This game is all about the coaches!

Advertisement
it is a lot more nuanced than what the OP opines.

what happens if the coaches make all of the right calls but the players don´t execute?

Example 1. Miami v. OK St in last year's bowl game. Kosi throws a beautiful pass and hits Pope in the stomach and Pope drops the ball and Miami loses the game. Is the drop on the coaches?

Example 2.. Same game. Tunnel screen to Wiggins, Wide open field. Touchdown is likely. He drops the ball. Miami called the right play at the right time. Coaches fault?

So the game depends on both coaches AND the players actually executing.
If players are not executing then it’s the coaches job to hold them accountable and remove them from the equation until they find a solution. So to answer your questions, yes, at the end, it’s the coaches fault for playing players who dropped those passes or didn’t team then how to catch a ball. It’s not like they haven’t witnessed this before from those players. Fast forward 8 months later, those same players aren’t in the 1st nor 2nd teams. Too little, too late.

On the surface Bill O'Brien has a beyond impressive resume for a college coordinator but I think as an actual offensive mind he's a corch and always has been a corch. Advantage Lashlee. Double advantage Lashlee that this is O'Brien's first game and he has a young untested QB wheras Miami's QB turns 30 next month.
ok, but it is not offense v offense. their offense plays against our defense

If players are not executing then it’s the coaches job to hold them accountable and remove them from the equation until they find a solution. So to answer your questions, yes, at the end, it’s the coaches fault for playing players who dropped those passes or didn’t team then how to catch a ball. It’s not like they haven’t witnessed this before from those players. Fast forward 8 months later, those same players aren’t in the 1st nor 2nd teams. Too little, too late.
ok, good point re Pope and Wiggins (i purposeful chose those examples)? but how about King. He missed 3-5 deep ball throws last year that could have gone for touchdowns.

right call, right blocking scheme, right timing, right everything but King overthrew the ball. you can't argue that King wasn't the best quarterback we had and that he didn't deserve to be on the field.

coaches fault?

ok, good point re Pope and Wiggins (i purposeful chose those examples)? but how about King. He missed 3-5 deep ball throws last year that could have gone for touchdowns.

right call, right blocking scheme, right timing, right everything but King overthrew the ball. you can't argue that King wasn't the best quarterback we had and that he didn't deserve to be on the field.

coaches fault?
No.

Advertisement
ok, but it is not offense v offense. their offense plays against our defense
Absolutely. I'm just playing along with the premise of the thread and making the comparison in a quasi vacuum. Kinda like how shows will compare QBs head to head and say which team has the advantage at that position.

I never said that we should win. I think we will lose. That's not my point though. I simply said that we have the pieces in place on both sides of the ball to have success, especially on offense. In my opinion, if we get totally shut down on offense, considering the pieces we have in place and the inherent advantage that offense has relative to defense in this sport these days, that blame largely falls on the coaching staff. Regardless of the talent advantage and all the other advantages that Bama has, we should not be getting largely shut down. Elite scheming and play calling, combined with the talent, depth and experience we have on the offensive side of the ball, should result in us putting up a respectable amount of points. If that doesn't happen, that's on Lashlee.

Historically, which side of the ball takes longer to get untracked during the season? Which side of the ball usually takes a few games to get rolling?

The game has changed, and also, that normally doesn't apply when you have a 2-deep full of experienced vets.

The game has changed? What does that even mean? Are you saying offenses don’t usually need a few games to really get going?

And then you add: “that normally doesn't apply when you have a 2-deep full of experienced vets”. I’d like for you to analyze that statement with respect to Miami vs Alabama. It’s almost bizarre in relation to Miami if you actually do a roster analysis.

You’re literally making this up as you go along because you already have a pre-conceived result in mind. You made it clear in your OP.

You’re setting this game up as the fall game for Lashlee and a foundation for your already preconceived Lashlee season long take down campaign. Or did I read too much into it? Because it sure seems that way to me. Seems like you just set an agenda.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I believe we can win this game, it will be a roller coaster ride if ever the FOCUS was ever needed in Cane history YES Cane history it is game.

We must focused every second if not the quick trap or check off flag pattern we hit us.

Make big play, jog back to huddle
Score flip the ball to the referee jogging off field
If BAMA spits in your face jog back to huddle
If they cheap shot you and referee watching ignore jog back to huddle.

FOCUS IN ALL THINGS TILL WERE IMPREGNABLE.

We do this WE WIN 🙌🙌🙌

Thrn at press conference say.

We wanted to be aggressive we executed of game plan and we’ll enjoy this win tonight and prepare for our next opponent.

NEVER EVER MENTIONED THE TEAM YOU BEAT IT OVER DONE WITH.

Let the loser DEAL with explaining WINNERS don’t need to do anything but WIN

GOCANES

The game has changed? What does that even mean? Are you saying offenses don’t usually need a few games to really get going?

