The Work: August 15th practice recap (DL featured)

Advertisement
Everyone saying Coach Kool is one of the best...Why wasn't Missouri going to retain Kool?

Everyone saying Coach Kool is one of the best...Why wasn't Missouri going to retain Kool?

You talk to missouri about that. You really questioning that man as a coach with his resume? You need to stop trying to watch football if you are.

You talk to missouri about that. You really questioning that man as a coach with his resume? You need to stop trying to watch football if you are.

i think he is a great coach and am ecstatic to have him. Still wondering why they were going to let him go lol

i think he is a great coach and am ecstatic to have him. Still wondering why they were going to let him go lol

It's a fair question, but you definitely implied that he was overrated.

Advertisement
Richt said that Edwards would be the “off-return man”, but that if the ball goes his way, he will return it.

I can't wait to see teams try and tackle 245lbs with a head of steam.

I disagree, he's too slow to return kicks. I am not a fan of this move at all.

You do know he runs a 4.5 flat....@245lbs.

That dude dont run no 4.5 flat.

Kid had pretty ridiculous track times in HS too for his size. He's a 4.5 guy no doubt. It's long speed that actually translates to kickoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs a faster 40 than walton and yearby.

Everybody here loves hearing good things about the defense. When's the last time we felt good about the DL and defense as a whole. Amazing what a difference a few months can make. We have a legit 2 deep across the front line, Chad, Norton, McIntosh, AQM- then Harris, Willis, Moten/Jenkins, D. Jackson. Let's meet in the backfield!

Advertisement
I can't wait to see teams try and tackle 245lbs with a head of steam.

I disagree, he's too slow to return kicks. I am not a fan of this move at all.

You do know he runs a 4.5 flat....@245lbs.

That dude dont run no 4.5 flat.

Kid had pretty ridiculous track times in HS too for his size. He's a 4.5 guy no doubt. It's long speed that actually translates to kickoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs a faster 40 than walton and yearby.

Running a faster 40 than walton and yearby aint no suprise. I know gus has good speed for a big dude but i dont see no 4.5 flat. I would give him around 4.55.

Not a huge fan of Walton returning kicks. He's pedestrian at it. I'd still love to see that big hoss Gray get a shot back there.

Odom got the DC gig when Kool felt like he should have got it. Odom then didn't want Kool working for him when Odom got the HC gig.

Advertisement

It's a fair question, but you definitely implied that he was overrated.

He is now at the birthplace of the defense he professes so we will see what he is all about. He let's the big dog hunt; I like that. Actually, I think he is Mark's best hire by far. For us to get back we need four things, Miami caliber QB, Miami caliber DTs, and an aggressive attacking Dline, better coaching. Looks like first two are in the house. Kool shows the third. Mark better be the fourth.

I heard it had something to do with the student strike and kools supposed support of the students or something like that. That is what was said on the board have no clue if it's true or not

Advertisement
How much blocking does the off man do and how often does he get the ball? The way I look at it, if you have a 245 lb guy who blocks 90% of the time right at the hole and returns 10%, but has 4.55 speed, that is a decent trade off. If it's more like 50/50 then I don't like it.

I would also be interested to see the stats on costliness of turnovers versus value of long returns. Sure it's great to have someone who has the potential to break one each time, but I'm not sure we have that guy on the roster. Coley is the closest thing, but I'm scared he will get broken in half. If you don't have someone who will get you return touchdowns then I would rather have a guy who secures the ball and gets 5 yards on a return than a guy who can get me 15 but could put it on the deck. Our strength is our future first round quarterback. Make sure he gets a shot to put points on the board by not turning the ball over on special teams.

Do not like what Richt is saying about returns.

Why not? His primary concern is to not turn the ball over on STs. With the O he's going to run out there next year that's understandable.

Walton and Edwards should never be mentioned in the same sentence as returns. We have a number of potentially dangerous returners on the team. From that group, find someone who can catch or teach them to catch. We shouldn't have to resort to ultra safe non threatening returners like walton. The whole tone coming from richt regarding returns in this article is too passive and conservative. But we'll see who he trots out there when the season starts.

Advertisement
Back