Things Are Different, But…

Advertisement
I’m excited as well, but it’s been 2 spring practices and 3 months into Mario’s tenure.

We are objectively in a better spot than we were, but the culture that has plagued this program isn’t going to be eradicated in a year, maybe not even 2 years.

I just want to see consistent improvement day to day, month to month and year to year.

I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

HOWEVER, I wanna swagger jack a partial post from @canesdogo:

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
stepbrothers-mists-of-avalon-1.gif

Advertisement
“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

Modern day fans are idiots—just like modern day society is full of idiots. Social media is full of idiots. The world is full of idiots.

Go look at a program like Alabama. There is a large portion of that fan base that is "done" with Nick Saban and has been for years.

Six national title didn't quench their thirst. Over the past decade he's lost five bowl games—leaving three titles on the field the past six seasons. He's also lost to Auburn in seasons he shouldn't have and had the occasional mid-season brain fart game these idiots deem unforgivable. The bar has been set for them and Alabama should win the natty every season. They're not even satisfied winning anymore—they expect it and anytime they to lose a big one, it's the end of the world.

THE MINUTE Mario loses his first game, floodgates are gonna open regarding every clowndick that didn't want him. "Lane wouldn't have lost like that!" Whoever they preferred in the program's driver's seat other than Mario, you're gonna hear about it ever loss. At some point they'll even say Diaz was better. Bank on it.

Fans were impatient with Butch all those years ago, as well—the "champs to chumps" banner flying in 1997 before the West Virginia game—the dude with an 18-8 career record at a probation-saddled Miami at that point and they wanted to run him off. A few years later they were stroking him off as the GOAT and clamored for his return for decades.

Ignore the noise and block out the morons. I couldn't give less of a **** what the idiots say anymore. Been following this program four decades now and the past two decades have sucked balls. Mario and blank checks were the best shot this program had at a rebirth—but that doesn't mean dude won't lose some games, choke, ***** up or have some letdowns. Welcome to football.

Fact remains the Canes are on the mend, so go enjoy it. Surround yourself with good fans who want to talk about the positives—and if that means staying off message boards, social media or jagoffs at tailgates, do that as well. If you let the mental midgets bring you down, or you're wasting your days trying to win online arguments with mouth-breathers—that's on you at this point.

Don't let the ****ers and moaners steal any joy from this unexpected program rebirth. Losers are losers and they only want to take you down with them. "The U" is finally rebuilding and chasing championships again. It's a good day.

All things considered, the ACC will be a tougher challenge than the Pac-12. The talent base is significantly more fertile on the East Coast and the Southeast than out West. Out West you have Cali, Greater Phoenix area, Greater Seattle area and then the it's mostly hit or miss.

Then you have the Southeast...where just about every state you can think of has elite Top 300 talent littered throughout the state. NC/GA/FL/LA/VA and the list goes on and on. Kids are bred for football in these parts and its not even close talent wise.

Point that I'm making is that the job will be MUCH MUCH more difficult to win back to back ACC titles than it will be to win back to back titles in the Pac12.

Mario IMO has a successful year with 9 wins including the bowl season. A 10-win total on the season would be a monumental achievement in Year 1 after acquiring a football team that over the last 4 years has won an exact average of 7 games per season. 7-6, 6-7, 8-3, 7-5........I know we all love our Canes and ride with our Canes but facts are facts, and as it stands right now, our new HC has inherited a MEDIOCRE AT BEST football team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

HOWEVER, I wanna swagger jack a partial post from @canesdogo:

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
There is systemic change going on within the AD and the football program. This is not just hiring a new coach but rather an entire overhaul of the AD and the way they run the football program. While I feel really encouraged about the change, I feel that big changes like this will take time to pay dividends. I am going to be patient but sadly after 15+ years I dont know how many others will be.

Fans will be fans. Lets put it this way, it will be at least 2.5 years until talk of the banner plane will come up.

I really really really hate to bring this up, as I have seen it brought up in 'defense" of Golden and Manny. Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe ?? at home early in his time at Bama. Just whatever , it happened. Make your own conclusions. Everyone loses.

I will be extremely patient, and as many pragmatic fans are I just want to see improvement, and a commitment to excellence.

Time to put this baby on autopilot, sit back and enjoy it for what it is. The quality of changes this past off season will speak for itself hereon out - more than I expected or could have asked for. Thank you Lord…

Advertisement
Awesome post! Just be careful swiping anything from that ketchup on a hotdog lovin @canesdogo. Man like that has to be monitored at all times.
SSCC you are good.......tell Relly to get me a good pair of sneaks, a monster size foot long hotdog with a bottle of Heinz thick to go, and I could not be monitored.
I would be trekking just like our Canes but no **** mustard Chi style.
That just does not work....oh yeah throw in some Duke mayo while you are at it on those foot longs....and a cold brew.....heaven my friend...

