Off-Topic Theme Parks

Couple of things (having lived in Orlando for most of my life)...

First, don't rule out staying at a Disney hotel, but go for a cheap one. You get free parking in the PARK lots (not just your hotel) and you get the "Magic Hours" (early admission) on various parks. The extra hour ALONE can get you on one of the "longer-wait" lines before the park really kicks into high gear.

Also, take advantage of your times, figure out how to hit some of the "longer-wait" rides during big events, like the parades and whatnot. And don't be afraid to wait until the last minute, as long as you are in line when they are closing the park, they'll still let you ride.

Eat at odd times, don't stand in those lines. Don't be afraid to walk away from a long line. I usually do mid-afternoon lunch and a later dinner to minimize the waits.

And use the fast-pass as best you can. I think you can even schedule that stuff online, you don't have to be right there in front of the ride. And mix in some of the other stuff to take breaks, like the Tiki Bird show. Sit inside in the A/C at the times when the "E-ticket rides" have the longest lines.

I was at Magic Kingdom 18 months ago while I was at a continuing education conference (staying at Grand Floridian). The park was packed. They gave us an "after 5 pm" ticket. I jumped on the monorail and hit Big Thunder (5 minutes before closing), Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise (during the fireworks), Peter Pan, Pirates, Splash Mountain (last time ever for the Song of the South theme), Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and Tiki Birds in a matter of six hours, plus I got some tacos at Pecos Bill's and a Dole Whip. Only thing I missed out on was Space Mountain.

Good stuff. I last went 7 years ago with my older kids. Now taking the younger kids down. Oldest is 7 and youngest is 2 so we're not about doing a ton of rides. Planning to stay at the Waldorf /Bonnet Creek since all hotels inside the park are $$$ and I can use points. Not too worried about not showing up at 7am because we're not about that life, plan to rent a car, but MK for 2 days and AK for 2 days. Am I doing this wrong?

Advertisement
Good stuff. I last went 7 years ago with my older kids. Now taking the younger kids down. Oldest is 7 and youngest is 2 so we're not about doing a ton of rides. Planning to stay at the Waldorf /Bonnet Creek since all hotels inside the park are $$$ and I can use points. Not too worried about not showing up at 7am because we're not about that life, plan to rent a car, but MK for 2 days and AK for 2 days. Am I doing this wrong?
AK for 2 days IMHO is a loser unless someone is completely obsessed with animals. Park is cramped crazy hot and better as a single day experience

AK for 2 days IMHO is a loser unless someone is completely obsessed with animals. Park is cramped crazy hot and better as a single day experience

Got it, thanks. Well, I've got two kids that are obsessed with animals. I don't mind staying there only one day and I know it will be hot as ****. I think 2 days is plenty for MK so that leaves 1 extra day that I need to plan for.

I don't think I've been to a theme park since I was about 11. I can't think of much that I'd enjoy less.

Surprised they're still using "dwarf." Shouldn't it be the Seven "Little People?" The term "dwarf", I'm told, is highly offensive to that population. Maybe Disney isn't as woke as claimed by some!
I would've called it Snow Bunny Hoe White and Them Seven Ug *** Thirsty Midget Mother****ers, but that's just me.

Advertisement
Surprised they're still using "dwarf." Shouldn't it be the Seven "Little People?" The term "dwarf", I'm told, is highly offensive to that population. Maybe Disney isn't as woke as claimed by some!
they are starting to take some serious heat for the live action reboot of the movie coming up. the real dwarf actors are ****ed.

Got it, thanks. Well, I've got two kids that are obsessed with animals. I don't mind staying there only one day and I know it will be hot as ****. I think 2 days is plenty for MK so that leaves 1 extra day that I need to plan for.

I've got a toddler who loves animals and we just did MK and AK in late January. Probably a bit less crowded and better weather that time of year versus summer. That said, we were able to do AK in a day with some time to spare, albeit getting in at opening and throwing cash at it w/ Genie+. My tip (especially w/ young animal lovers) is to make sure to hit Kilimanjaro Safaris first thing (be on Genie+ at 7am for the booking, and make sure you bought Genie+ the night before so you aren't purchasing when you should be booking, because those early times fill up fast). The animals are more active in the AM and that ride has a way of getting backed up throughout the day. Enjoy!

I have young kids who are Disney obsessed and we go a couple times a year, sometimes more. With regards to hotels, we usually stay on disney resorts for much of the same reasons OriginalCane stated. If you are trying to save money, I would compare the amount of your stay at your hotel to something like Pop Century or Art of Animation. They are some of the cheaper ones, and you'll save on parking, which is something you'll have to consider.

