Things I've envisioned for this time next week (UF Game)

Advertisement
Florida in year two of Mullen's system will make plays against us with all the skill players they have returning...we just have to answer and be the aggressor from the beginning in order to win this game. If we execute the gameplan on offense we can knock these ******* off their temporary high horse. both teams have a good defense, we need Williams to be sharp.

D6FA4817-7B1D-4B17-97FF-844ACCD8CC16.jpeg

Advertisement
Mine are a bit more abstract. A sort of wish list I’ve had since Manny was hired, up to QB1.

Offense

- Identity we can believe in. Miami hasn’t had an identity on offense in 15 years. I know it’s too early in Enos’ tenure to expect everyone to have gelled and the offense to be humming like a machine, but show us you have a plan to use the pieces at your disposal and a dedication to making life harder on the opposing D and easier on your own. Show us you know how to maximize your talent, not minimize it.

- A Jarren we can reliably project. Kid doesn’t need to be Trevor Lawrence, he just needs to show us why he won the job, and that he’s starting to come into his own. The road after UF is arguably more important than opening week, so just show us you can run this O and we’ll be fine.

- A household name emerges. Miami hasn’t been able to properly feature its offensive talent in a long time. Duke Johnson is probably the last guy who fit that role, as someone who people outside of the fandom would turn on the game just to see play. Of course it takes a player of high caliber to begin with, but we have several of those cats on campus right now. Max them out! Whether it’s 4, 15, 1, 85 or whomever. Be big time players!

- An OL that shows competency. Hard for the bar to be lower here, but I’m sure we could find a way to dig it down. I want push on third and short and the Guards to not be terrible on third and long. We know the Tackles are going to need time and will probably never be phenomenal this year, but the center of the line is stout. Along with this would go offensive planning that doesn’t make the game harder for us than it needs to be.

Defense

- Little to no drop off with Baker. Speaks for itself, I don’t want to feel like we got short changed on the DC hire. Manny set a high standard not just philosophically but in real time. I still don’t think we’ve had but one or two games were his defense had 2 bad halves, and I don’t want to start that now.

- Safeties who know what to do. Another high bar that’s been set, but this defense hasn’t really had to deal with poor S play since Manny came in. Part of that is talent, but part of it is a credit to the coaching. Let’s not take a step back here and risk a gaping hole in an otherwise stellar D.

- DL living up to the hype. Take over the game. Dictate their play calling to them. That’s it.

Advertisement
Mine are a bit more abstract. A sort of wish list I’ve had since Manny was hired, up to QB1.

Offense

- Identity we can believe in. Miami hasn’t had an identity on offense in 15 years. I know it’s too early in Enos’ tenure to expect everyone to have gelled and the offense to be humming like a machine, but show us you have a plan to use the pieces at your disposal and a dedication to making life harder on the opposing D and easier on your own. Show us you know how to maximize your talent, not minimize it.

- A Jarren we can reliably project. Kid doesn’t need to be Trevor Lawrence, he just needs to show us why he won the job, and that he’s starting to come into his own. The road after UF is arguably more important than opening week, so just show us you can run this O and we’ll be fine.

- A household name emerges. Miami hasn’t been able to properly feature its offensive talent in a long time. Duke Johnson is probably the last guy who fit that role, as someone who people outside of the fandom would turn on the game just to see play. Of course it takes a player of high caliber to begin with, but we have several of those cats on campus right now. Max them out! Whether it’s 4, 15, 1, 85 or whomever. Be big time players!

- An OL that shows competency. Hard for the bar to be lower here, but I’m sure we could find a way to dig it down. I want push on third and short and the Guards to not be terrible on third and long. We know the Tackles are going to need time and will probably never be phenomenal this year, but the center of the line is stout. Along with this would go offensive planning that doesn’t make the game harder for us than it needs to be.

Defense

- Little to no drop off with Baker. Speaks for itself, I don’t want to feel like we got short changed on the DC hire. Manny set a high standard not just philosophically but in real time. I still don’t think we’ve had but one or two games were his defense had 2 bad halves, and I don’t want to start that now.

- Safeties who know what to do. Another high bar that’s been set, but this defense hasn’t really had to deal with poor S play since Manny came in. Part of that is talent, but part of it is a credit to the coaching. Let’s not take a step back here and risk a gaping hole in an otherwise stellar D.

- DL living up to the hype. Take over the game. Dictate their play calling to them. That’s it.
Best assessment on the thread.

Offense

This should be Jeff Thomas. I think we all agree here. He should be the focal point (whether decoy, target or touch) of at least 20 plays.