And then you add: “that normally doesn't apply when you have a 2-deep full of experienced vets”. I’d like for you to analyze that statement with respect to Miami vs Alabama. It’s almost bizarre in relation to Miami if you actually do a roster analysis.

You’re literally making this up as you go along because you already have a pre-conceived result in mind. You made it clear in your OP.

You’re setting this game up as the fall game for Lashlee and a foundation for your already preconceived Lashlee season long take down campaign. Or did I read too much into it? Because it sure seems that way to me. Seems like you just set an agenda.
You read WAY too much into it. I simply believe there is no excuse for not putting up a respectable amount of points. I'm not expecting us to light the world on fire. I realize who we are playing. I just think that with the pieces we have in place, and even against an elite defense, an elite OC will find a way to put points on the board. I'd like to see something like 21+ non-garbage time points scored by this offense (excluding any defensive scores). That would be respectable to me and prove that Lashlee is who we think he is. If we can somehow put up 30+ non-garbage time points, we should give Lashlee the farm. But if we can't score 21 points on offense with what we've got, that would tell me that Lashlee isn't the OC we thought.

You read WAY too much into it. I simply believe there is no excuse for not putting up a respectable amount of points. I'm not expecting us to light the world on fire. I realize who we are playing. I just think that with the pieces we have in place, and even against an elite defense, an elite OC will find a way to put points on the board. I'd like to see something like 21+ non-garbage time points scored by this offense (excluding any defensive scores). That would be respectable to me and prove that Lashlee is who we think he is. If we can somehow put up 30+ non-garbage time points, we should give Lashlee the farm. But if we can't score 21 points on offense with what we've got, that would tell me that Lashlee isn't the OC we thought.

You were doing so well until that last sentence.

And then, your agenda emerges. After one game if we don’t score 21 points he’s not the guy? That’s your premise. I was right all along.

Infinitesimally small chance we win, but if we do I’m gonna be rubbing in your face you’ll never hear the end of it
Never hear the end, kind of like how we never hear the end of his same **** post over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.............................................

Advertisement
You were doing so well until that last sentence.

And then, your agenda emerges. After one game if we don’t score 21 points he’s not the guy? That’s your premise. I was right all along.
You are a serious conspiracy theorist, am I right?

My personal opinion is that the jury is out on Lashlee. I saw enough last year that really makes me question how good of an OC he really is, but I'm willing to hold off on judging, given the circumstances he was faced with last year. This season, and this game in particular, are going to go a long way for me in determining whether some of the things I saw last year were the result of the circumstances or the result of him as an OC. He needs to show up on Saturday because that's really the only high-quality defense we are going to face the entire regular season. Putting up points on the rest of our schedule isn't really going to tell me all that much (short of just going nuts and average 42+ per game). I want to see whether he can find a way to put up points on an elite team like Bama, because that's what elite OCs do.

Now, if he falls short of my expectations on Saturday, he may get a chance to redeem himself, if we can find a way to win our Division and get a shot at Clemson in the ACCCG where he would have another opportunity to prove it against a high-quality defense.

I'm not the type of poster that comes on here bashing coaches regardless.

You are a serious conspiracy theorist, am I right?

My personal opinion is that the jury is out on Lashlee. I saw enough last year that really makes me question how good of an OC he really is, but I'm willing to hold off on judging, given the circumstances he was faced with last year. This season, and this game in particular, are going to go a long way for me in determining whether some of the things I saw last year were the result of the circumstances or the result of him as an OC. He needs to show up on Saturday because that's really the only high-quality defense we are going to face the entire regular season. Putting up points on the rest of our schedule isn't really going to tell me all that much (short of just going nuts and average 42+ per game). I want to see whether he can find a way to put up points on an elite team like Bama, because that's what elite OCs do.

Now, if he falls short of my expectations on Saturday, he may get a chance to redeem himself, if we can find a way to win our Division and get a shot at Clemson in the ACCCG where he would have another opportunity to prove it against a high-quality defense.

I'm not the type of poster that comes on here bashing coaches regardless.

No not a conspiracy theorist, but I evaluate people all day long, and one of the worst things you can do is rush to judgment on someone or have a preconceived notion before results are in.

You already have a preconceived notion that you’re setting up after THE FIRST GAME.

That’s setting an agenda.

No not a conspiracy theorist, but I evaluate people all day long, and one of the worst things you can do is rush to judgment on someone or have a preconceived notion before results are in.

You already have a preconceived notion that you’re setting up after THE FIRST GAME.

That’s setting an agenda.
When evaluating performance, you have to set benchmarks based on your best judgment. That's standard practice. Based on my view of the roster, especially the offense, and taking into consideration the results we saw last year, I'm setting a benchmark for evaluation of Lashlee's performance in this game. That's not setting an agenda, that's simply setting a standard.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back