With regards to the parks, we actually like AK, but it's definitely not a 2 day park. You can ride most, if not all the rides and shows (jist do the safari early), in one day and maybe even with some time to spare. I could see MK for 2 days. We usually go once a trip and go to one or two other parks, but it works out because I know we'll go back. You definitely cannot do everything at MK one day, so two times gives you a better chance. If you go MK twice, AK one day, then you can go to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios, depending on what your kids' interests are. As an aside, if you are staying at either Art of Animation or Pop Century, you can take the skyliner to those last two as well. It's very convenient, makes it easy to get there and back, and the kids generally have a blast on that as well.

I have young kids who are Disney obsessed and we go a couple times a year, sometimes more. With regards to hotels, we usually stay on disney resorts for much of the same reasons OriginalCane stated. If you are trying to save money, I would compare the amount of your stay at your hotel to something like Pop Century or Art of Animation. They are some of the cheaper ones, and you'll save on parking, which is something you'll have to consider.

With regards to the parks, we actually like AK, but it's definitely not a 2 day park. You can ride most, if not all the rides and shows (jist do the safari early), in one day and maybe even with some time to spare. I could see MK for 2 days. We usually go once a trip and go to one or two other parks, but it works out because I know we'll go back. You definitely cannot do everything at MK one day, so two times gives you a better chance. If you go MK twice, AK one day, then you can go to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios, depending on what your kids' interests are. As an aside, if you are staying at either Art of Animation or Pop Century, you can take the skyliner to those last two as well. It's very convenient, makes it easy to get there and back, and the kids generally have a blast on that as well.
Beyond parking, the transportation options from staying on property are less stressful.

Advertisement
Beyond parking, the transportation options from staying on property are less stressful.
đź’Ż . We usually don't do the busses at MK because the wait can be long coming back, but their transportation usually makes everything easier. I love using the skyliner, even just going to other resorts for breakfast or visits was easy and convenient

Disney has never been woke, no matter what lies people tell you.

Go back and watch Dumbo or Song of the South. And check out Walt's "leanings".

Regarding transportation, hotels outside of the DW area offer shuttle service that takes 20 mins. Inside the resort shuttles take about 10-12 mins from what I've read. The other difference is that the shuttles for the latter take you right to the park gates whereas the former shuttles take you to an area where you have to jump on another mode of transportation to get to the parks?

I think it's good advice to do 2 days at MK, 1 day at AK and maybe 1 day at HS. Not sure Epcot will be the way we go for the young ones.

Even if I want to save money by staying at Pop Century or something similar (I stayed at that one before and wasn't terribly impressed), I am not sure that the transportation benefit outweighs paying the price of the hotel (given I can stay at the Waldorf comfortably with points).

Absolutely. Especially if you have young kids and all the crap that comes with them (carrying strollers and bags around). If there isn't a monorail, ferry, or skyliner available to the major parks, I'm not staying there right now. Maybe I'll revisit that in about 10 years, but hopefully by then my daughter will want to vacation in cooler places.

Advertisement
Regarding transportation, hotels outside of the DW area offer shuttle service that takes 20 mins. Inside the resort shuttles take about 10-12 mins from what I've read. The other difference is that the shuttles for the latter take you right to the park gates whereas the former shuttles take you to an area where you have to jump on another mode of transportation to get to the parks?

I think it's good advice to do 2 days at MK, 1 day at AK and maybe 1 day at HS. Not sure Epcot will be the way we go for the young ones.

Even if I want to save money by staying at Pop Century or something similar (I stayed at that one before and wasn't terribly impressed), I am not sure that the transportation benefit outweighs paying the price of the hotel (given I can stay at the Waldorf comfortably with points).
It was a bit different when I last did it as you didn't have to get reservations for anything but lunch or dinner, but we stayed at various hotels in Orlando and never had too big of a hassle. Our friends worked for Marriott and we'd get employee discounts at whatever hotel offered the best deal.

You're not doing it "wrong". I'd just say this, I tend to worry less about the hotel if I'm going to be in the parks most of the time, that's why I said to go with one of the cheap ones. But that's a personal preference, and if you plan to spend time at the pools, etc., then YES, the cheap Disney hotel pools are like something out of Caddyshack.

For MK and AK, I would just do some checking on what rides are open and what you can do to book FastPass type reservations. That way it takes the stress off of you. With that age group (and I still have a couple of nieces/nephews in that range) you will have more time for their short-attention-spans and even some of the more "minor" rides. Some rides are difficult to board (Peter Pan), thus the lines can back up, others are quick to board (Small World) but are very popular. The kids might like Country Bear Jamboree and Tiki Birds, and those things can give you a mid-day break.

It's hot as **** out there right now, so hydrate. Definitely get a Dole Whip or two during the day, try to stay cool.