Defense

I specifically want to see he's able and willing to be different from Manny. Manny was good with playcalls on 3rd down last year, but that was built on previous years. Where will Baker be? How different is his style?

This goes along with my point on Safeties. We're going to find out almost immediately how these guys do in the open field. It's a given when you play the type of front/style we do.

Fantastic. Thank you for jumping in. Added some thoughts in bolded red.

Offense

- Jarren Williams throwing slants and crossers
- Deejay Dallas 50+ yards receiving
- Cam Harris one 25+ yard run
- Either Will Mallory or Brevin Jordan will have 80+ yards receiving
- Hightower has 4+ catches, perhaps unexpectedly
- Jeff Thomas is used as a sweep decoy and handoff receiver multiple times

Defense/Special Teams

- The lynchpin for the defense is named Jon Ford. Watch #96 often.
- Garvin/Hill/Rousseau/Patchan will combine for 6 TFLs
- Either Shaq or Pinckney will step in front of a **** slant for an INT
- Watch our Safeties closely to see if we're cleaning up cutback runs. By the end of first half, we'll know what we've got in the open field.
- Look out for jump balls against a defense potentially missing the CB with largest wingspan
- A working punting unit

Please, add your own. Let's get some good vibes going.

I see Carter being ejected and broken ribs for somebody

Advertisement
Offense

- Jarren Williams throwing slants and crossers
- Deejay Dallas 50+ yards receiving
- Cam Harris one 25+ yard run
- Either Will Mallory or Brevin Jordan will have 80+ yards receiving
- Hightower has 4+ catches, perhaps unexpectedly
- Jeff Thomas is used as a sweep decoy and handoff receiver multiple times

Defense/Special Teams

- The lynchpin for the defense is named Jon Ford. Watch #96 often.
- Garvin/Hill/Rousseau/Patchan will combine for 6 TFLs
- Either Shaq or Pinckney will step in front of a **** slant for an INT
- Watch our Safeties closely to see if we're cleaning up cutback runs. By the end of first half, we'll know what we've got in the open field.
- Look out for jump balls against a defense potentially missing the CB with largest wingspan
- A working punting unit

Please, add your own. Let's get some good vibes going.
Safety worries me. Carter can KO any ball carrier, but his coverage skills concern me. Much like when Jamal Carter started next to Jenkins at Safety senior year. Jamal Carter was a ferocious hitter and physical specimen, but we didn't know what we had back there with him until the bullets started flying. He pleasantly surprised me with improved coverage skills, but Jenkins was the FS coverage guru. Hopefully Gurvan Hall can be this years Jenkins, and this years Carter improves much like Jamal did.

I envision a rushing attack that will surprise the mess out of many of our fans, setup by brilliant play calling from Enos. I think he lives for these types of games and atmosphere.

I envision at least 2 trucks over Henderson and possibly 1 pancake block on him by one of our WR’s.

I envision a KR/PR at a critical point in the game that will send our fans delirious.

I envision “It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane!” Being loudly heard on the television as their fans exit the stadium mid-4th quarter, with the game firmly in hand.

Offense

Defense

Excellent post and the best assessment of what the fan base collectively wants to see. Every point was clearly articulated. @IndayArtHauz I would like to see you post more analytical football related stuff where you share your insights into offensive and defensive philosophies, breaking down strengths and weaknesses and such. You are clearly quite good at it.

Advertisement
Watching Hedley to see if he can get punts off with guys coming at him. If his steps are quick enough then the punting game will not be a detriment.

I would like to see a team that is proactive in every phase. I would like to see a team who is comfortable being the aggressor and throwing the first punch(figuratively speaking of course).

I want to see a team that has completely exorcised that tentative fear based loser mentality that seemed to be favored by previous staffs. I know that the defense has already undergone this change when Diaz was hired as DC. Now that Manny is the head coach, I want to see the entire squad exude that attack mentality that the defense is known for.

I want to see a staff and a team that doesn't wait until we are down 14 points to begin to attack. Conversely I want to see a staff that doesn't pack it in and play not to lose if we are up by 14 points.

I want to see a staff who scouts it's opponents and tailors game plans that are specific to the opposition that particular week. I want to see game plans that utilize the talent we have in a variety of ways in order to exploit the different weaknesses of each opponent.

We have an insanely talented group of RBs. I would like to see them all be used in order to wear down defenses and to maximize the talent we have. For example I don't want to see DJ get run into the ground before we see Harris or Lingard. We need to show the ability to use them all.

Advertisement
Back