Off-Topic Theme Parks

As I write this, people are currently standing in line for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with a 105 minute wait time! People brag about how they would never deal with the prices and the wait times and yet here we are.

Disney’s solution is simple. Lower Genie+ prices when park attendance drops. Introduce limited time deals for park admission and hotel rates.

Disney parks are not hurting. There always seems to be a new family lining up.

Advertisement
As I write this, people are currently standing in line for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with a 105 minute wait time! People brag about how they would never deal with the prices and the wait times and yet here we are.

Disney’s solution is simple. Lower Genie+ prices when park attendance drops. Introduce limited time deals for park admission and hotel rates.

Disney parks are not hurting. There always seems to be a new family lining up.
But it's definitely more of a hassle to go now. It's like the article says, going on a spur of the moment isn't happening.

When we had passes, we'd check some web site for expected attendance and go up for a day trip on Saturdays. Other than the most popular restaurants, we could usually get in somewhere without too much trouble. Those days are gone.

But it's definitely more of a hassle to go now. It's like the article says, going on a spur of the moment isn't happening.

When we had passes, we'd check some web site for expected attendance and go up for a day trip on Saturdays. Other than the most popular restaurants, we could usually get in somewhere without too much trouble. Those days are gone.
Correct. They have been for the last decade. You and I are less likely to go, but the park is still crowded.

Correct. They have been for the last decade. You and I are less likely to go, but the park is still crowded.
I can take my kids to London for less than half what it would take to get an annual pass. Which will be more educational and expand their horizons?
On Virgin, I can go to London for $917, Milan for $947, or go visit @Bender for $1007.

1689097391861.png

1689097419555.png

Advertisement
This is not new.
Our FL Resident seasonal passes were less than $400 each back in 2016 or so. A ticket overseas was definitely more expensive than that.

Advertisement
Disney is insane. My wife is pushing to go first week of Sept and to stay INSIDE the park. Would rather stay at a nicer hotel outside the park with points.

Anyhow, I went several years ago with my oldest. At that time, we went for 4-5 days, it cost about $3-4k. Now, I made pretty decent money back then, not great, but good enough. I was fascinated by people watching and I KNOW there were families who weren't nearly at my income level spent countless dollars on garbage ****. I can't even imagine how hard a Disney trip is for low-middle income folks.

And on top of the costs, the wait times are insane. I hate the place. lol

Our FL Resident seasonal passes were less than $400 each back in 2016 or so. A ticket overseas was definitely more expensive than that.
Is that seriously the exact same annual pass comparison?

Advertisement
Is that seriously the exact same annual pass comparison?
No, the seasonal had Spring break, summers, Thanksgiving , and Christmas weeks blocked off. The Sorcerer Pass at $969 is probably closer to a direct comparison, but summers aren't blocked.

It was 2016 when I last had my passes because I talked with a cast member about how there was only one boat in Epcot running, and a few other corners we saw getting cut. He said Shanghai Disney was getting all the attention as it was about to open.

No, the seasonal had Spring break, summers, Thanksgiving , and Christmas weeks blocked off. The Sorcerer Pass at $969 is probably closer to a direct comparison, but summers aren't blocked.

It was 2016 when I last had my passes because I talked with a cast member about how there was only one boat in Epcot running, and a few other corners we saw getting cut. He said Shanghai Disney was getting all the attention as it was about to open.
they still offer a pass for $399
FL residents only - weekdays only

Advertisement
Just had a mishap where my wife tried using the Coca Cola Freestyle dispensers. The transponders in the cups would not let her fill them because they claimed she reached her allotment. The people there were not very accommodating to her struggle.

Disney is insane. My wife is pushing to go first week of Sept and to stay INSIDE the park. Would rather stay at a nicer hotel outside the park with points.

Anyhow, I went several years ago with my oldest. At that time, we went for 4-5 days, it cost about $3-4k. Now, I made pretty decent money back then, not great, but good enough. I was fascinated by people watching and I KNOW there were families who weren't nearly at my income level spent countless dollars on garbage ****. I can't even imagine how hard a Disney trip is for low-middle income folks.

And on top of the costs, the wait times are insane. I hate the place. lol

Couple of things (having lived in Orlando for most of my life)...

First, don't rule out staying at a Disney hotel, but go for a cheap one. You get free parking in the PARK lots (not just your hotel) and you get the "Magic Hours" (early admission) on various parks. The extra hour ALONE can get you on one of the "longer-wait" lines before the park really kicks into high gear.

Also, take advantage of your times, figure out how to hit some of the "longer-wait" rides during big events, like the parades and whatnot. And don't be afraid to wait until the last minute, as long as you are in line when they are closing the park, they'll still let you ride.

Eat at odd times, don't stand in those lines. Don't be afraid to walk away from a long line. I usually do mid-afternoon lunch and a later dinner to minimize the waits.

And use the fast-pass as best you can. I think you can even schedule that stuff online, you don't have to be right there in front of the ride. And mix in some of the other stuff to take breaks, like the Tiki Bird show. Sit inside in the A/C at the times when the "E-ticket rides" have the longest lines.

I was at Magic Kingdom 18 months ago while I was at a continuing education conference (staying at Grand Floridian). The park was packed. They gave us an "after 5 pm" ticket. I jumped on the monorail and hit Big Thunder (5 minutes before closing), Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise (during the fireworks), Peter Pan, Pirates, Splash Mountain (last time ever for the Song of the South theme), Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and Tiki Birds in a matter of six hours, plus I got some tacos at Pecos Bill's and a Dole Whip. Only thing I missed out on was Space Mountain.

Right now TWO full hours wait for Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train.
Surprised they're still using "dwarf." Shouldn't it be the Seven "Little People?" The term "dwarf", I'm told, is highly offensive to that population. Maybe Disney isn't as woke as claimed by some!

Advertisement
Back