The Work: Fallout from AQM & Grace

View as article
Ridiculous to complain this took too long as if the whole world needs to stop everything they are doing to resolve this issue. People work,are busy,have other projects going on ect...

Just be thankful it was resolved now and not 3 - 4 games into the season.

Worse still, be thankful it was caught now and did not become a systemic problem involving more players .

Advertisement
It took too long bc UM had to make sure they got this right! Let's say they just suspended the players for a few games only to later find out that the players had lied to UM etc. also bear in mind that MOST lawyers make money when things are dragged out-like it or not. Lastly CMR probably did everything in his might to keep the players and likely exhausted all possibilities- I am good with that!

Very simple - UM could not afford another scandal- that is all we need to know about how this went down.

As far as Pete's observation I agree that keeping Coley was crucial and look for more nickel packages with Carter and Johnson filling in for Grace. They are talented and could be the solution as far as I am concerned

I'm really nervous about coley. We lose him we're in big trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Compliance better not suspend Coley late into the season, I understand being cautious because of probation, but anything more than a 1 game suspension would be total bullsh*t. And if they're going to do anything, it better be before we play GTech.
Anything more than that, and they're clearly trying to sabotage this team.

please outline the underlying facts around Coley's involvement and the basis for this one game suspension

we are all very nervous about Coley and clearly you have the inside track from the grassy knoll
Smarmy sarcasm nice...
I never said I had any inside track... My comment was in reference to Pete saying that Coley could still be suspended.
If that were the case, when exactly would that ruling take place & for how long? Considering the way compliance handled this situation by kicking two of our best players off the team a week before the season starts, it's not far fetched to assume they should expedite the process no?

Weren't you around during the Shapiro nonsense?
That stuff blew up in Aug2011 and yet we still had basketball players getting suspended late into the 2011-2012 season.
Okay, so does that mean I should be excited about the idea of Coley possibly being suspended late into the season? Lol...
I'm arguing that if anything is going to happen to Coley, that it should happen soon before we get into the bulk of our meaningful games, and you guys have an issue with that?

It took too long bc UM had to make sure they got this right! Let's say they just suspended the players for a few games only to later find out that the players had lied to UM etc. also bear in mind that MOST lawyers make money when things are dragged out-like it or not. Lastly CMR probably did everything in his might to keep the players and likely exhausted all possibilities- I am good with that!

Very simple - UM could not afford another scandal- that is all we need to know about how this went down.

As far as Pete's observation I agree that keeping Coley was crucial and look for more nickel packages with Carter and Johnson filling in for Grace. They are talented and could be the solution as far as I am concerned

Spot on except that Coach Mark Richt had nothing to do with the investigations and suspensions.

Advertisement
This serves as a reminder that just because they signed Richt...we shouldn't all begin to act like we STILL don't have the worst ******* administration in the country.

I'm not even kidding. I've sat in on more board meetings for various large organizations than I can remember over the years and I'd be willing to bet every dollar I have to my name that the ******* morons calling the shots at the University of Miami are easily the most clueless bunch of decision makers that have ever been assembled to make decisions within an NCAA program.

They hired a new coach...but what Frenk REALLY needs to do is clean house everywhere else within the program. The root of problem that has dragged this program down for the last 10-15 years is still there and just waiting for another opportunity to **** this up for us again.

Last edited:
Compliance better not suspend Coley late into the season, I understand being cautious because of probation, but anything more than a 1 game suspension would be total bullsh*t. And if they're going to do anything, it better be before we play GTech.
Anything more than that, and they're clearly trying to sabotage this team.

please outline the underlying facts around Coley's involvement and the basis for this one game suspension

we are all very nervous about Coley and clearly you have the inside track from the grassy knoll
Smarmy sarcasm nice...
I never said I had any inside track... My comment was in reference to Pete saying that Coley could still be suspended.
If that were the case, when exactly would that ruling take place & for how long? Considering the way compliance handled this situation by kicking two of our best players off the team a week before the season starts, it's not far fetched to assume they should expedite the process no?

That stuff blew up in Aug2011 and yet we still had basketball players getting suspended late into the 2011-2012 season.
Okay, so does that mean I should be excited about the idea of Coley possibly being suspended late into the season? Lol...
I'm arguing that if anything is going to happen to Coley, that it should happen soon before we get into the bulk of our meaningful games, and you guys have an issue with that?

