The Work 4-6

I know everybody is excited about the Safety position but I think it's mainly because you people are in love with their athleticism and stature... cause they haven't done **** yet this spring. Minus a couple decent hits from Bush and Crawford they have been absent. I need to see plays made ON THE BALL. Do any of our Safeties even have a pick yet this spring? Every time a practice video surfaces all I see is our CB's being toasted and our Safeties missing in action. And two of the players that all of you are most in love with, Carter and Burns, have been some of the most common victims.

I'll hold onto my excitement for now.

I'm not sure why anyone including yourself is making so much out of practice clips. We get 6 plays or so every two to three days. How many plays of 11 on 11 happen in a practice or controlled scrimmage.? Serious question. I don't know. I saw Bush make a spectacular play when Coley ran a post in a past video. Great technique and position. You were crushing Gunter because of fall practice clips last year. He wasn't spectacular in season but that supposed poor practice play that we tried to analyze from Canes Camp reports didn't become a reality in the season for him.

Well if the Safeties were making plays they would be on the clips, no?

Everybody else's stand-out plays make the clips. *shrug*

WildCat loves to rain in on parades.
Don't know what clips you been watching, but the improved safety play is being seen from their physical play especially in the run game where Carter, Bush and Crawford have stood out.
And don't know any safety in the nation that would be able to cover Coley deep. Especially with QB's not being hit.

Advertisement
The fact the job was being handed to Williams already is why were never going to be anything under Golden imo. If hes that good why wasnt he in last year

When was Williams handed the job? Being better than Kevin Olsen doesn't mean your good and has no bearing on why he wasn't in last year. It means you're better than an unproven and at least last year immature freshman.

Pete is some kind of in love with Kaaya - take his commentary with an entire can of salt

Pete was actually promised a role in the next Friday movie. It's called Friday Before Last and the premise is that Pete and Genron move into the hood together. Pete rides Genron around on the handlebars of his bike looking for kids to mentor with Pete making fun of everyone for letting Kaaya get out of state. Should go straight to DVD.

The fact the job was being handed to Williams already is why were never going to be anything under Golden imo. If hes that good why wasnt he in last year

When was Williams handed the job? Being better than Kevin Olsen doesn't mean your good and has no bearing on why he wasn't in last year. It means you're better than an unproven and at least last year immature freshman.

Regarding Ryan Williams, the job was his. The only way Olsen was going to start prior to the injury was if Williams had a flat out terrible spring/fall and Olsen had been close to perfect during that same period.

Thats what Pete said. What has Williams done that there was a fake QB competition???

He's a senior and hes been ok so its his???

Is that why Carter never got on the field last year despite Highsmith and Rodgers being awful

Advertisement
OP, heavily slanted towards freshmans. This will be Golden's first season where he's not going to have to rely much on the incoming freshman class.
And why no mention of key players like Chick and Kirby? Gus is a lock as the #2 RB or else Dallas would have never been moved to Safety. And unless RBs start going down, Yearby better get Redshirted. Being in the RB rotation is not just about how skilled a runner you are.
Pass blocking, knowledge of offense, etc usually dictates who plays and who doesn't.

As for Hamilton, he may not live up to his High School billing but I think he'll be a solid contributor being part of 2 deep rotation.

RB is the easiest position when transitioning to the next level. There are freshman backs who make big impacts every single year. It would not be a surprise to see Yearby as the #2 back by midseason. Yearby is by far the most talented back after Duke. Remember most didnt think Duke would have the freshman year he had.

Advertisement
Williams getting hurt allows another excuse for UM to keep Golden another year if they go 8-4 3rd in Coastal again.
I made this same point 2 days ago, and people got there jimmies in a bunch, but it is true

Williams got hurt in the spring. Plenty of time to get Olsen ready. Golden will be kept because they kept extending him for doing nothing. It won't have anything to do with this metaphorical 8-4.

We have two top 10 type QB's on the roster. I think we will take our lumps, but I imagine the excitement of a young QB is a good thing for a program. More than anything, we need one solid Era.

I think we can be good. 10-2 and a good postseason showing and color me happy.

Kaaya winning the job would not make me excited at all. If a kid comes into a program and gets the starting nod after being there for 3 months, that is very scary.
Me neither. I keep seeing people state that Olsen's start here at Miami is similar other great QB's that redshirted. If anything his career has started out more like Robert Marve than anyone else's. We'll see...

Manziel got arrested. Winston may have raped someone. All during their redshirt year. Then you have Marve. You can't make a connection either way.

Manziel and Winston also put the work in during practice and looked like all-stars from the get-go. Olsen has been less than stellar on the field so far, and has had off-the field issues too.

Bold faced lie. Jamies by all accounts sometimes seemed lazy or disinterested during practices his RS year. I live up here and work and live with FSU fans/students/alumni. None of 'em ever imagined this season happening. During last years spring season a few of their bloggers thought Jacob Coker might actually have shored up the starting job because he was just as good or better than JW in practice and has a stronger arm.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Knowingly being Redshirted and being in your first year of college after always being the guy doesn't necessarily surprise me for a kid to kind of not take the first year so serious. I'll hold judgement til I see him play but I definitely think having Olsen start is the best for our program.

Appreciate the effort in the update, but I'll pass on the second, third and fourth hand of information. Unless you have sat in every practice and both scrimmages, it's all hearsay and speculative.

As for Olsen, bring it on. Sure Williams probably brought more awareness for what the coaching staff wanted to do but his athletic ability was somewhat limited. Olsen on the otherhand brings much more athletic skill but lacks experience. For me, give me the athletic skill any day of the week and twice on Saturday's....

Advertisement
It's always the player that's not on campus that will be the star with our fan base....sad!!! Olsen comes from a family of football players, his dad's a coach, didn't he win 4 titles in high school? not sure where the mental toughness thing is coming from, from outside looking in, seems those are the ingredients from someone who would be tough. I don't care if Duke Johnson is our qb, I just want to win! However, I will not bash our kids on this site until they prove that it is warranted. So he got suspended for a bowl game, so what!

Not sure who ends up at QB, but he won't be short of weapons. Between WR and TE that's the deepest and most diverse group of receiving threats we have had in years. We have had good groups lately but we lacked that one guy that was a game changer at the position. When we faced teams with athletic secondaries, they didn't show our WRs much respect other than taking away Dorsett deep. Hurns was a beast last year but Coley can be even better. Coley made a ton of mistakes last year and I expect him to clean that up.

It's a scary group, especially if Malc is back.....which he looks like he is.

Also, whoever the qb will be, the good thing is they will be surrounded by a veteran team. Should help in a big way!

By all indications from media, the players, and the coaches, Williams wasn't being "handed" anything, he was earning the job by showing great accuracy, leadership, and understanding of the offense. But of course you'd rather just make up some anti-Golden nonsense.

Advertisement
Back