Animal Kingdom is a bit different from Magic Kingdom. Not as many rides (and the Avatar one is a looooong line), so you might need to do a bit more planning at THAT park (also tends to have shorter hours).

All the best, hope you enjoy yourself. If you park-hop, don't be afraid to hit EPCOT later, maybe even make a dinner reservation. Le Cellier (steakhouse in Canada) is a lesser-known gem, it might be my favorite Disney in-park restaurant. I took some of my UM friends a few years ago, they had never heard of it. Because I used to work at EPCOT, I know how to talk with the employees, so I asked the person to be on the lookout for any no-show reservations, and we were inside within 15 minutes.

This is often true, particularly when they are doing park expansion and ride renovations. I've had some of my worst Disney experiences at Animal Kingdom.

I haven't been to AK since COVID, so I'm not sure if it is still as cramped as it once was. There are some shaded areas (probably more than other parks), but when it's hot in AK it's also VERY humid due to all the water features in the animal areas.

Advertisement
I've got a toddler who loves animals and we just did MK and AK in late January. Probably a bit less crowded and better weather that time of year versus summer. That said, we were able to do AK in a day with some time to spare, albeit getting in at opening and throwing cash at it w/ Genie+. My tip (especially w/ young animal lovers) is to make sure to hit Kilimanjaro Safaris first thing (be on Genie+ at 7am for the booking, and make sure you bought Genie+ the night before so you aren't purchasing when you should be booking, because those early times fill up fast). The animals are more active in the AM and that ride has a way of getting backed up throughout the day. Enjoy!

Great points. At both Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens Tampa, I've had more luck in the early mornings and late evenings with seeing animal activity. But Animal Kingdom tends to have shorter hours, so morning is probably best.

đź’Ż . We usually don't do the busses at MK because the wait can be long coming back, but their transportation usually makes everything easier. I love using the skyliner, even just going to other resorts for breakfast or visits was easy and convenient

Places to consider at the hotels:

Grand Floridian - has at least tree STELLAR restaurants, one on the lake (Narcoosee's) and two in the main building (Victoria & Albert's and Citrico's). Probably the best restaurants on property overall.
Polynesian - I love hitting this place on the 2nd floor for breakfast. Do NOT do the luau, and maaaaybe do the restaurant in the main building on the first floor (Ohana).
Contemporary - I love California Grill. Fantastic spot. Only comes in secibd behind the Grand Floridian restaurants.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - a few fantastic restaurants in here as well, from more formal (Jiko and Sanaa), to one more "hunt-and-gather" (Boma, and yes, it's buffet style, but very spread out, that's the intention of the theme)
Coronado Springs - very possibly the best restaurants in the "mid-priced" Disney hotels, Toledo is an excellent steakhouse

And if you go over to Disney Springs...
Jaleo - amazing
Enzo's Hideaway - one of my favorite "unusual" spots
Homecomin' (Chef Art Smith)
Polite Pig (park version of The Ravenous Pig in Orlando) and Gideon's Bakehouse are two Orlando-local favorites in their non-park versions, so definitely try these; the line for Gideon's can run over an hour at times

Grand Floridian - has at least tree STELLAR restaurants, one on the lake (Narcoosee's) and two in the main building (Victoria & Albert's and Citrico's). Probably the best restaurants on property overall.
Polynesian - I love hitting this place on the 2nd floor for breakfast. Do NOT do the luau, and maaaaybe do the restaurant in the main building on the first floor (Ohana).
Contemporary - I love California Grill. Fantastic spot. Only comes in secibd behind the Grand Floridian restaurants.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - a few fantastic restaurants in here as well, from more formal (Jiko and Sanaa), to one more "hunt-and-gather" (Boma, and yes, it's buffet style, but very spread out, that's the intention of the theme)
Coronado Springs - very possibly the best restaurants in the "mid-priced" Disney hotels, Toledo is an excellent steakhouse

Jaleo - amazing
Polite Pig (park version of The Ravenous Pig in Orlando) and Gideon's Bakehouse are two Orlando-local favorites in their non-park versions, so definitely try these; the line for Gideon's can run over an hour at times
Don't forget Raglan Road in Disney Springs.

Jaleo - amazing
My one concern is if he is looking for more cost effective hotels, them Grand Floridian and Polynesian likely price themselves out. But i agree overall. Ohana breakfast is one of my favorites and one of the few places could see Lilo & Stitch together. I would also add Fort Wilderness and Story Book Dining/character dining. But if his kids are animal crazy like he mentioned then Animal Kingdom Lodge would be great with safari room. But idk what price range he's looking for.

Don't forget Raglan Road in Disney Springs.

I agree - it's fun and kids usually love it too. Also, I know everyone loves the Boathouse. The food is petty good and the boats/boat theme is cool, but it was a big meh for me.

Advertisement
Back