I share your concern as I'm sure most Cane fans do.
But what can one do?
Yeah, it would be nice if all of this would be wrapped up in a tidy manner so we can all move on.
But this is UM, and those sort of garbage happens to this program more often than not.
So I am going to work hard to root for whomever remains on the roster and not worry
about who isn't.

Last edited:
They would've been better off getting arrested for actually stealing an exotic car than doing it the way they did it. Then they could be punished however we saw fit absent of worrying about the NCAA.

That's how crazy these rules are. But they are the rules, and they knew em.

This serves as a reminder that just because they signed Richt...we shouldn't all begin to act like we STILL don't have the worst ****ing administration in the country.

I'm not even kidding. I've sat in on more board meetings for various large organizations than I can remember over the years and I'd be willing to bet every dollar I have to my name that the ****ing morons calling the shots at the University of Miami are easily the most clueless bunch of decision makers that have ever been assembled to make decisions within an NCAA program.

They hired a new coach...but what Frenk REALLY needs to do is clean house everywhere else within the program. The root of problem that has dragged this program down for the last 10-15 years is still there and just waiting for another opportunity to **** this up for us again.

So where did the administraton mess up in this situation?
Please elaborate.

Advertisement
This serves as a reminder that just because they signed Richt...we shouldn't all begin to act like we STILL don't have the worst ****ing administration in the country.

I'm not even kidding. I've sat in on more board meetings for various large organizations than I can remember over the years and I'd be willing to bet every dollar I have to my name that the ****ing morons calling the shots at the University of Miami are easily the most clueless bunch of decision makers that have ever been assembled to make decisions within an NCAA program.

Yeah, the University really seems to be holding on by a thread.

Smarmy sarcasm nice...

I share your concern as I'm sure most Cane fans do.
But what can one do?
Yeah, it would be nice if all does would wrapped up in a tidy manner so we can all move on.
But this is UM, and those sort of garbage happens to this program more often than not.
So I am going to work hard to root for whomever remains on the roster and not worry
about who isn't.
Fair enough...

images-19.jpg

The bottom line here is that this could be our alternate logo if we want to factor in our current relationship with the NCAA. Is it fair? No. Are we an extremely easy target for an organization that enjoys flexing muscle in an attempt to hide how powerless they really are over a ton of other programs? Yes. Everyone knows this too so while the loss of these players sucks it shouldn't be met with any surprise or extreme anger. It is what it is and we just have to function without exposing ourselves to these type of deals.

So which precinct of the Keystone Kops did they hire as the outside entity? If you are going to ***** around this long and know the issue is the probation, you hold AQM and Grace in "suspension awaiting investigation completion" hold (still practice) and roll the dice with Coley. Come the day after VTech, you complete the investigation, state they did do something wrong, but have Lou Freeh on the payroll to state "No reasonable prosecuter would ask for additional games suspended, it should be time served" and have AQM and Grace ask for an expedited ruling from the NCAA.

You get a fresh AQM and Grace back for five crucial (maybe six if the power goes out in Blacksburg and it's postponed to Saturday) games, they still get their senior days in front of family and friends, as oppossed to being a drag on recruiting ("You see how UM threw their players on the bus, come play for us in _______), and Richt is looked as being in touch, not out of touch.

***** you again Blake James, fly the freaking banner, he is still playing checkers!

Advertisement
Ridiculous to complain this took too long as if the whole world needs to stop everything they are doing to resolve this issue. People work,are busy,have other projects going on ect...

Just be thankful it was resolved now and not 3 - 4 games into the season.

Worse still, be thankful it was caught now and did not become a systemic problem involving more players .

No, I'm pretty sure that group called the "compliance department" pretty much exists solely for the purpose of handling compliance issues. Especially like this.

The football program? Yeah, actually it has been.

I know this sounds ground breaking but it is possible to run and operate a successful institution of higher learning while also not running the football program into the ******* ground via pure incompetence, neglect, lack of vision, and poor planning and management.

There's still some house cleaning that needs to be done. My hope is Frenk will get around to bringing this program's interest into the modern era.

So which precinct of the Keystone Kops did they hire as the outside entity? If you are going to ***** around this long and know the issue is the probation, you hold AQM and Grace in "suspension awaiting investigation completion" hold (still practice) and roll the dice with Coley. Come the day after VTech, you complete the investigation, state they did do something wrong, but have Lou Freeh on the payroll to state "No reasonable prosecuter would ask for additional games suspended, it should be time served" and have AQM and Grace ask for an expedited ruling from the NCAA.

