Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

I don’t think u get it, bro; how u word things is everything. Openly recruiting to come to a school using NIL is a different animal vs. announcing the NIL deal after the student commits/signs. Why do u think USC’s leak is causing an uproar.

It’s the Wild Wild West, but there’s a for sure black & white clause which says NIL is not to be used for “pay-to-play.” That’s what it’s been appearing by these open tweets, especially the J Addison tweet.
He isn’t using NiL as pay for play. He’s using NiL as pay to promote, and the contract requires location based time commitments which just so happen to only be possible if you attend a school in south Florida. It also just so happens that Miami is the only South Florida school that actually competes for 4star+ guys….

Secondly I don’t even think Ruiz is technically a booster! nor is his company a collective.

Advertisement
My assumption: not in a manner that can be proved in court
Respectfully, who cares what happens in a courtroom?

The primary issue with NIL is will it cause the NCAA to sanction a particular school. As we all know, that's not a court proceeding. That's a completely different set of standards and the ones that can give a school pause.

Not a fan of the “wong” thing, quotation. In this hyper sensitive society, even though it’s a play-on for Isaiah, I seen this same quote take down a mega billion $$ clothing industry’s CEO not too long ago.

Everything doesn’t need to be tweeted out. I love the brash, but man social media can be a helluva drug. Handle ur biz in court or w/ the compliance office & talk about that. Jmo.

It's part of Wong's commercial - the "Wong" quote. Don't be hypersensitive (not you directly). It's literally using his name "N" as a spokesperson.

How many times do people have to be told that what Ruiz is doing is NOT a collective.

And why don’t some you hitch your skirts up talking about him doing it in silence.

As long as what he’s doing follows the rules, just because your preference is silence, it doesn’t mean his has to be. If I was him I would do it differently. But I’m not him.

Let Ruiz be Ruiz.

As long as he is following the rules, it’s his call, NOT YOURS. You’re just some no-spend stay-at-home TV watcher, not someone that has an investment in the program.

He isn’t using NiL as pay for play. He’s using NiL as pay to promote, and the contract requires location based time commitments which just so happen to only be possible if you attend a school in south Florida. It also just so happens that Miami is the only South Florida school that actually competes for 4star+ guys….

Secondly I don’t even think Ruiz is technically a booster! nor is his company a collective.

He doesn't only have UM players contracted. Frank Gore Jr signed with LifeWallet as well.

Advertisement
Respectfully, who cares what happens in a courtroom?

The primary issue with NIL is will it cause the NCAA to sanction a particular school. As we all know, that's not a court proceeding. That's a completely different set of standards and the ones that can give a school pause.
Sanction for what?

You need to understand how regulatory framework functions in America if you're going to not care what happens in a courtroom after the SCOTUS ruling.

You do know that NCAA action can be appealed to a court of law, right?

I think long term, our biggest concern about the LW NILs would be what happens when the company goes public. I mean, you're going to have investors who went to other schools not wanting to use that money to advertise one school and it not be their's, right? How does Ruiz work around that? If he does it out of personal funds, he becomes a booster. Soooo maybe a small shell company? :unsure:

I don’t believe when NIL came about it was going to be what it has become.it’s way beyond , out of control and a no boundary situation. Personally I liked the suit case days $$$

Advertisement
You want a legitimate NIL regulation to avoid tampering?

Make a regulation that says an NIL offer cannot be made in such a way that necessitates an athlete's switching schools. Like a reverse non-compete. If the contract requires you to be within a certain geographic region in order to fulfill commitments (the current way to require a athletes play for a school without saying it explicitly), and its offered to a kid currently not in that geographic region and attending another school, and that's found to induce a transfer, some sort of tampering/penalties for the offending NIL dealmaker/and the benefitting school. Force kids to actually enter the transfer portal before negotiating a deal.

This leaves HS recruiting as open for NIL, while at least making a token attempt to bring some reasonable level of poaching protection for smaller schools.

I don’t believe when NIL came about it was going to be what it has become.it’s way beyond , out of control and a no boundary situation. Personally I liked the suit case days $$$

You must not have strong rooting interest in Miami then. Or just must have not paid attention to the inherent advantage certain schools created in cahoots with the NCAA before the NCAA lost a ton of enforcement power as a result of the Supreme Court ruling.

I think long term, our biggest concern about the LW NILs would be what happens when the company goes public. I mean, you're going to have investors who went to other schools not wanting to use that money to advertise one school and it not be their's, right? How does Ruiz work around that? If he does it out of personal funds, he becomes a booster. Soooo maybe a small shell company? :unsure:

Ehh I think you're over thinking this

Advertisement
You want a legitimate NIL regulation to avoid tampering?

Make a regulation that says an NIL offer cannot be made in such a way that necessitates an athlete's switching schools. Like a reverse non-compete. If the contract requires you to be within a certain geographic region in order to fulfill commitments (the current way to require a athletes play for a school without saying it explicitly), and its offered to a kid currently not in that geographic region and attending another school, and that's found to induce a transfer, some sort of tampering/penalties for the offending NIL dealmaker/and the benefitting school. Force kids to actually enter the transfer portal before negotiating a deal.

This leaves HS recruiting as open for NIL, while at least making a token attempt to bring some reasonable level of poaching protection for smaller schools.
Or just re-institute a requirement to sit a year when transferring unless you can satisfy a threshold for extenuating circumstances

I thought LifeWallet was the shell company. His real money is in MSP recovery I think (which is the main company with the SPAC deal, and that company owns LifeWallet).

Advertisement
The NCAA is not prepared to deal with sharks like Ruiz, right or wrong...

I feel it in my plums...

The NCAA is not prepared to deal with sharks like Ruiz, right or wrong...

I feel it in my plums...

People like Kanell are smart enough to see the writing on the wall. They’re broke and don’t have the $$$ to compete in this era. Their only avenue to parity is for the NCAA to crack down on NIL’s. Won’t make a difference since our NIL’s aren’t through a collective.

I think the sit out a year transfer rule is the best bet...I mean when a coach leaves a school, there's buyout money involved so there's some sort of penalty...

Advertisement
Back