I dont want to see the offensive philosophy shift toward a run-centric scheme. It will not work.

Its 2022.

We got ~8 games of performance out of TVD last year, and if he has worse stats through 13 games this year, I am going to be upset.

Advertisement
You know we will certainly look more prepared. That alone is improvement. We ain’t winning it all but we ain’t looking like idiots anymore either.

Great points OP. I’d add that as fans, we should also take a step back on prior player performances. Let’s face it, many of these guys were coached poorly the last couple of years, especially the Defense. We don’t know if better coaching, teaching, motivating, etc., leads to overall improvement. My bet is that it will with some of the players.

Go Canes!

It's interesting that we are being cautious and lowering expectations with a major improvement in staffing, infrastructure, and spending with essentially the same roster most were expecting to win the ACC coastal last year.

I am expecting to win our division as things currently stand. Is that expecting too much?

Let’s look at recent history of some of the most accomplished coaches (Saban, Smart, Dabo, Meyer)

Saban took over a Bama program that went 26-23 under Shula for 4 yrs. He also inherited the #21, 16, & 13th ranked recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 7-6

Smart took over a UGA program that went 39-13 under Richt for the last 4 yrs. He also inherited the #13, 8, & 6th ranked recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 8-5

Dabo “fully” took over a Clemson program that went 32-19 under Bowden. He also inherited the #14, 16, & 9th ranked recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 9-5

Urban Meyer (Mayahs) took over a UF program that went 33-17 under Spurrier, Zook, & Strong (interim). He also inherited the #10, 1, & 5th ranked recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 9-3

Now, Urban’s second go round in coaching at OSU was different. The Vest built OSU into a juggernaut, winning the B1G 6 straight yrs before his dismissal. They hadn’t lost more than 3 games since 2004. Typically when a coach does well his 1st yr, it’s b/c he’s already taking over an established machine (see Larry Coker, Ryan Day, Dennis Erickson, Jimbo Fisher (FSU) etc. as examples).

So what is Mario inheriting? He’s inheriting a program that went 28-21 under Richt/Diaz over the past 4 yrs, while inheriting the #27, 17, & 11th ranked recruiting classes.

So again, it’s not about lowering expectations vs. being realistic. Now the caveat is, we may win 8 games & win The Coastal b/c of how bad & helter skelter this division is. The point is, don’t be too disappointed or turncoat if we don’t make The ACCCG &/or win 10 games in yr 1, b/c even the greats haven’t done so taking on a rebuild.

Last edited:
Let’s look at recent history of some of the most accomplished coaches (Saban, Smart, Dabo, Meyer)

Saban took over a Bama program that went 26-23 under Shula for 4 yrs. He also inherited the #21, 16, & 13th ranked classes. Results his 1st yr? 7-6

Smart took over a UGA program that went 39-13 under Richt for the last 4 yrs. He also inherited the #13, #8, & #6 recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 8-5

Dabo “fully” took over a Clemson program that went 32-19 under Bowden. He also inherited the #14, #16, & #9 recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 9-5

Urban Meyer (Mayahs) took over a UF program that went 33-17 under Spurrier, Zook, & Strong (interim). He also inherited the #10, #1, & #5 recruiting classes. Results his 1st yr? 9-3

Now, Urban’s second go round in coaching at OSU was different. The Vest built OSU into a juggernaut, winning the B1G 6 straight yrs before his dismissal. They hadn’t lost more than 3 games since 2004. Typically when a coach does well his 1st yr, it’s b/c he’s already taking over an established machine (see Larry Coker, Ryan Day, Dennis Erickson, Jimbo Fisher (FSU) etc. as examples).

So what is Mario inheriting? He’s inheriting a program that went 28-21 under Richt/Diaz, while inheriting the #27, #17, & #11 recruiting classes.

So again, it’s not about lowering expectations vs. being realistic. Now the caveat is, we may win 8 games & win The Coastal b/c of how bad & helter skelter this division is. The point is, don’t be too disappointed or turncoat if we don’t make The ACCCG &/or win 10 games in yr 1, b/c even the greats haven’t done so taking on a rebuild.
This X 1000%. The numbers don’t lie. Being realistic and having proper perspective is an approach ALL of need to follow.

Advertisement
Back