Things Are Different, But…

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

HOWEVER, I wanna swagger jack a partial post from @canesdogo:

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.

Advertisement
Well said all around

Star Trek Applause GIF

Some mugs are just gonna mope no mater what. Us reasonable dudes are with you and can see what direction we're headed. This thing is just getting off the line and man I can't wait to see what it turns into. We're going from the dark ages to the age of enlightenment with a quickness.

Advertisement
Great post man. The atmosphere with Mario is electrifying due to the hype created by some good decisions. It will get toxic after the first loss. All we can hope for is the success he had at Oregon or even better. One thing is certain, future recruiting classes are going to be monsters that Canes fans haven't seen in decades.

I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
One of your very best posts my friend! I couldn't have said that any better if I tried. Very very well said!

Advertisement

Excellent post.

We're a 71 Chevelle. We have a nice engine under the hood, but boy... we let it rot from letting it sit outside for 15+ years.

Let Mario do his thing.

As usual, well said Rell. We have much to be excited about BUT we need to temper our expectations. As the saying goes “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” We can’t and won’t take the CFB world by surprise like Schnelly did in ‘83.

We’ve been downtrodden for **** near 20 years. There’s much work to be done and we now have a HC and AD that knows the path to get us back to relevancy.

Advertisement
Sometimes having unrealistic expectations are the reasons why these fans ***** and moan so much. I think this is a 8-4 even with TVD at the helm. Our defense with the exception of a few players is still filled with Jags..on offense that interior O line still scares and all of our receivers are unproven. If we do better than 8-4 I will be very happy but we need more bullies in the trenches and our coach is working on that. I think we hired the right guy, this is just a 3-4 year project.

Advertisement
As usual, well said Rell. We have much to be excited about BUT we need to temper our expectations. As the saying goes “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” We can’t and won’t take the CFB world by surprise like Schnelly did in ‘83.

We’ve been downtrodden for **** near 20 years. There’s much work to be done and we now have a HC and AD that knows the path to get us back to relevancy.

But even w/ Schnelly, it didn’t happen over night, ya dig? My guy had to methodically strip away Suntan U. Fortunately, this is not what Schnelly inherited. We have holes, but it’s not detrimental. Regardless, if we won less than 10 games, it wouldn’t come as a shocker or surprise. Honestly, it would shock me if we did win 10+ games after the chit show Mario inherited.

The hype isn't just because we hired Mario but is that the U has decided we needed to invest more via the Herbie rant. Herbie got the ball rolling and I doubt Mario would be here except for the investments being made to hire better coaches, improve facilities. It takes financial backing to accomplish it. I am thrilled we have an experienced coach and that he himself along with his hires are all top notch recruiters and solid teachers. I thought Richt would do well except he refused to change QB coach then Manny had a bad hire at OC that surprised everyone since at the time it seemed to be a great hire, Manny quickly got that solved. Manny was handicapped when it came to the finances versus what the U has now. I thank Herbie for exposing our lack of dedication and for alum stepping up. We are in great shape to start winning titles and these changes have expedited the timeframe. That is a good thing and with our talent I expect 2022 to have a competitive system. We have the coaches, we have the backing, we have more fans back and the best QB.

The hype isn't just because we hired Mario but is that the U has decided we needed to invest more via the Herbie rant. Herbie got the ball rolling and I doubt Mario would be here except for the investments being made to hire better coaches, improve facilities. It takes financial backing to accomplish it. I am thrilled we have an experienced coach and that he himself along with his hires are all top notch recruiters and solid teachers. I thought Richt would do well except he refused to change QB coach then Manny had a bad hire at OC that surprised everyone since at the time it seemed to be a great hire, Manny quickly got that solved. Manny was handicapped when it came to the finances versus what the U has now. I thank Herbie for exposing our lack of dedication and for alum stepping up. We are in great shape to start winning titles and these changes have expedited the timeframe. That is a good thing and with our talent I expect 2022 to have a competitive system. We have the coaches, we have the backing, we have more fans back and the best QB.
Go back to bed

Advertisement
Back