This board would like to know more about Jaquan Johnson

KrazyCane

SAVAGE
Banned
How has he looked headed to this upcoming season? Does it look like he can have a break out year?

Advertisement
Looking for him to have a solid year and build on what he did last year in which he had 38 tackles 1.5 sacks 3 tackles for loss and 1 int. While not listed as a starter he played starter type minutes in most games so he's very experienced

Looking for him to have a solid year and build on what he did last year in which he had 38 tackles 1.5 sacks 3 tackles for loss and 1 int. While not listed as a starter he played starter type minutes in most games so he's very experienced

Yes but this will be the 1st time that he is expected to carry the load at SS. I'm wondering how he has looked playing strong safety permanently for us this year?

A lot of the buzz seems to be about Sheldrick Redwine's transition to FS. But I would think Jaquan Johnson is expected to be the star player back there for us or could Redwine possibly out shine him this season?

I wish he and redwine would swap positions. Move Redwine to SS and move JJ to FS----he's a rangy, very instinctive player.

I think JJ is going to have a huge year

Advertisement
I don't expect some huge upgrade over J. Carter.
Nor do I think Redwine will be better than Jenkins.

They'll both be solid but unspectacular. Neither are great athletes.

This is going to be down voted but he's right. They're both solid starters that will do fine, but don't expect any first round talent years

OK. No one bites me for this one, but when he came out of high school and I saw his tape, the first thing to come to my mind was Ed Reed. If he can even be half of that we'll be ok in the secondary.

I like the fact that these guys know each other so well. Communitcation in the secondary is very important. These guys are high school teamates, roomates, & 3 year college teamates. Both will be 4 year players. Both will stick their nose in & be physical out there. I'm confident they will play well together.

Advertisement
OK. No one bites me for this one, but when he came out of high school and I saw his tape, the first thing to come to my mind was Ed Reed. If he can even be half of that we'll be ok in the secondary.

That was the common consensus when he committed. He's a solid player who won't make too many mistakes but won't pop off the screen either, nothing more to it.

I like the fact that these guys know each other so well. Communitcation in the secondary is very important. These guys are high school teamates, roomates, & 3 year college teamates. Both will be 4 year players. Both will stick their nose in & be physical out there. I'm confident they will play well together.

I hope so. Just don't miss any fvckin tackles!!

I swear the last decade has made me skittish.

You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Advertisement

You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Last edited:
I wish he and redwine would swap positions. Move Redwine to SS and move JJ to FS----he's a rangy, very instinctive player.

I think JJ is going to have a huge year

I think Jaquan has limited range in space.... Thats not always knock bc he makes up for his limitations with great instincts, physicality and playmaking. Redwine bc of his length and time at cb is a better fit at the FS position imo.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Lmao!!! What ?!?!?

Advertisement

I hope so. Just don't miss any fvckin tackles!!

I swear the last decade has made me skittish.

If we tackle the way we did last year or better then we should be in for a heck of a year defensively. Best tackling team i've seen from the U in awhile was last year.

Carter and Jenkins were 2 our top 3 solo tacklers in 2016, but the homers on this board would have you believe that Jaquan and Redwine will be better than Reed and Taylor.

I can't count the number of times I saw Carter in the wrong spot. He was a physical monster (and mental midget/in the wrong position or reading the play incorrectly).

Advertisement
Back