This board would like to know more about Jaquan Johnson

Is the free safety talk based on his HS career?

The reason I ask is because he's played close to the LOS a lot through two seasons and has excelled, but he hasn't proven to be a rangy safety with elite ball skills so I'm not sure why folks are saying that.

Advertisement
When comparing JJ to Carter - I think we're trading instincts for physicality. JJ should be better in coverage, but not as effective in run support. Both are just decent athletes.

My main worry is JJ/Redwine are both quite a bit smaller than Jenkins/Carter.

Is the free safety talk based on his HS career?

The reason I ask is because he's played close to the LOS a lot through two seasons and has excelled, but he hasn't proven to be a rangy safety with elite ball skills so I'm not sure why folks are saying that.

As physical as he is, JJ is a bit undersized to be a SS. Amari Carter has the more traditional SS build.

Last year JJ was moved around so much that it was hard to get a real good look at his range and ball skills. Although (as you said) not elite, I would argue that J is at least as good as Redwine in these categories.

I think he was moved around more out of necessity last year - he was often our best option as the nickel. This year we should have the luxury of putting him in the best position to succeed.

I'd be intrigued to see JJ at FS if Carter proves he's ready.

I like Redwine, he's proven to be a good tackler in space and can cover if needed but Carter is just a head hunter.

Advertisement
I'd be intrigued to see JJ at FS if Carter proves he's ready.

I like Redwine, he's proven to be a good tackler in space and can cover if needed but Carter is just a head hunter.

Carter and JJ is what I am looking forward to, as well

When comparing JJ to Carter - I think we're trading instincts for physicality. JJ should be better in coverage, but not as effective in run support. Both are just decent athletes.

My main worry is JJ/Redwine are both quite a bit smaller than Jenkins/Carter.

That last part is what I was thinking about Jenkins and Carter both did a very good job as a duo in just bringing an enforcement type of presence at their positions.

Amari Carter is next up in that category and will get in the rotation to mix it up as well though. But I don't think it would be fair to ask for two first year players at the safety position as juniors to play on the level or exceed what two seniors in Rayshawn and Jamal brought to the table last season

We will be glad to have both back as seniors the next season though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back