This board would like to know more about Jaquan Johnson

I don't expect some huge upgrade over J. Carter.
Nor do I think Redwine will be better than Jenkins.

They'll both be solid but unspectacular. Neither are great athletes.
You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Wheel route to Cook against FSU he blew the coverage which completely changed the game.

Couldn't recover a fumble right in front of him against Notre Dame.

Make those 2 plays and we have 2 more wins last year.

More plays were blown against FSU then that one play... I saw a number of plays that decided the FSU game just the same.

The Notre Dame fumble was a whiff, **** happens again that play wasnt the only one that decided the game.

What Tweed is trying to say is that we need PLAYMAKERS back there again. Its great Carter was a physical presence, great senior leader and what he did pregame at the coin toss against FSU got that crowd so hyped I cant remember it being that hype since we left the OB..But we need some guys back there are arent going to botch that scoop and score against ND, who arent going to miss that Cook assignment, etc....That guy is JJ. He is a playmaker. And that is why most people agree he will be an upgrade over Carter including me.

Advertisement
You're crazy, watch how their play opens up the rest of the D to play more freely. **** most of the big plays last year came from Carter having zero awareness.

Lol did yall watch the games.... first we rarely had any big plays through the air against this defense. Most were against Redwine though bc of his lack of speed for a cb.

Jamal Carter was usually one of the 1st ones to the ball. He was very good for us as a strong safety for us last year especially in run support. And I can't recall when he was ever exposed constantly in the vertical passing game either.

Wheel route to Cook against FSU he blew the coverage which completely changed the game.

More plays were blown against FSU then that one play... I saw a number of plays that decided the FSU game just the same.

The Notre Dame fumble was a whiff, **** happens again that play wasnt the only one that decided the game.

What Tweed is trying to say is that we need PLAYMAKERS back there again. Its great Carter was a physical presence, great senior leader and what he did pregame at the coin toss against FSU got that crowd so hyped I cant remember it being that hype since we left the OB..But we need some guys back there are arent going to botch that scoop and score against ND, who arent going to miss that Cook assignment, etc....That guy is JJ. He is a playmaker. And that is why most people agree he will be an upgrade over Carter including me.

He has to be an upgrade over JC I mean come on, the real upgrades come next season though.

I just hope we have the same level of production combined between Jaquan and Redwine as we did with Rayshawn and Jamal back there.

Even if it comes with whiffs and mistakes it won't be a handicap regardless bc of how solid the rest of the defense already is....

I was hoping Jaquan would be a guaranteed upgrade but It doest seem like i should expect that from him at least this season anyway.

I just hope we have the same level of production combined between Jaquan and Redwine as we did with Rayshawn and Jamal back there.

Even if it comes with whiffs and mistakes it won't be a handicap regardless bc of how solid the rest of the defense already is....

I was hoping Jaquan would be a guaranteed upgrade but It doest seem like i should expect that from him at least this season anyway.

Ill take a few whiffs here and there if he can get me 5+ turnovers which I think JJ can. (INT, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, etc) We will need those types of game changing plays. Thats something Carter could never bring to the table. Much respect to him though. He came to UM during a time when it wasnt the cool thing to do. Could have easily went to LSU but decided to stay and get this program back in the right direction.

Ill take a few whiffs here and there if he can get me 5+ turnovers which I think JJ can. (INT, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, etc) We will need those types of game changing plays. Thats something Carter could never bring to the table. Much respect to him though. He came to UM during a time when it wasnt the cool thing to do. Could have easily went to LSU but decided to stay and get this program back in the right direction.

Carter was slightly above average at forcing fumbles. Terrible hands, dropped a couple easy INT's plus that fumble was an easy catch as mentioned above. He was out of position from being slow, but how much faster is JJ?

Advertisement
People seem to have a really hard time admitting that JJ is just average athletically. It is what it is. Lets see what he can do in a larger role.

i believe Jaquan was one of the few players who made First team All Dade football all four years of high school. hope that talent shows out in college.

Jaquan is 10x the safety of Carter. Carter made 1 play and it was against Florida A&M I think. I'll never be able to get past Jenkins' effort against Cinncinnati. That was the most pathetic attempt at a tackle in the history of football. JJ will be one of our defensive leaders this year and not just from vocal leadership stand point, it will be by example also.

Go Canes!

Lol at 10x the safety of Carter... Jaquan Johnson played nickel bc the coaches saw Jamal Carter was a better strong safety.

Y'all keep talking about he was out of place like some fckn coaches who have a clue where he shouldve been on any play??

Yes he whiffed and missed on some plays... WHO DIDNT!?

If he was that bad and Jaquan was that good, Carter would've never saw the field outside of special teams and mop up duty...

Jamal Carter was one of the leaders in tackles on the team. Jaquan had 38 tackles to Jamals 80 plus??? Get serious.

He wasnt one of the greats for us but his last year was one of the more productive seasons that we have had in awhile at that position.

lol, the guy was always out of position, dropping INTs, droppin fumbles

he's big but the problem is he has no instincts

miami safeties don't not make plays which is exactly what he did

People seem to have a really hard time admitting that JJ is just average athletically. It is what it is. Lets see what he can do in a larger role.

He's not that physically gifted, however some of the best safety's aren't. Give me an average athlete that has good instincts and is smart. JJ may not be the fastest guy but reading a play and being in a good position for a tackle or int can be a bigger asset than speed. I'll take a guy who may not make the spectacle play but won't give it up either.

Advertisement
Any of you who refuse to hear that he might not be the next Sean Taylor think he'll make all-acc?

Show some respect to my boy Jamal Carter definitely wasnt scared to mix it up with anybody.

I think Jaquan Johnson has more potential to be a better playmaker but we might miss Jamal Carter's physicality and consistency making the open field tackle.

[video=youtube_share;gVWKffz71-Y]https://youtu.be/gVWKffz71-Y[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't expect some huge upgrade over J. Carter.
Nor do I think Redwine will be better than Jenkins.

They'll both be solid but unspectacular. Neither are great athletes.

Carter looked like Tarzan and I wont go as far as to say he played like Jane(to his credit he was physical), but he had some real defiencies in his game. I still remember him blowing a cover-two against Pitt that went for like a 75 yard TD. He was a physical specimen but I never got the sense he had a great football IQ - which is where I think Johnson thrives. I look forward to him getting more snaps this season...

Last edited:
I think we'll see more INT's with Johnson back there, than Carter. He baited Francois into that INT last year, and could see him doing more of the same this year. He's physical enough that Diaz moved him up into a rover-type position.

I think we'll see more INT's with Johnson back there, than Carter. He baited Francois into that INT last year, and could see him doing more of the same this year. He's physical enough that Diaz moved him up into a rover-type position.

Wasn't Francois

Advertisement
JJ is pretty good, and Redwine was solid on defense last year. I think we'll be better at safety this season.

JJ is a good, instinctive football player. Very physical, which I imagine is why he is playing SS, when it appears to most that FS might be a better fit.

He is plenty fast enough to cover a TE and most RBs from the SS position.

He missed some tackles in that highlight clip above, but for the most part he was a very solid tackler. Seems like he is always in position to make the tackle, even when he missed it.

The blocked FG shows his athleticism.

I think he is 100% an upgrade over JC. And that is more a testament to JJ than it is a knock on JC.

Advertisement
Back