Things Are Different, But…

Just keep reminding yourselves we have holes in the trenches, linebacker, and corner before you get too excited about year 1. The financial reinvestment is phenomenal, the coaching upgrades are exciting, but building a monster takes some time after being down like we've been since 05.

Advertisement
I've seen the Alabama boards after a loss. There are more than a few fans on their who call for Saban to be fired. With a good staff, Miami should have a talent advantage over everyone in the ACC. The money issue has been neutralized. Now it comes down to actually winning. Some kids will still want to leave, but at least it won't be because Miami has been outworked or out bid anymore.

Just keep reminding yourselves we have holes in the trenches, linebacker, and corner before you get too excited about year 1. The financial reinvestment is phenomenal, the coaching upgrades are exciting, but building a monster takes some time after being down like we've been since 05.
We have people in here talking about how we have a top 3 staff in the country. That top 3 staff can't be expected to beat 10 teams that we have a talent advantage over?

I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

HOWEVER, I wanna swagger jack a partial post from @canesdogo:

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
Great post.

We have people in here talking about how we have a top 3 staff in the country. That top 3 staff can't be expected to beat 10 teams that we have a talent advantage over?
That's why for me just beat the teams we're supposed to beat while establishing culture and great fundamentals. Beat the 💩 out of ACC foes minus Clemson with top 10 recruiting and that's a success. We just can't expect the world and accept some minor bumps in the road.

Advertisement
Completely agree. Not going to speak for entire fan base but I know my frustrations have come from lack of commitment from the top down. Running a mom and pop athletic department for too long: Diaz hiring in 4 hours, dimare nepotism hiring, etc. I could go on and on.

Now that it appears we are fully committed to achieving excellence in football im more than happy to give it the necessary time. We have a uphill battle.

Just happy the days of incompetent coaching are finally over. The list of **** we have all seen over the years is just beyond comical…. And the scariest part is a lot of these guys still have jobs in football 💀

**** yall in here acting like yall not apart of this Baba Yaga fan base this thread is about. @cway313 @Page305 @L A M P
yall ain't never been apart of this beast?

Why are all topics everywhere divided into two sides? There is no middle ground. Like nuance, reason, logic or empathy are some incomprehensible concepts. @AtlAtty was the only person to come close to it in this thread.

He can fail Year 1 & still be the guy to get us a championship. And it's up to every individual to set their standards as they wish. All our standards are clearly different & threads like these are only self-aggrandizing where everyone can puff out their chest only to completely contradict themselves later in the year.

I get you claim your speaking to the extremists but most of us have belonged to that faction at one point or another in our Fandom.

In recruiting threads you have one snarky comment after another about how a recruits words or actions don't matter as long as they sign. Its the same dynamic. Fans can be toxic but their money & attention are still needed for the bottom line. At the end of the day you have to take them as they come. Just like they have to take the product as it comes.

This unreasonable fear of some overzealous fans is all unnecessary. Mario ain't going nowhere! He is here for all 10 years unless he wants out so any of our opinions are moot. We can't affect the situation like we have in the past nor should we try. I'd given up hope of ever seeing UM win a National Championship just a few months ago. Mario gives us a chance.

As for my expectations:
I expect the Coastal this year assuming good health & no suspensions. 9 regular season wins should be the floor but if 8 got us the Coastal then I'm good.
Why do we have to lose to win? Why can't we win little 1st then big later? There is no one way up this mountain but I'd rather take the most pleasant path. Our roster is limited. So are 10 of our opponents. If I don't believe we can win then why would I even bother watching? If A&M is an automatic loss then why subject myself to it? I'll believe we can win until the game is over. Same for the season. After it's done I'll have no choice but to accept it, good or bad.

I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
God dammit, Rell! You might have the Post of the Year and it’s only March bro! Lol

For me, the biggest culprit has always been practice and discipline, and the jury is still out on the latter.

Mario's teams were among the nation leaders in penalties. Its a fair criticism of his squads, and we already know how the penalties drove us crazy since the Shannon days.

Fix that please.

Advertisement
We are playing scrubs. The only good teams we are playing next year are Clemson and Tamu. Not to mention porsters have been ripping TAMU for months now talking about how overrated they are and how much of a Corch Jimbo is without Crablegs. Now all of a sudden TAMU is the unstoppable monster that we can't even beat with our Heisman hopeful QB.

With this "elite" staff we have, we should lose no more than 2 regular season games. At the absolute worst we should lose 3. Clemson, TAMU, and Marios signature loss against a less talented team. We have more talent than every team on the schedule already, besides TAMU and Clemson.
You’re like the great value version of skip bayless lol

Should be favored to win every ACC match up other than Clemson. I don't think it's unrealistic to think the Coastal is within reach this year with better coaching and game prep.

**** son. You got your point across. Sometimes you have to go deep to get your point across.

i love the idea but this board is 100% about division and not unity for Miami sports…

Miami wins at the buzzer yesterday and people are *****ing about Coach L’s posture…

Yet we expect a bunch of ******** who always “knew everything I needed to know when” to give Mario slack when the division is already being driven early and often..

It should be fairly clear that whether Mario was your choice or not, he is the right person to build the program for Miami right now. It’s up to him to win on Saturdays and grow as a game day coach.

Advertisement
Being critical is part of being a message board community. I still see a bunch of warts on Mario as it pertains to game day coaching but for the first time in a long time I think we are no longer a Mickey Mouse program. My expectations for Mario is to do what I hoped Richt was gonna do and that was turn us into a respectable program. I don’t expect to take out Bama. I hope for perennial 10 wins seasons with a run at the CFP every once in a while. I have no disillusionment about Mario winning us a chip in the next 5 years, ****, maybe even ever. We have fallen so far that I will enjoy just being a top 15 program for a good minute.

At the end of the day we know there will be porsters in here complaining week 1 because something looked off or not elite. We have an ace recruiter who surrounded himself with like minded recruiters and proven coaches. Let them work and we are gonna be eating for decades to come.

Generally agree with the post, but I don't think expecting to win the Coastal Division in year one is an unrealistic expectation, especially given our QB situation. Not winning the division with TVD at the helm and a competent coaching staff would be a disappointment. Not something to be up in arms about, but it would be a disappointment. We absolutely should expect to win the division.

Advertisement

@Rellyrell My guy... My dude...

This is post of the year material here brother. Very well thought out and masterfully said. I've been telling people this is a complete overhaul and not just a coat of paint and some fancy new vinyl flooring. We're putting actual money and quality materials into this *****.

@Maudes &/or Mods can we sticky this please?????

It's interesting that we are being cautious and lowering expectations with a major improvement in staffing, infrastructure, and spending with essentially the same roster most were expecting to win the ACC coastal last year.

I am expecting to win our division as things currently stand. Is that expecting too much?

Advertisement
Back