Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

Advertisement
Never bet against the self-made billionaires. They are used to fights and win them, they have an army of lawyers who are better than anyone the NCAA can hire for 75k/year, and they are very, very smart.
If you guys think the NCAA has any leverage on John Ruiz you are wholly mistaken. The only issue that will be decided if this goes to court is whether the NCAA even exists after Ruiz is done with them.
I could care less but this will be the nail in the NCAA’s coffin if they do anything to stop kids from being paid for their NIL.

Advertisement
You mean to tell me this is slightly different than a GoFundMe?

Not a fan of the “wong” thing, quotation. In this hyper sensitive society, even though it’s a play-on for Isaiah, I seen this same quote take down a mega billion $$ clothing industry’s CEO not too long ago.

Everything doesn’t need to be tweeted out. I love the brash, but man social media can be a helluva drug. Handle ur biz in court or w/ the compliance office & talk about that. Jmo.

Lol; what did I say ya’ll? Lol. I said as SOON as Miami gets involved w/ NIL, the NCAA will then look in to it.

I love Ruiz, but I also move in silence. I was cool w/ the stadium talk, his biz, etc. But just knowing how creepy The NCAA’s obsession w/ us, I was like man, I don’t like our NIL biz being put on front street, b/c of the pay - for - play clause which is in the NIL bylaws.
The pay for play has just been a reason to make smoke.
Ruiz deals involve something from the players in order to reach their deal..as in work.

I sure as **** hope it's all good..but just the fact that they're "looking into it" doesn't mean **** outside of the fact that we have more haters.

I knew all along that we would have advantages over other schools simply because of location and all the money in S. Florida. Ruiz was just a major player in all of this. Clearly Dabo doesn't have those types of resources, lol.

Either way, Ruiz is also a lawyer, and there is a lot more on the line than his role in the NIL business with UM. So I have a feeling a lot of people are going to end up with egg on their face, because they can't keep their nose on it

What's the saying, "all publicity is good publicity", the more they obsess over Ruiz and Miami the more players will want to come here.
Quite literally! The two girls he signed for the basketball team have live... 1 million plus followers on Tic Tok. He just put his company in front of that many more eyes...BEFORE HIS SPAC! ******* BRILLANT!

The pay for play has just been a reason to make smoke.
Ruiz deals involve something from the players in order to reach their deal..as in work.

I sure as **** hope it's all good..but just the fact that they're "looking into it" doesn't mean **** outside of the fact that we have more haters.

I knew all along that we would have advantages over other schools simply because of location and all the money in S. Florida. Ruiz was just a major player in all of this. Clearly Dabo doesn't have those types of resources, lol.

Either way, Ruiz is also a lawyer, and there is a lot more on the line than his role in the NIL business with UM. So I have a feeling a lot of people are going to end up with egg on their face, because they can't keep their nose on it

Oh I agree; but the NCAA always look for reasons to take us down. Just don’t want them in any of our biz when things r going so well. I can almost guarantee nothing comes of this; it’s just the principle.

Advertisement
NIL collectives are clearly illegal under current Florida law.

This has nothing to do with what Ruiz is doing.

(c) A postsecondary educational institution, an entity whose purpose includes supporting or benefitting the institution or its athletic programs, or an officer, director, or employee of such institution or entity may not compensate or cause compensation to be directed to a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete for her or his name, image, or likeness.

Oh I agree; but the NCAA always look for reasons to take us down. Just don’t want them in any of our biz when things r going so well. I can almost guarantee nothing comes of this; it’s just the principle.
That's true.

They just see 7s absolutely killing it and it's all in the media. Social, etc...all good to me...until it's not, I guess.

Also, the fact is that what Ruiz/LifeWallet and likely everyone else is doing right now is legal so whatever. It's not like we're going to be penalized. It's total lawlessness right now. That's both good and bad. Going forward, some of this stuff may not be permissible but whatever. Ruiz and everyone else doing NIL stuff with athletes will have to adjust. At the end of the day, as long as UM isn't penalized, this NIL stuff isn't a problem right now.

