This game is all about the coaches!

I get what you are saying but just to play devils advocate, the coaches put them boys on the field no matter how many drops they had, if coaches know they suck and still put them on field, it is what it is.. On offense we seem to have fixed it but we will see how super seniors on defense perform in their new spots
ok, good point re Pope and Wiggins (i purposeful chose those examples)? but how about King. He missed 3-5 deep ball throws last year that could have gone for touchdowns.

right call, right blocking scheme, right timing, right everything but King overthrew the ball. you can't argue that King wasn't the best quarterback we had and that he didn't deserve to be on the field.

coaches fault?

Advertisement
What you have here is a contrast in philosophy. You have one school who cares about its football program (bammer) and one that kinda does but not really (Miami). Diaz is trying but even he's handicapped by this trash administration.

He wouldn't be the head coach if this school took the coaching search process serious instead of hiring a yes man who they could control and not be bigger than the school itself like JJ did.

I'm willing to bet Miami's AD is secretly hoping Miami loses so the football program doesn't cast a huge shadow over the rest of the university who they really wasn't to be Harvard south. BTW, Miami has the worst AD in the NCAA.

But anyways yea, this game will see where maimi stands as a coaching staff and if they can create and take advantage of mismatches, if there are any on all levels. They aren't unbeatable and if the coaches can show the way the players will follow.

What a heaping pile of stupidity

Advertisement
Well they actually have better players than Miami. How do you overcome that? With great coaching, and we have Manny an crew.

They only other way is if the better players play like crap. Or are so over confident they don't concentrate.

So about +18.5 is about right.

ok, good point re Pope and Wiggins (i purposeful chose those examples)? but how about King. He missed 3-5 deep ball throws last year that could have gone for touchdowns.

right call, right blocking scheme, right timing, right everything but King overthrew the ball. you can't argue that King wasn't the best quarterback we had and that he didn't deserve to be on the field.

coaches fault?
Some players build up enough goodwill where you rock with them, warts and all.. I agree players are the ones on field but coaches always have a direct influence on things.. whether their coaching practices, schemes, biases, favoritism, etc.

On the surface Bill O'Brien has a beyond impressive resume for a college coordinator but I think as an actual offensive mind he's a corch and always has been a corch. Advantage Lashlee. Double advantage Lashlee that this is O'Brien's first game and he has a young untested QB wheras Miami's QB turns 30 next month.

Last edited:
In my opinion, this game, more than any game in recent memory, is all about the coaching, specifically the coordinators. This game is going to tell us a lot about just how good of an offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is, and same for Manny as a DC (but maybe to a lesser extent). On offense in particular, we have all the pieces in place to be able to move the ball and score points on any defense in college football. We have one of the most experienced offensive lines in college football
I had to stop there - If this offensive line was going to be something special, it should have happened last year - it certainly didn't; finishing in the bottom quarter in giving up sacs and rushing offense. You can't coordinate an offense very well with a line that finished like that. Now maybe with some change this season they final show up. But I'm waiting to see it, and we will right away.

Advertisement
Well they actually have better players than Miami. How do you overcome that? With great coaching, and we have Manny an crew.

They only other way is if the better players play like crap. Or are so over confident they don't concentrate.

So about +18.5 is about right.

When the oddsmakers got together to handicap this game, this diamond grade logic is almost verbatim how they reached their initial line.

I agree.

Saban vs Manny.

Say that phrase out loud and tell me what you think the outcome will be. And don’t forget, this is a Saban with 7 months to prepare, and a Saban that loves to recruit S. Florida, so he’ll want to make a statement to recruits.

Also, don’t forget, Butch beat Manny with an FIU squad
Stretching Work Out GIF by TCO

I agree.

Saban vs Manny.

Say that phrase out loud and tell me what you think the outcome will be. And don’t forget, this is a Saban with 7 months to prepare, and a Saban that loves to recruit S. Florida, so he’ll want to make a statement to recruits.

Also, don’t forget, Butch beat Manny with an FIU squad
Bam. BooYah!

Advertisement
I had to stop there - If this offensive line was going to be something special, it should have happened last year - it certainly didn't; finishing in the bottom quarter in giving up sacs and rushing offense. You can't coordinate an offense very well with a line that finished like that. Now maybe with some change this season they final show up. But I'm waiting to see it, and we will right away.
Disagree. Donaldson is healthy and is finally in shape. He does have a lot of starts. A more athletic, bigger guard in Rivers is replacing Clark. Scaife is in his natural position and beat out a guy with a ton of starts.

Bama has a support staff like NASA Mission Control. They know every player on the opposing team and assign a head coach to track each movement in his career. They practically have the entire Miami playbook memorized by half time.
The have insane depth on their roster.
This goes beyond who is calling plays.

Disagree. Donaldson is healthy and is finally in shape. He does have a lot of starts. A more athletic, bigger guard in Rivers is replacing Clark. Scaife is in his natural position and beat out a guy with a ton of starts.
I hope you're right with the first two, I was pretty high on Scaife 2 years ago, but gosh watching him play at times last season.

Advertisement
Lol this is not about coaches. It’s about programs and money. One one side you have the greatest college coach in history but that’s only the start. His staff is filled with elite coaches. Two NFL HEAD COACHES from last season are new assistants on the offense for Bama. This is 14 years of elite program building.

This is the haves vs the have nots. “We have the players” lol Bama has guys we missed on during recruiting at 3rd string.

Can we win? Sure if the stars align. But stop this crap

I never said that we should win. I think we will lose. That's not my point though. I simply said that we have the pieces in place on both sides of the ball to have success, especially on offense. In my opinion, if we get totally shut down on offense, considering the pieces we have in place and the inherent advantage that offense has relative to defense in this sport these days, that blame largely falls on the coaching staff. Regardless of the talent advantage and all the other advantages that Bama has, we should not be getting largely shut down. Elite scheming and play calling, combined with the talent, depth and experience we have on the offensive side of the ball, should result in us putting up a respectable amount of points. If that doesn't happen, that's on Lashlee.

it is a lot more nuanced than what the OP opines.

what happens if the coaches make all of the right calls but the players don´t execute?

Example 1. Miami v. OK St in last year's bowl game. Kosi throws a beautiful pass and hits Pope in the stomach and Pope drops the ball and Miami loses the game. Is the drop on the coaches?

Example 2.. Same game. Tunnel screen to Wiggins, Wide open field. Touchdown is likely. He drops the ball. Miami called the right play at the right time. Coaches fault?

So the game depends on both coaches AND the players actually executing.
Bingo!!!!

I never said that we should win. I think we will lose. That's not my point though. I simply said that we have the pieces in place on both sides of the ball to have success, especially on offense. In my opinion, if we get totally shut down on offense, considering the pieces we have in place and the inherent advantage that offense has relative to defense in this sport these days, that blame largely falls on the coaching staff. Regardless of the talent advantage and all the other advantages that Bama has, we should not be getting largely shut down. Elite scheming and play calling, combined with the talent, depth and experience we have on the offensive side of the ball, should result in us putting up a respectable amount of points. If that doesn't happen, that's on Lashlee.
Reasonable points made.

Advertisement
Back