Off-Topic Theme Parks

The closest one to us iz Wyld Adventures in Valdosta. Lots a wife beeters an skorts Iffin ya no wat I meen… reel red.

Advertisement
Regarding transportation, hotels outside of the DW area offer shuttle service that takes 20 mins. Inside the resort shuttles take about 10-12 mins from what I've read. The other difference is that the shuttles for the latter take you right to the park gates whereas the former shuttles take you to an area where you have to jump on another mode of transportation to get to the parks?

I think it's good advice to do 2 days at MK, 1 day at AK and maybe 1 day at HS. Not sure Epcot will be the way we go for the young ones.

Even if I want to save money by staying at Pop Century or something similar (I stayed at that one before and wasn't terribly impressed), I am not sure that the transportation benefit outweighs paying the price of the hotel (given I can stay at the Waldorf comfortably with points).

If you DO go to EPCOT with kids, here's what I suggest:

1. The Living Seas - Has a Nemo/Dory themed ride - also the "walk-around" exhibits after the ride are better than most
2. Spaceship Earth - ride
3. Norway - This is where the Frozen ride is (can have long lines)
4. Mexico - very nice boat ride
5. Discovery - this is where the Guardians of the Galaxy ride is
6. Mission Space - this ride can be intense, though
7. France - Ratatouille ride
8. World of Motion - Test Track ride
9. Imagination - multiple attractions
10. The Land - Soarin' ride

With the exception of France, which is towards the back of the park, 9 of the 10 rides are in the "front" of EPCOT or are baaarely into World Showcase (Mexico and Norway).

Very do-able in a day, without a lot of walking.

Hit Spaceship Earth.
Hit the right side (Living Seas, The Land, Imagination).
Hit the left side (Mission Space, World of Motion, Mexico/Norway).

Done.

Last edited:

1. The Living Seas - Has a Nemo/Dory themed ride - also the "walk-around" exhibits after the ride are better than most
4. Mexco - very nice boat ride

With the exception of France, which is towards the back of the park, 9 of the 10 rides are in the "front" of EPCOT or are baaarely into World Showcase (Mexico and Norway).

Hit Spaceship Earth.

Done.
Everybody flocks to Spaceship Earth, but the lines dwindle the later in the day it gets.

My one concern is if he is looking for more cost effective hotels, them Grand Floridian and Polynesian likely price themselves out. But i agree overall. Ohana breakfast is one of my favorites and one of the few places could see Lilo & Stitch together. I would also add Fort Wilderness and Story Book Dining/character dining. But if his kids are animal crazy like he mentioned then Animal Kingdom Lodge would be great with safari room. But idk what price range he's looking for.

I agree - it's fun and kids usually love it too. Also, I know everyone loves the Boathouse. The food is petty good and the boats/boat theme is cool, but it was a big meh for me.

Sorry, this is my fault for not being clear...

Because my dad worked there for 30 years, we knew all the employee places to park, we usually went to hotel restaurants without actually staying at the hotels. However, if you are staying at ONE hotel, they will usually let you drive and park at ANOTHER hotel if you tell them you have a meal reservation.

But, yes, I wasn't suggesting a STAY at those hotels, I just was mentioning some of my favorite hotel restaurants at Disney.

And while I like Raglan Road from an entertainment standpoint, I'm not as much into the "food" side of it. For the record, the primary owners/operators of Raglan Road were formerly a client of mine when I was at a big accounting firm, so I like them quite a bit, it's just not my favorite food.

Everybody flocks to Spaceship Earth, but the lines dwindle the later in the day it gets.

Yeah, after I typed that, I thought "do everything in the exact opposite order I typed it, especially Frozen first..."

:ROFLMAO:

Advertisement

4. Mexco - very nice boat ride

Hit Spaceship Earth.

Done.
Great list! Living with the Land is a nice 20 minute ride too my kid always enjoyed it

When I was a kid, I used to go on summer vacations to the Jersey Shore and I’d always go on this roller coaster at Seaside Heights called Star Jet. The video below doesn’t really do it justice because it doesn’t convey how flimsy the track felt. It does show, though, how you were literally right over the Atlantic Ocean.

When you rode it at night, the intensity was further heightened because not only were you right over the water, you also couldn’t see anything due to the poor boardwalk lightning. Those 7-8 seconds after the lift hill while you were turning into the drop were just pure fright. 60 feet in the air, surrounded by darkness, with the smell of the salty sea in your nostrils. Your imagination would be running wild. It was almost a RELIEF when the drop occurred. Much much scarier than any 300 foot Six Flags ride I’ve ever been on.

Sadly, it washed away during Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

Roller Coaster.jpg

That sombich was beaten and battered, but still standing.
To borrow a De Niro line from Raging Bull...."I didn't go down, Ray".

Advertisement
Love them? Or hate them?

If you like them, whast your favorite?

Universal was always my favorite, with Jaws, Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Mummy ride.

DC has a theme park with a indoor rollercoaster that wwnt from 0-60 in like 6 seconds or something.

As of lately, I hate going to them.
Here’s a deep cut question. In the early 80s there was a water slide park on the east side of I95 in Broward County called Waterworks. It had four slides, two of them tunnels. It predated Six Flags Atlantis, and closed around 1983-1984. I remember it as a big bill with the water slides on it. Does anyone recall this place, or even better have any pictures of it? I’ve seen it referenced, but have never found photos of it.

Here’s a deep cut question. In the early 80s there was a water slide park on the east side of I95 in Broward County called Waterworks. It had four slides, two of them tunnels. It predated Six Flags Atlantis, and closed around 1983-1984. I remember it as a big bill with the water slides on it. Does anyone recall this place, or even better have any pictures of it? I’ve seen it referenced, but have never found photos of it.
Was it Atlantis, the Water Kingdom?

Not sure it’s been mentioned in this thread but looks like a new theme park by Mattel next year in arizona. Hot wheels Barbie, heman in the park. Interesting that the lines will be indoor and rides outside to manage the arizona heat.

Mattel adventure park

Advertisement
Yes. There was a mural on a wall with multiple valves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back