There is only one thing I noticed in tonight's game.

I can't see an outright firing after the season due to the financial obligations to him and the financial limitations a private school has.

What I can see is the trustee board telling him he needs to fire D'Onofrio and change his defensive scheme. If he refuses he can resign, which lets us out of his buyout. If he stays he implements a much more aggressive scheme defensively and Coley continues to grow as OC.

I think all parties win there.

Advertisement
Agreed, that was the most telling play of the game. This is the fourth year of this defense and he still made a decision like that.

Is this guy feeling tremendous heat or what?

I don't think he made the decision because he felt the heat. He made it because he knew his defense was crap. But that says a lot in Year Four.

This stuff is all fluid but we are definitely "trending" in the direction of a new coach in 2015 based on what I've seen and heard.

What does it say when he still chooses to punt late in the fourth down by two scores.

I can't see an outright firing after the season due to the financial obligations to him and the financial limitations a private school has.

What I can see is the trustee board telling him he needs to fire D'Onofrio and change his defensive scheme. If he refuses he can resign, which lets us out of his buyout. If he stays he implements a much more aggressive scheme defensively and Coley continues to grow as OC.

Absolutely not. This would **** many of us off even more...if that's possible.

That's Golden's defense, not Onfrio's. Firing Onfrio and window dressing a new DC does nothing. Golden has to go....

He's been calling plays with a lot of desperation the last two games.

He's hearing the rumbling, which is causing the big changes we've seen the last couple of games - especially on offense.

After tonight - he's done. I wonder if Tubbs is going to give a coaching clinic when we meet.

Gunnar Kiel is going to throw for 400 yards on El Foldo. He can spin it.

I think gunner is out for the game.

That's Golden's defense, not Onfrio's. Firing Onfrio and window dressing a new DC does nothing. Golden has to go....

I see where you are coming from but maybe Al's scheme flexibility is maximized when the choice is fire your buddy/DC or leave millions on the table. Everyone has his price.

Advertisement

I see where you are coming from but maybe Al's scheme flexibility is maximized when the choice is fire your buddy/DC or leave millions on the table. Everyone has his price.

That scenario is absolutely unacceptable and would just **** off the fan base even more.

Have we not learned from past history? We allowed Coker and Shannon additional time they didn't deserve by playing the coordinator roulette game. That's garbage...when you clean house, you clean house.

I'd be done with this program in the short term if they went that route. I'd simply refuse to keep investing time into something where the people running it don't care enough themselves to make the necessary changes.

What have you been hearing D Money?

Same thing a lot of posters are hearing. The people that matter are frustrated and it's getting worse by the week.

DMoney if there were to be a new head coach next year are you in the camp that it could be Butch or the that he would never be asked back. Also if it was Butch would you like to see Dorsey on the staff in some capacity?

I think it could be Butch. As for Dorsey, he's a rising guy in the NFL. Maybe he pulls a Fisch and makes a pit stop at Miami before returning to the NFL as an OC.

I was kind of thinking he could be the OC here until Butch gets this thing headed in the right direction again and then take over as the HC. I have a feeling Kenny is going to make an incredible HC someplace someday.

Advertisement
And it came pretty early on.

Like most of you I've invested and poured myself into every down, every play, every recruit, and every moment of Canes football. I simply ask this question....when have any of you seen ultra conservative Golden give the green light to go for it on a fourth down on OUR side of the field in the FIRST half of a game.

The answer is never. The moment I saw this the heavens opened, the angels sang, and happy thoughts raced through my head.

This ******* got "the talk" at some point this week. He's was put on notice BEFORE this game that he has entered "coaching for your life" territory.

I know I'm speculating...but the truth is usually right in front of your face. When a passive, conservative, and unimaginative coach like Golden makes THAT bold a move THAT early in a game....to me it says A LOT.

Even though I've been calling for his head for almost 2 years now..this is the first time I'm starting to believe the idiots "that matter" might finally be seeing the light. I'm actually starting to think he WILL get fired.

Let's all hold hands and pray....

Completely disagree....and when he did it i didnt think the way you did......

I instantly said...BOOM!.......Dude has NO CONFIDENCE in his d....and figures the shorten field if we dont get it will give us a chance for another possession. Plus it was 4th and 1 1/2 yard and we were running the ball at will. That was one of the first moments i knew his *** was scared of Paul Johnson. It occureed again when he went ape sh*t over that 3rd and 6 Pi call on Fentress....right then i said...**** "Golden really doesnt expect to have much 3rd and 6 opportunities in this game" because he was crying hiz *** off...instead of lighting into the d getting them ready to get a stop.

That 4th down go for ....still was "conservative" in my opinion..it was win win..it was too obvious..if he was desperate or had the "talk" his dumb *** would of went for it in the fourth instead of punting it....on 4th and 6...he essentially concedied the game @ that moment..because at a minimum GA tech would run off 3-4 mins against our d.

Plus dude in the same half.....went to the half with TWO ROLL OVER TIMEOUTS IN HIS BACK POCKET....With our offense needing possessions...and him supposedly getting "the talk" his P*$sy ***...was scared and content going into the half tied up with Ga tech with them getting the ball.

