The Work: August 15th practice recap (DL featured)

View as article
AQM is not a Senior on the field.

So, apparently you get an infraction for telling the truth around here.

AQM is a Redshirt Junior on the field. Isn't that true?

WTF? SMH

Lol you can't be getting infractions or are you? This is like the 3rd post I have heared you complain about the infractions today lol

Sure am! I am basically getting infractions for saying "I agree."

SMH

Only trolls get infractions for otherwise innocent posts.

Advertisement
Quan needs to get right or he's going to lose millions in the long run. Obviously a wealth of talent I just have a hard time expecting anything out of him consistently. Not knocking the kid, he just seems to be having one of those careers here.

Already has lost a lot of money. Even with a big year i think he will get pushed down in the draft some because of character. He has already been suspended twice and now he is in some more ****. When nfl teams start digging its going to hurt him.

WTF? SMH

tom-cruise-laughing-hysterically_48.gif

The 3rd down packages are going to have a totally new feel to them, I think:

Nickel:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Quarterman/Owens

CB Colbert
DB Carter
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

Dime package:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Carter

CB Colbert
DB Johnson
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

40 sacks in 2016.

40 sacks would've been top ten in the NCAA last season. We only had 26 last season, good for 64th. That big a jump would be amazing and so refreshing to see.

Right. It's what I predicted in another thread: a 50% sack productivity jump. It amounts to about 3/game, where last year we had 2/game.

Advertisement

WTF? SMH

View attachment 37499

Hate the conservative approach on kick return

And I hate turnovers on special teams. You pick. Richt is confident in his offense so he wants every yard he can get.

Pete do the one's ever go against the one's? All I hear is 2 vs 1 and 1 vs 2. Great for the 2's obviously but don't the 1's need to get used to the higher level of comp?

Richt said the 1s go against the 1s in the spring, but in the summer and fall, he wants the 1s against the 2s because the 2s can emulate the opposition's plays during the season better than the scout team. He wants better practices in preparation for the games.

Do not like what Richt is saying about returns.

Why not? His primary concern is to not turn the ball over on STs. With the O he's going to run out there next year that's understandable.

Walton and Edwards should never be mentioned in the same sentence as returns. We have a number of potentially dangerous returners on the team. From that group, find someone who can catch or teach them to catch. We shouldn't have to resort to ultra safe non threatening returners like walton. The whole tone coming from richt regarding returns in this article is too passive and conservative. But we'll see who he trots out there when the season starts.

Another internet coach who knows better than the guys who get paid to make these decisions.

why is everyone freaking out about returns? he said off-return man. which means second line in case it's a squib. why would you not want gus doing that?

Advertisement

Nickel:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Quarterman/Owens

CB Colbert
DB Carter
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

Dime package:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Carter

CB Colbert
DB Johnson
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

40 sacks in 2016.

Was literally thinking about our dime package yesterday. First team is quite solid, but man if we get injuries teams will look to spread us out and pick their spots.

What exactly is the difference between a nickel and dime football defense? They both have 2 LBs and 5 DB's so I don't see what the difference is and in what case you would use each of them.

Nickel:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Quarterman/Owens

CB Colbert
DB Carter
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

Dime package:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Carter

CB Colbert
DB Johnson
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

40 sacks in 2016.

This is a very legit possibility IMO. With the scheme change and better coaching alone we should get 40. We have the studs up front to dominate. Now that the coaches are taking off the leashes I can see it happening.

If they got 26 with a read and react defense, the scheme alone will add a lot more, and on top of that, they have a real DL coach now. AQM is also playing for NFL money now, for added motivation.

Nickel:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Quarterman/Owens

CB Colbert
DB Carter
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

Dime package:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Carter

CB Colbert
DB Johnson
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

40 sacks in 2016.

Was literally thinking about our dime package yesterday. First team is quite solid, but man if we get injuries teams will look to spread us out and pick their spots.

What exactly is the difference between a nickel and dime football defense? They both have 2 LBs and 5 DB's so I don't see what the difference is and in what case you would use each of them.

In a true dime, there was only one linebacker on the field.

Advertisement
I would consider Carter for nickel linebacker. He's no great in deep third coverage anyway. With of give you some good speed there and he's plenty big enough to help the run.

I think Berrios will be the punt returner for sure. He's shown good wiggle and he's got reliable hands. I think Corn or Berrios will start the year at KO returner

You can tell from the quotes that the players have bought in. Most players at this level who have been playing since Pop Warner can sniff bad coaching from a mile away.

That tidbit about AQM is interesting, sounds like he completely tuned Goldilocks out…don't blame him

I disagree, he's too slow to return kicks. I am not a fan of this move at all.

You do know he runs a 4.5 flat....@245lbs.

Your point? He has done nothing to show any physicality and Coach Brown has re-emphasized that point thus far in practice. I wish some of you guys get off of the hype train of Gus. Until he shows that he's a big back, I'm not falling in love w/ his size or his speed.

Richt has said otherwise. Get off the ***** train.

Pretty sure Imma trust his position coach. Richt has already said he hasn't been paying too much attention to other positions, other than QB. ****, Richt didn't even know if a player was at practice a day or so ago. Anyways, we have 2 years of film of Gus being nothing more than a finesse back, so why am I even debating w/ you?

Ya i mean why do we even have coaches right? Obviously nobody ever gets better with experience. Using that logic Mark Walton should never see the field considering he averages 3.5 YPC to Edwards 5.4 YPC. What would you call a back that averages 3.5 YPC if 5.4 is finesse?

Advertisement

Nickel:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Quarterman/Owens

CB Colbert
DB Carter
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

Dime package:

DE Thomas
DT Willis
DT Mcintosh
DE AQM

LB Grace (please)
LB Carter

CB Colbert
DB Johnson
DB Jenkins
CB Elder
CB Redwine

40 sacks in 2016.

In a true dime, there was only one linebacker on the field.

The second LB is Carter, who is a DB. As stated above, Dime only has 1 LB.

Advertisement
Back