You get a fresh AQM and Grace back for five crucial (maybe six if the power goes out in Blacksburg and it's postponed to Saturday) games, they still get their senior days in front of family and friends, as oppossed to being a drag on recruiting ("You see how UM threw their players on the bus, come play for us in _______), and Richt is looked as being in touch, not out of touch.

***** you again Blake James, fly the freaking banner, he is still playing checkers!

Yes, and the good folks at the NCAA would not even notice how slick UM was in handling it in
that matter.
SMFH.

Advertisement

The football program? Yeah, actually it has been.

I know this sounds ground breaking but it is possible to run and operate a successful institution of higher learning while also not running the football program into the ****ing ground via pure incompetence, neglect, lack of vision, and poor planning and management.

There's still some house cleaning that needs to be done. My hope is Frenk will get around to bringing this program's interest into the modern era.

Oh, so now it's just about the football program. Got it.

View attachment 37828

**The Hurricanes received brutal news yesterday when Al-quadin Muhammad and Jermaine Grace were permanently dismissed from the program. The loss of Grace is especially devastating considering Miami’s lack of experience at linebacker. This was the final chapter of a troubled Miami career for Muhammad, who also missed an entire season after an altercation with his roommate. A few things to note in the fallout…

1) Make no doubt about it that both Grace and Muhammad made punishable mistakes by NCAA rules, but this was an example of compliance going out of their way protect the school from becoming implicated while still on probation. Miami used outside counsel with no ties to the players or school who suggested that the administration take the action of removing the two players from the program. If Miami was not still on probation until October 21st, there’s speculation that we might have just seen these guys ruled ineligible, suspended a few games, and forced to pay back the improper benefits – but there was no chance that the school wanted to get themselves in more hot water with the NCAA. My question continues to be why did it take so long for this to get figured out? Coaches did not know the verdict until late Thursday. It’s hard to know how aggressive the investigation was from the start, but I don’t understand how something the school has known about for months is not resolved until a week before the season.

2) Stacy Coley, who was also being investigated for his involvement in the luxury car rental situation, will remain with the program according to multiple sources. A suspension is still a possibility, but his ties were apparently not as strong as the other two. Quite frankly, Coley would have been the most severe loss of the three because there is nobody on the offensive side of the ball who can replicate what he brings.

3) What does this mean on the field? As it stood, Miami was already planning to use a nickel-base defense this season against spread heavy teams – the coaches had alluded to it a few times during fall camp. This means that the Canes will probably be running out two linebacker sets for a majority of the snaps in some games and that should help just a bit, although depth at linebacker is still not ideal. The emergence of Adrian Colbert on the outside will allow Corn Elder to get a lot of snaps at slot corner. Sheldrick Redwine fits the bill as the other boundary corner. Miami also loves to use JaQuan Johnson in the nickel, and he could wind up being one of the most crucial players on the defense this season.

4) The freshmen linebackers will all be relied upon. Shaq Quarterman and Mike Pinckney are ready to be impact players as long as they are healthy. Zach McCloud really came on late in camp. Jamie Gordinier will also be on the field a lot and Charles Perry may be asked to play a larger role than we had anticipated.

5) Muhammad is a loss from a talent standpoint and you never want to lose guys with the pass rush potential that he has – but AQM had yet to truly show what he had. To his defense, he was much better served with this scheme and coaching, but it’s not like Miami is losing a sure fire top-3 round draft pick. Chad Thomas, Demetrius Jackson, Trent Harris, and Joseph Jackson is a uniquely talented group, and the talent inside is crucial as well.

notwithstanding pete's fine trajectory on other stories, there is nothing new in this "Work". everything he said there from the "news" side i could have gleaned from twitter/traditional reporting and this board, which leads me to believe that he knows more than what he is revealing. i'm not criticizing him in any way, but my guess is that pete is certainly sitting on some information that for myriad reasons he has chosen not to reveal.

UM did the right thing. these guys did the wrong thing. time to move on. lock and load

Not only do we have to fight off other school for recruits we must fight off our on administration. Our administration has a tendency to throw kids under the bus with anything related to football.

I feel as if the school overreacted. All players are eligible to play for others schools with no penalty so why were they kicked out of school?

We had players allegely take benefits from Shapiro who transferred to other schools and never lost eligibility.
Players like Arthur Brown and maybe Marve.

I may be wrong but weren't Brown and perhaps Marve given immunity for speaking with the NCAA?

Fair points.

Advertisement
Back