Never bet against the self-made billionaires. They are used to fights and win them, they have an army of lawyers who are better than anyone the NCAA can hire for 75k/year, and they are very, very smart.
If you guys think the NCAA has any leverage on John Ruiz you are wholly mistaken. The only issue that will be decided if this goes to court is whether the NCAA even exists after Ruiz is done with them.
I could care less but this will be the nail in the NCAA’s coffin if they do anything to stop kids from being paid for their NIL.

UM lawyers also review the players contracts. Ruiz is a loudmouth (I love it) but he's not doing anything wrong. No matter how many programs want to whine about it.

Advertisement
Again, move in silence. That’s a life lesson in all areas of life.

On the streets: U making $$ on the corner w/ a new connect? u don’t go brag about it b/c u will get knocked off or they coming at u

Invention: u have a bright idea b4 it’s patented? U don’t go brag about it b/c they will steal it.

Relationship: u in a good relationship where the *** is tremendous? U don’t tell ur boys about it, b/c as soon as u turn ur back, they will try to see about that action.

NIL: u moving needles getting kids to consider us? U don’t tweet about it, b/c the NCAA & Southern Schools hate us.

That makes sense if Miami was actually doing something illegal. When big business has a regulatory opening, you attack it and leverage it to the maximum extent possible within the confines of the law. If regulating bodies want to seek to further regulate AFTER due to externalities, then that is a next step to deal with. Promoting NIL deals is LITERALLY what the NIL is supposed to represent. It's the intent of the ruling. I bet Ruiz's NIL deals are as aligned with the Supreme Court ruling as any in the nation.

This is a different ball game my man.

Also, the fact is that what Ruiz/LifeWallet and likely everyone else is doing right now is legal so whatever. It's not like we're going to be penalized. It's total lawlessness right now. That's both good and bad. Going forward, some of this stuff may not be permissible but whatever. Ruiz and everyone else doing NIL stuff with athletes will have to adjust. At the end of the day, as long as UM isn't penalized, this NIL stuff isn't a problem right now.

Thing is though they aren't all legal at the moment.

Advertisement
You guys are missing the point.

The issue is, is LifeWallet or Ruiz or [insert entity or individual] inducing an athlete to come to the University of Miami [or any other school] in exchange for promotional deals?

Maybe the idea for the NCAA is to forbid any deals until a student is enrolled. That'll still bring shenanigans and backdoor deals and promises, but the optics will at least appear fairer.
My assumption: not in a manner that can be proven in court

Last edited:
Some of you are freaking out for no reason. Ruiz already read up on this before it even came out to the public. He sent this out yesterday.

View attachment 184901

He's not some pool of fan/booster money to straight up pay for play. He's producing commercials and marketing his company.... Wait for it.... Using their name image and likeness. It's more in the rules than what anyone else is doing right now. Maybe he tones down the tweets and bragging.
The bragging is a part of his marketing strategy! How much advertising has he garnered for LifeWallet through all this NIL stuff? Legitimately a lot!

Lmao yall are freaking out over nothing...the funny thing is Ruiz is the only one doing this thing the correct way...he's using Name, image and likeness to promote his business..you dont think every fan base is like "what is lifewallet/" and is looking it up and maybe even sign up...and he's not only signing UM players...

Its not my personal style but no issue at all with how Ruiz is handling this. This is EXACTLY how NIL is meant to work. He is legitimately paying for endorsements and marketing of his company. He has every right to bring attention and its smart business for him and for the school.

For Miami it lets everyone know this is a healthy NIL market (since the school cant be attached to NIL directly themself). And where to even start when it comes to how Lifewallet has benefited. Not only do most Canes football fans now know about the product but he is getting attention from all the national sources as well. In addition to football there is representation on an Elite 8 basketball team and two of the most socially followed women's basketball players in the US which is another a huge demographic. This exposure is going to pay off big when Lifewallet goes public. This is not a collective, Its brilliant and its totally legit. He even has non UM athletes under contract, let's see them even try to take him down.

Forget working in the shadows, there is no reason to hide. Shout from the rooftops John Ruiz, you'r the hero we deserve.
LETS.... GO.... CANES!

Advertisement
Back