Again i completely disagree with your post and feelings...and your my boy.

There is only one thing I noticed in last night's game as well as every other game; we are going to have a decided schematic disadvantage.

There is only one thing I noticed in last night's game as well as every other game; we are going to have a decided schematic disadvantage.

Yeah but those are good football teams we are playing. Guys are fighting their tails off. We just need to execute.

The AD should inform AL tomorrow morning that D'Nofrio's contract will not be renewed at the end of the season. End of story. Al can do what he likes after that.

Advertisement
I see a couple of people saying he went for it in response to the opponent and the lack of possessions,etc etc.

Sorry...but I disagree. We've had those same set of circumstances MANY times over his 3 1/2 years here. There have been MANY games where we played an opponent that lit up our D...and there have been many instances where those opponents possessed the ball a **** of a lot more than we did and as a result shortened the game and limited possessions.

This is the first time he responded by going for it that early. Sorry...but that was a man coaching for his life. I stand by my original assessment.

If he's coaching for his life why didn't he put 9 defensive guys within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage against that 1930's offense?

The lack of faith Golden has in his D is also why the last two games he hasn't taken TO's before the half - he doesn't think that unit can actually get off the field to give the ball back to the offense

First time I saw Golden go off on a ref like he was doing on the Fentress pass interference.
He's definitely feeling pressure both from externally and internally.
Unfortunately his dark side is coming out a little to late.

Advertisement
And it came pretty early on.

Like most of you I've invested and poured myself into every down, every play, every recruit, and every moment of Canes football. I simply ask this question....when have any of you seen ultra conservative Golden give the green light to go for it on a fourth down on OUR side of the field in the FIRST half of a game.

The answer is never. The moment I saw this the heavens opened, the angels sang, and happy thoughts raced through my head.

This ******* got "the talk" at some point this week. He's was put on notice BEFORE this game that he has entered "coaching for your life" territory.

I know I'm speculating...but the truth is usually right in front of your face. When a passive, conservative, and unimaginative coach like Golden makes THAT bold a move THAT early in a game....to me it says A LOT.

Even though I've been calling for his head for almost 2 years now..this is the first time I'm starting to believe the idiots "that matter" might finally be seeing the light. I'm actually starting to think he WILL get fired.

Let's all hold hands and pray....

Completely disagree....and when he did it i didnt think the way you did......

I instantly said...BOOM!.......Dude has NO CONFIDENCE in his d....and figures the shorten field if we dont get it will give us a chance for another possession. Plus it was 4th and 1 1/2 yard and we were running the ball at will. That was one of the first moments i knew his *** was scared of Paul Johnson. It occureed again when he went ape sh*t over that 3rd and 6 Pi call on Fentress....right then i said...**** "Golden really doesnt expect to have much 3rd and 6 opportunities in this game" because he was crying hiz *** off...instead of lighting into the d getting them ready to get a stop.

That 4th down go for ....still was "conservative" in my opinion..it was win win..it was too obvious..if he was desperate or had the "talk" his dumb *** would of went for it in the fourth instead of punting it....on 4th and 6...he essentially concedied the game @ that moment..because at a minimum GA tech would run off 3-4 mins against our d.

Plus dude in the same half.....went to the half with TWO ROLL OVER TIMEOUTS IN HIS BACK POCKET....With our offense needing possessions...and him supposedly getting "the talk" his P*$sy ***...was scared and content going into the half tied up with Ga tech with them getting the ball.

Again i completely disagree with your post and feelings...and your my boy.

Fair enough...but for reasons I've stated multiple times in this thread...I COMPLETELY disagree with your line of reasoning as well. We've been under those sets of circumstances many times during Golden's tenure. For as much as an idiot as we all think he is he's not so stupid as to not have realized in the past that the defense sucks. He's never gone for it on his side of the 50....ever.

Ask yourself if it's just the biggest coincidence of all time that he happened to pick yesterday to start getting aggressive with his 4th down decision making. Sorry...but that clearly looks like a desperate man.

First time I saw Golden go off on a ref like he was doing on the Fentress pass interference.
He's definitely feeling pressure both from externally and internally.
Unfortunately his dark side is coming out a little to late.

His dark side?

You mean his ****y, whiny, ***** side?

I see a couple of people saying he went for it in response to the opponent and the lack of possessions,etc etc.

Sorry...but I disagree. We've had those same set of circumstances MANY times over his 3 1/2 years here. There have been MANY games where we played an opponent that lit up our D...and there have been many instances where those opponents possessed the ball a **** of a lot more than we did and as a result shortened the game and limited possessions.

This is the first time he responded by going for it that early. Sorry...but that was a man coaching for his life. I stand by my original assessment.

If he's coaching for his life why didn't he put 9 defensive guys within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage against that 1930's offense?

I honestly think the answer to this question is the fact he sincerely feels that that is the proper way to play defense. He's a defensive guy by nature and stubborn at that. Combine that with his ultra conservatism and he'll keep calling that D all the way through his firing.

But when a guy like THAT all of a sudden gets crazy on offense...that to me screams of something else.

I haven't really seen anyone mention that the reason the **** fake punt worked is because we do not even TRY to block a punt.

Advertisement
Back