This board would like to know more about Jaquan Johnson

I don't expect some huge upgrade over J. Carter.
Nor do I think Redwine will be better than Jenkins.

They'll both be solid but unspectacular. Neither are great athletes.

agree......I like JJ but Jobe and Hall r miami type safeties.

Advertisement
Jaquan is 10x the safety of Carter. Carter made 1 play and it was against Florida A&M I think. I'll never be able to get past Jenkins' effort against Cinncinnati. That was the most pathetic attempt at a tackle in the history of football. JJ will be one of our defensive leaders this year and not just from vocal leadership stand point, it will be by example also.

Go Canes!

Jaquan is 10x the safety of Carter. Carter made 1 play and it was against Florida A&M I think. I'll never be able to get past Jenkins' effort against Cinncinnati. That was the most pathetic attempt at a tackle in the history of football. JJ will be one of our defensive leaders this year and not just from vocal leadership stand point, it will be by example also.

Go Canes!

Jenkins was pretty good and rangy and being vocal doesnt make u run fast...........I like JJ but im used to miami safeties when i grew up...........Speeeeed..........I think JJ will have a good year but im already waiting for jobe and hall to take it to the next level.

Go Canes!

Lol at 10x the safety of Carter... Jaquan Johnson played nickel bc the coaches saw Jamal Carter was a better strong safety.

Y'all keep talking about he was out of place like some fckn coaches who have a clue where he shouldve been on any play??

Yes he whiffed and missed on some plays... WHO DIDNT!?

If he was that bad and Jaquan was that good, Carter would've never saw the field outside of special teams and mop up duty...

Jamal Carter was one of the leaders in tackles on the team. Jaquan had 38 tackles to Jamals 80 plus??? Get serious.

He wasnt one of the greats for us but his last year was one of the more productive seasons that we have had in awhile at that position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Jaquan was that good he would've been starting over Carter, and they would've found someone else to play the nickel.

Jaquan was very valuable last season, and he'll be among the leaders in tackles but if he was truly 10x the safety Carter is then that probably would've been reflected in the depth chart.

Jaquan Johnson is 10x better than he needs to be an all conference player for us this season. I think he has potential to be better than Jamal Carter but this will be his 1st year to either be better or show that he has potential to be.

If Jaquan was that good he would've been starting over Carter, and they would've found someone else to play the nickel.

Jaquan was very valuable last season, and he'll be among the leaders in tackles but if he was truly 10x the safety Carter is then that probably would've been reflected in the depth chart.

Dammit im siding with my guy rok on a subject for once.

You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Wheel route to Cook against FSU he blew the coverage which completely changed the game.

Couldn't recover a fumble right in front of him against Notre Dame.

Make those 2 plays and we have 2 more wins last year.

Advertisement

You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Wheel route to Cook against FSU he blew the coverage which completely changed the game.

More plays were blown against FSU then that one play... I saw a number of plays that decided the FSU game just the same.

The Notre Dame fumble was a whiff, **** happens again that play wasnt the only one that decided the game.

giphy.gif

And I'm not trying to cape for Carter like he was great for us but he played much better than this board gives him credit for. Y'all act like he played like Vaughn Telemaque KC Rogers, or Alonzo Highsmith jr lol

JJ was given a lot of responsibility early in the year at nickel which definitely effected his reps at safety. His pick against FSU was huge. He did a great job reading the QB and for the first time in many years a Canes DB made a play when we really needed it. Killed FSU momentum and lead t our first TD of the game. With his focus purely on safety I expect more plays to come. Maybe 10x is aggressive, but we'll see after his season playing just safety.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
And I'm not trying to cape for Carter like he was great for us but he played much better than this board gives him credit for. Y'all act like he played like Vaughn Telemaque KC Rogers, or Alonzo Highsmith jr lol

dont remind me lol

might be my favorite player on the team. love his passion for the game. dont know about pro career, but he'll have a better college career than jenkins/carter, and be one of the team leaders on our 2018 national title run

Advertisement
I like Carter because he was a good Cane. But Jaquan is a much better football player than he is. Not even close. He's smaller and might not run as fast in a straight line, but he's a better player.

JJ is a much better athlete than Jamal Carter. The fact that he was the nickle CB last season should answer any coverage questions. Carter was a linebacker playing in the defensive backfield. Stiff and one dimensional. He was an upgrade over some of the garbage we had previously trotted out at safety but our standards should be higher than "at least he was better than AJ Highsmith".

JJ is a much better athlete than Jamal Carter. The fact that he was the nickle CB last season should answer any coverage questions. Carter was a linebacker playing in the defensive backfield. Stiff and one dimensional. He was an upgrade over some of the garbage we had previously trotted out at safety but our standards should be higher than "at least he was better than AJ Highsmith".

Yes.

JJ lined up at multiple positions and played them well. Dude was a Swiss Army knife. He's a well rounded football player. I see him as quite a big upgrade.

Carter was a one trick pony that F'd up quite a bit. If I had a dollar for every time I saw him get abused in space. Me and the poster "FlipT" was always texting our frustrations at JC's horrible angles. Or blown assignments.

I think Jamal was partly the victim of an incompetent defensive scheme led by an incompetent defensive coordinator. You've seen it before, guys having a crappy career under golden even though they are talented enough to make it to the league, i.e. Allen Hurns, Anthony chickollo, ect. Talented guys who were not very well coached which explains some of the lapses J.C. has on the field.

Advertisement
Back