in “spread coast” is mainly referring to what u do formation and concept wise. The “coast” part in “spread coast” is mainly referring to the passing game. A lot of spread offenses run a west coast passing game. Urban Meyer technically runs a spread coast. The difference is Urban puts much more emphasis on the “spread” part. Briles is the only coach in our conference that I can think of that runs a more vertical oriented passing game. Maybe Syracuse too.

I see no benefit in getting under center with this team in any situation, not even in short yardage. The analytics say spreading defenses out in those situations are more effective. I see no benefit in getting in a huddle.

Watch what FSU does this year and how big of a difference the right scheme can make. We both have the same amount of talent at the skill positions and we both have suspect olines.

The “spread” in “spread coast” is mainly referring to what u do formation and concept wise. The “coast” part in “spread coast” is mainly referring to the passing game. A lot of spread offenses run a west coast passing game. Urban Meyer technically runs a spread coast. The difference is Urban puts much more emphasis on the “spread” part. Briles is the only coach in our conference that I can think of that runs a more vertical oriented passing game. Maybe Syracuse too.

I see no benefit in getting under center with this team in any situation, not even in short yardage. The analytics say spreading defenses out in those situations are more effective. I see no benefit in getting in a huddle.

Watch what FSU does this year and how big of a difference the right scheme can make. We both have the same amount of talent at the skill positions and we both have suspect olines.

This is incorrect. You have definitely not coached or played in a spread coast, you dont even have the basics down sorry.

Advertisement

What offense does Briles run?

So u believe that our offensive identity should be spread, and that we should go shotgun formation exclusively as a football program going forward no matter what level of personnel our team has from year to year?

I agree that your 2nd paragraph should have been employed during the second half. But as an adjustment only not exclusively for our program going forward.

A lot of overreaction and I get it. I find it hard to understand how we didn’t start chipping or leaving more guys in to protect after, idk, sack 5? My biggest issue is we did nothing to stress them vertically on the inside of the field. The one time we did we got a TD. It was very uneven, but I think I’m more angry about personnel deployment and lack of willingness to help an overmatched tackle

Biggest issue I have. We have 4 TEs. Chip out of the ACE - freeze their LBs - and then make them cover. Enos didn’t help the tackles down the stretch. We could have protected JDub 50x better with certain play-calling. Can’t be stubborn.

One thing is certain....we should spend the majority of the game in shotgun.

Let's see if Enos is as stubborn as his predecessors were or if he actually adapts. You HAVE to move Scaife back to tackle and turn the offense into a predominately shotgun offense. Any coach with half a brain makes those two adjustments.

Advertisement
OK, let me address the Enos bashing. People acted like Richt was the worst OC to ever call a play. Sorry. He wasn't. Playcalling isn't the mystical elixir many of our "experts" claim it is. It doesn't turn your O line into All Americans overnight. Also, Enos doesn't have magical powers. We still have guys who struggle to hang on to the ball. Lastly, let me put a bullet in this one. No, an "average" offense vs. our "abysmal" is not "all we need to dominate."

Cool it is his first start, does it make you feel better to say that? He still looked lost. When a guy can’t get rid of the ball he is isn’t ready.
Please explain to me wtf u saw he was lost mane? Please stop. The kid looked poised and did what he had to do move on to the next play. Including the fact that he didn’t force and any **** throws bruh. I’m all in on JW15 Til proven otherwise

Advertisement
What offense does Briles run?

So u believe that our offensive identity should be spread, and that we should go shotgun formation exclusively as a football program going forward no matter what level of personnel our team has from year to year?

I agree that your 2nd paragraph should have been employed during the second half. But as an adjustment only not exclusively for our program going forward.
Why not? Scoring points isn't a bad thing. When he was at Houston that's what they did.

Face it Penos is the new Dorito. Stubborn coach who makes no adjustments. No five receiver threat to spread the defense, no TE to help the left tackle, no innovation. We now have a Penos coordinating the offense.

How Manny got the job over Mike Leach is incomprehensible.

Advertisement
Why not? Scoring points isn't a bad thing. When he was at Houston that's what they did.
Houston doesn’t play UF in openers, let alone an ACC schedule annually. The Big 12 has spreads all over the conference, but what happens when they play bowl games against other conference teams? When was the last time an *exclusively* spread offense won a NC?

OK, let me address the Enos bashing. People acted like Richt was the worst OC to ever call a play. Sorry. He wasn't. Playcalling isn't the mystical elixir many of our "experts" claim it is. It doesn't turn your O line into All Americans overnight. Also, Enos doesn't have magical powers. We still have guys who struggle to hang on to the ball. Lastly, let me put a bullet in this one. No, an "average" offense vs. our "abysmal" is not "all we need to dominate."
I hear your point and not trying to dismiss it but I witnessed a magical elixir just last season with the Cleveland Browns. The Browns statistically had the worst oline in the NFL thru 8 games until the head coach and OC were fired and the RB coach Freddie Kinchens was made interim OC. Under Kinchens playcalling and scheming the Browns finished the season (last 8 games) as one of the best olines in the NFL statistically. Our OTs were horrible especially the LT, but Kinchens helped and hid their deficiencies while accentuating their strengths.

I noticed Kitchens playcalling talent during the 3rd preseason games where the opposing team was miffed about where the play was going as Kinchens toyed with them. This audition and the last 8 games turnaround earned him his promotion to HC.

A good OC is a magician. We should not lower our expectations of Enos. He expects perfection from our players so he should be accountable to it as well. He’ll get better, I believe in him.

Rule of thumb is to stand at the 10 but players tend to drift to the 7. Should have caught it but he wasn’t wrong for being in that spot

What? Anything inside the 10 should not be fielded. There is no logic in it, whatsoever.
Terrible play even attempting that.

I hear your point and not trying to dismiss it but I witnessed a magical elixir just last season with the Cleveland Browns. The Browns statistically had the worst oline in the NFL thru 8 games until the head coach and OC were fired and the RB coach Freddie Kinchens was made interim OC. Under Kinchens playcalling and scheming the Browns finished the season (last 8 games) as one of the best olines in the NFL statistically. Our OTs were horrible especially the LT, but Kinchens helped and hid their deficiencies while accentuating their strengths.

I noticed Kitchens playcalling talent during the 3rd preseason games where the opposing team was miffed about where the play was going as Kinchens toyed with them. This audition and the last 8 games turnaround earned him his promotion to HC.

A good OC is a magician. We should not lower our expectations of Enos. He expects perfection from our players so he should be accountable to it as well. He’ll get better, I believe in him.

Good post

Advertisement
Back